HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 11:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Very nice, Trevor! I think it's Western Pride that organized it (at least, they're promoting it on Facebook). I was thrilled when I saw it. It'll be great for the West Coast in the long term if people start consciously thinking of Stephenville as being in a similar league with Corner Brook instead of viewing it as a one-community stretch of coastline.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I also just came across the list of events for Pride Week in Stephenville. I think this is the first year for it, so the fact there are only 4 events is not so bad. Hopefully it grows from here.

Sept. 22 - Flag raising and proclamation signing at Town Hall (2:30pm)
Sept. 22 - Coffee House at Common Grounds (6pm)
Sept. 25 - Pride Night at The Bar (11pm)
Sept. 28 - Pride March: Boardwalk Cafe to DSB Fowlow Building (1pm - That's pretty long march actually) followed by BBQ.

We've always been an open and accepting community, so it's about time we had something on the go for Pride week.
My assumption is that it's not about acceptance, morso a population issue.

With so few people in town especially young, my assumption is most gay folk would want to get the hell out of sville.

Otherwise your dating pool with be severely limited.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 12:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, I had no issues in Stephenville at all. I went on a few dates with a guy from town and met his whole family on the second one. Non-issue. One of my coworkers at The Georgian was a good friend so everyone there knew. I danced with guys at the 104. Brought a date from St. John's for some formal.

You get the occasional skeet but they don't even really know what they're saying. A friend had it happen even here just yesterday:

I've yet to experience that. Worst I've gotten shouted at me by passing skeets is "Nice outfit, missus!" - and I was wearing a dress at the time.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:22 PM

More of a historical thing, but kind of interesting nonetheless. I am too young to have ever been to Flashback, but the name and reputation of the place is huge here and not just in the gay community.

http://citymuseumedmonton.ca/2014/09...ay-drag-races/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:21 PM
ARTchitecture

The one-year anniversary of Evolution WonderLounge in Edmonton this past weekend

My hub and I

Me winning a chugging contest against my buddy Abel

Me and my bud with ChiChi Larue

Sources: Me, evolution wonderlounge facebook: https://www.facebook.com/evolutionwonderlounge?fref=ts

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

New for me: my mother is aggressively trying to set me up with her travel agent. This has never happened to me before.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:49 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, I had no issues in Stephenville at all. I went on a few dates with a guy from town and met his whole family on the second one. Non-issue. One of my coworkers at The Georgian was a good friend so everyone there knew. I danced with guys at the 104. Brought a date from St. John's for some formal.

You get the occasional skeet but they don't even really know what they're saying. A friend had it happen even here just yesterday:

I've yet to experience that. Worst I've gotten shouted at me by passing skeets is "Nice outfit, missus!" - and I was wearing a dress at the time.
I'm stealing this~.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
My assumption is that it's not about acceptance, morso a population issue.

With so few people in town especially young, my assumption is most gay folk would want to get the hell out of sville.

Otherwise your dating pool with be severely limited.
My old house had a basement apartment that we rented out to a lesbian couple for a couple of years, they were really nice people and we still chat when we run into each other around town. There are also 2 gay couples on my parents street, one of which is raising a teenage daughter. If you have a significant other and want a nice place to settle down, this can be a great place to come to. If you're single you can find someone but the pool is kind of small for sure.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Interviewed Allan Hawco for the next edition of The 'Out'port.

Relevant quote:

Quote:
Hawco, who has attended Pride-related events in St. John's in the past and can always be counted on to stand up for equality in all forms, was taken aback when asked by The 'Out'port to share a little about his views regarding LGBT issues. For him, LGBT people are simply part of the community as a whole. He wants us to feel accepted and equal, but doesn't view us as being any different from anyone else.

"I... I don't really have any views, to be honest. It's just a non-issue for me. Can you imagine being asked what your views are related to heterosexuality?" he said. "Everyone who isn't being treated equally has my full support, whenever it's needed."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:08 AM

To the guy who said Jasper Avenue is a gay village...I counted two businesses on one block displaying the Pride flag just east of 124th street, and that was it.

Not exactly a village.

As far as the gay scene here goes, I live downtown near the Legislature and there seems to be a very thriving scene here. The area around Whyte Avenue is also very gay friendly.

I was riding the LRT a couple nights ago and two guys were making out pretty furiously (about 11 pm with quite a few drunk "bro" type dudes on board) and nobody said anything.

So...despite being a politically Conservative city by Canadian standards, I don't think that translates into much of a socially conservative mindset. Provincially the city of Edmonton has always been considered the most Liberal city though and the NDP is polling in 1st place here right now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:24 PM
HVAC guru

^ lots of people live within a three block radius of Buddy's. That's as close to a "village" as it gets here. Most who live in those areas are younger and less affluent. You see a lot of gays and lesbians in Strathcona as well, again a younger crowd. The older and more stable population lives where everyone else lives in the city... Although Alberta Avenue, most notably 94st from 113 to 118 aves is a popular choice for those who want a house

A few notable gay folks in my neighborhood, including a former semi-famous performer and writer. We run into him & his partner at the grocery store every once in a while, and joke about living in the 'burbs with all the other "normal" people

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 9:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Pride board is having its elections soon. Almost all of the candidates are trans. Last year had a HUGE trans focus.

And it's STILL not enough:

Luckily we have sane folks here.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 2:03 PM

I thought that was a great moment. This is from the most watched talk-show in France. Anne Dorval is one of the guests this week for the release in Paris of Xavier Dolan's MOMMY. Like most talk show in France (and in Quebec for that matter), the interviews are conducted as a group discussion. In this segment, Anne Dorval explodes with outrage when another guest makes reactionary comments on gay rights, notably guay wedding, and also against feminism.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 9:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Not Canadian but... the American states of Utah, Indiana, Colorado, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin, with a combined population of around 33 million, have finally joined the free world on the winning side of the last great civil rights battle of our era. Over half of the American population now have their civil rights guaranteed under the law

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Not Canadian but... the American states of Utah, Indiana, Colorado, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin, with a combined population of around 33 million, have finally joined the free world on the winning side of the last great civil rights battle of our era. Over half of the American population now have their civil rights guaranteed under the law
Great news. Saw this today. And the even better news is that the byproduct of that ruling means another 9 states could join the list soon.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:28 PM

It's amazing how fast this is all moving! It looks like almost every state will have legalized gay marriage within the next decade or so.

Could you imagine ten years ago thinking it would be legal in a place like Oklahoma or Utah by now?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
It's amazing how fast this is all moving! It looks like almost every state will have legalized gay marriage within the next decade or so.

Could you imagine ten years ago thinking it would be legal in a place like Oklahoma or Utah by now?
It is incredible, I cried a bit while reading about it. Six states, simultaneously... there hasn't been that big of a breakthrough since Brazil legalized it early last year. Also, apparently legalization in Florida is imminent, another 20 million people with guaranteed and protected freedom to live and love.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:25 AM
ARTchitecture

Nevada just legalized today, with Idaho pending an appeal that will surely fail. This brings the total number of freed states (offering civil rights and protection from discrimination at work and school) to 25 + DC, not including Idaho or Florida which will be legalized any day now. As many as 5 more states could join them by the end of the month

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:33 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I just can't take it anymore.

I want to support the trans community, to ensure they have the same rights as the rest of us... but this industry of outrage is sssooo exhausting.

I just... I... what?

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada