HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 9:58 PM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Blah_Amazing;8687518]I used to think that, but after looking around awhile, I now think there are still plenty of potential sites left in the Central Business District for new towers, though some that are easier to develop then others.

Good observations. I think there are some additional sights as well. For example; The small one story buildings right across the street from the lot #10 you outlined.

C'mon 600+ footer!! I want to get the money to Comrade!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 2:53 AM

Really enjoyed looking at the posts on potential development sites. #1 and #3 must be on someone's radar, not sure if there is something about the lot west of Gracie's that kept it off the list. Site 6 (Earl Holding parking lot) and sites 15,17,18 (1/2 block west of Temple Square), all owned by the LDS Church, are no-brainers and you could throw in the lot north of the Church History Museum (NW corner of North Temple and West Temple). Site 10 north of Washington Square and Site 11 east of the Broadway Theaters parking lot must be on someone's list as well. Those sites could get us unto the 2030s. Site 6 especially, between the Federal Courthouses and Little America, could be a really special development with multiple towers including commercial, housing, and hotel uses and some cool public space similar to but better than either block of City Creek.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The APS Tower would be the only one I'm rooting against. I think tearing down those buildings that front 100 South would be a major loss, especially when there's space for a narrower tower on the vacant property behind them.
For as long as the Prisko's plan are to demolish those storefronts, I'll be hoping their plans never materialize.
I agree. why don't they just build a new tallest on the old zephyr club property (West Temple and 300 south)(Site #3) which they also own? the lot is just as big as the dumb rendering, and it would actually be an improvement at that location.

Last edited by Old&New; Sep 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:24 PM

Anyone know if there is any movement on Lowe Property Group's three "coming soon" apartment buildings in SLC? Dixon Place and Sugar Alley in Sugar House and 6th & Main downtown. loweprop.com/properties

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:41 PM

Almost forgot about those projects:

Sugar Alley:

from MVE Architects

6th & Main:

from MVE Architects

Dixon Place:

from MVE Architects

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:21 PM
One Thing At A Time

So many projects we are just flat out not able to keep them all straight. Feelsgoodman.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Anyone know if there is any movement on Lowe Property Group's three "coming soon" apartment buildings in SLC? Dixon Place and Sugar Alley in Sugar House and 6th & Main downtown. loweprop.com/properties

Same question. I like all three, but especially the Sugar Alley and 6th and Main projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Almost forgot about those projects:

Sugar Alley:

from MVE Architects

6th & Main:

from MVE Architects

Dixon Place:

from MVE Architects

Last edited by delts145; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:14 PM

Another project I've been wondering about is the Hardison on S. Temple. A year ago this month buildingsaltlake.com reported that dirt was finally moving on the site. I don't recall any updates on the forum. How far along is the project at this point?

https://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltla...68%2C372&ssl=1

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:15 PM
ML Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Same question. I like all three, but especially the Sugar Alley and 6th and Main projects.
There has been no movement on any of the lots. They all look the same as when Lowe purchased the properties. You can see the Sugar House ones in my SH photo update a couple weeks ago. Lowe has been really good at proposing things but they've never built anything urban in their history.

That being said, they are going through the review/permitting process for all of them and Lowe obtained their first building permit last week, for Dixon Place, so their first test is now. I see that lot and the Sugar Alley lot every day so I will post if I see any movement. But for now the site is still just a parking lot.

Last edited by airhero; Sep 17, 2019 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:20 PM

Thanks Airhero for that info. Let's hope they at least they get rolling on Dixon. If they can't get things together in Salt Lake's current market then they're not looking to solid. Have you chanced by the Hardison site on S. Temple in the recent past?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:04 PM

The Hardison is under construction but they are moving extremely slow on it. The foundation work is complete, and it appears the entire concrete podium is nearly finished (in other words, up to the first floor on the South Temple facing side).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info Scott. Good to know they're at least finally moving along on it. Ivory is behind it right? I imagine with as many ongoing projects as he has out there, that he needs to keep from having too much capital exposure hanging out in the wind.

Also Scott, since it's you, give us the latest on the film industry's progress. I see where Yellowstone continues its success, and a CW series was picked up for a second season. Are more and more projects building along the Wasatch Front?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Scott. Good to know they're at least finally moving along on it. Ivory is behind it right? I imagine with as many ongoing projects as he has out there, that he needs to keep from having too much capital exposure hanging out in the wind.

Also Scott, since it's you, give us the latest on the film industry's progress. I see where Yellowstone continues its success, and a CW series was picked up for a second season. Are more and more projects building along the Wasatch Front?
Delts,

I'd say it's as busy as it's every been here in the film industry. It seemed like for so long the Film Commission and the Motion Picture Association of Utah were desperately trying to get a series here (after Everwood ended). That was all they talked about was bringing a series to Utah. Now they have too many, and have let a few go because the tax incentives are being eaten up too fast. Dwight in Shining Armor and Outpost both relocated because they couldn't compete with Yellowstone and High School Musical. I worked on the first season of Dwight in Shining Armor, which was a co-production between Vineyard and BYUTV, and the fact that a BYUTV production had to relocate to Georgia says quite a bit of how competitive it's become here. The Film Commission is lobbying hard to get the incentives increased by legislature, but since when has the Utah Leg ever done anything that made sense for Utah workers? If they can't profit from it personally, they won't do anything.

One thing the Film Commission has done which is pretty cool in response to so many big out-of-state productions is create a pool of investment dollars in local talent. They are awarding grants to a number of projects each year to help fund locally created and produced work. My company scored one of these grants this year, which was pretty exciting.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Scott. Good to know they're at least finally moving along on it. Ivory is behind it right?
I think Garbett is behind the Hardison. ICO was working on converting and adding to the old medical building to the east across 500 East although it was approved two years ago. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...e-development/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:59 PM

As I was looking through BSL archives I realized we haven't heard a peep about the one-time proposed Semnani development of the block south of Trolley Square. That was going to be an interesting although somewhat controversial addition to that neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:39 PM

Regent Street Art?

I noticed a bunch of white flags being mounted on the north wall of the Walker Center parking garage (facing the Regent Street Plaza). Does anyone know what these are?

Are they some kind of art installation?

Is the the best we can hope for for a public art project on Regent Street?

Did that grant money dry up?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:36 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
As I was looking through BSL archives I realized we haven't heard a peep about the one-time proposed Semnani development of the block south of Trolley Square. That was going to be an interesting although somewhat controversial addition to that neighborhood.
I thought of this recently too. I hope the project is still alive.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
I think Garbett is behind the Hardison. ICO was working on converting and adding to the old medical building to the east across 500 East although it was approved two years ago. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...e-development/
I think it is safe to say that project is dead, which surprises me considering who is doing it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:41 AM

It sounds like 400 S residents aren't happy with "The Exchange" construction noise:

Quote:
Neighbors fed up with 24/7 construction noise in downtown SLC
POSTED 5:44 PM, SEPTEMBER 19, 2019, BY HAILEY HIGGINS

...Crews at "The Exchange" project at 330 East and 400 South have been working around the clock some nights.

On Thursday, Salt Lake City officials and the Salt Lake County Health Department heard about a dozen official complaints about late-night noise coming from the job site.

“It’s been tough to deal with it,” Brad Leeper said.

Leeper’s apartment overlooking the site gives him a front row seat to the $100 million residential project.

For months, Wadman Construction has worked through the night. Sometimes they start at 10 p.m., other nights at 2 a.m.

“Putting pillows over our head is honestly the best bet at this point,” Brad Leeper said.

In complaints obtained by FOX13, residents told the county health department: ”They should not be able to wake us up,” “noise is reverberating off the neighboring buildings,” and “sleep is impossible.”

In addition to working directly on 400 South, crews poured over a half mile of concrete overnight just this week.

“We are not trying to inconvenience anybody,” Wadman Construction Project Manager Phil Clawson said. “It’s just to get the concrete in.”

Clawson said if the work was done during the day, heavy trucks would line 400 South....
https://fox13now.com/2019/09/19/neig...-downtown-slc/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've also been wondering about that project. Maybe Makid or someone with access to those in the know can give us some updated info, that is if there is any.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West