HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've never eaten Taco Xpress. If I ever ate at El Gallo, I was a child and don't remember it. Wish I could remember it now.

I like Matt's, Maudie's, and Texican. Enchiladas y Mas is good, but it's so far north for me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Maybe it was an April Fool's joke. I sure was hoping it was a joke when El Gallo on South Congress closed. My family had been going there since the 70s. I still haven't found another Austin Mexican food restaurant that can keep up with it. I'm starving.
I don't think it's a joke. Here's the Google search results page for Maria's Taco Xpress Closing

KEYE, The Austin American Statesman and the ABJ all reported on it at the end of February.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:50 AM
Meh

Site plan for Bouldin Creek Commons, a 4-story office building at the northeast corner of Lamar & West Oltorf.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...mons_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've never eaten Taco Xpress. If I ever ate at El Gallo, I was a child and don't remember it. Wish I could remember it now.

I like Matt's, Maudie's, and Texican. Enchiladas y Mas is good, but it's so far north for me.
Matt's is good, but I was partial to El Gallo over them. Maudie's is actually really good. They have really good enchiladas. I'm not a fan of the Texican. I mostly don't like their salsa, and their rice was kind of dry from what I remember. I usually end up measuring a Mexican food restaurant based on their salsa. I usually polish off a bowl or two before my food arrives.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Matt's is good, but I was partial to El Gallo over them. Maudie's is actually really good. They have really good enchiladas. I'm not a fan of the Texican. I mostly don't like their salsa, and their rice was kind of dry from what I remember. I usually end up measuring a Mexican food restaurant based on their salsa. I usually polish off a bowl or two before my food arrives.
I only recently started eating salsa. Maybe in the last 3 or so years.

Texican's salsa is ok. I don't really know whose I like off the top of my head.

But if you're ever in Lampasas, try Alfredo's. Really good TexMex and their salsa is great. It's not chunky, and has some kick to it. I don't like mine with chunks of tomato, and I don't like it some bland it might as well be ketchup.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:22 AM
Meh

Yeah, I don't like chunks in it either. Salsa should be thin. The chips, too, and absolutely no salt on them. I grew up going with my dad to the El Lago chip factory in East Austin to get those huge hot and fresh bags of chips. It was amazing. That place was demoed a few years ago for an apartment project.

I like making my own salsa, too. It's just so good.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't like chunks in it either. Salsa should be thin. The chips, too, and absolutely no salt on them. I grew up going with my dad to the El Lago chip factory in East Austin to get those huge hot and fresh bags of chips. It was amazing. That place was demoed a few years ago for an apartment project.

I like making my own salsa, too. It's just so good.
Best chips and salsa in Austin are at Taco More on riverside (also another location on Rundberg). The salsa comes out warm, and is fantastic.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:17 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I love salt on my chips.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:47 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I spoke to a rep (employee) from Sackman a few months ago. She confirmed that this building was happening for sure. I am building my personal home on Hether and I fully support this type of project. I like the design too.

My question is does anyone know what is planned for the old Artz Rib House location. Abel's Rib House was supposed to start construction there years ago. Seems weird that since Artz was torn down in 2011, nothing has happened.
Wanted to check in on this project. Feels like La Féria has been ready for demolition most of the year. I'm also moved into the neighborhood and agree these are the sorts of projects we need along SoLa.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Wanted to check in on this project. Feels like La Féria has been ready for demolition most of the year. I'm also moved into the neighborhood and agree these are the sorts of projects we need along SoLa.
I live on Hether, and pass by this everyday. They dropped off 2 excavators a few months ago, then removed them, then repeated that scenario again recently. Weird.

I believe that the ZNA is fighting them over an entrance on Hether. The ZNA got involved with the Artz location (hearsay) and it is turning into a giant waste of opportunity to have a building that connected to the neighborhood and Lamar alike. I hope they don't muck this up too.

Welcome to the hood. I'm sure you will see us around, we ride the neighborhood with our kids all the time.

Join Friends of Zilker when you get settled.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I live on Hether, and pass by this everyday. They dropped off 2 excavators a few months ago, then removed them, then repeated that scenario again recently. Weird.

I believe that the ZNA is fighting them over an entrance on Hether. The ZNA got involved with the Artz location (hearsay) and it is turning into a giant waste of opportunity to have a building that connected to the neighborhood and Lamar alike. I hope they don't muck this up too.

Welcome to the hood. I'm sure you will see us around, we ride the neighborhood with our kids all the time.

Join Friends of Zilker when you get settled.
What isn't ZNA fighting? They fight shit that isn't even within a 5-mile radius of Zilker.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:48 PM

The old La Feria has finally been demolished.

Also, I'm sure this is somewhere in here already...but can someone remind me what's going on at the old Self Storage place next to Sage?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:58 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
What isn't ZNA fighting? They fight shit that isn't even within a 5-mile radius of Zilker.
ZNA is the god damned worst. I hate everything about them since moving here.

There is a local wine shop (Aviary) that they tried to shake down for donations. When he refused he got hit with a bunch of code violation complaints and noise complaints (despite Black Sheep being next door getting zero noise complaints).

Of note in the hood it looks like the old Shell station has something going on and I've noticed that they aren't refilling the tanks on the large 7-11

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:29 PM

What is happening to the Shell gas station on SoLa? I saw that it was all fenced up and seems like it's being slated for demolition.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 7:09 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCirca2014 View Post
What is happening to the Shell gas station on SoLa? I saw that it was all fenced up and seems like it's being slated for demolition.
Yeah, it's a decent sized little lot. Certainly big enough for a restaurant to go into, but doesn't seem big enough for VMU unless it is being paired with properties around it.

Probably going to be a dry cleaners :p

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCirca2014 View Post
I stopped by and asked them, the contractor said they were remodeling the gas station. He didn't know if it was going to continue to be a Shell, but definitely a gas station.

I second that the ZNA is the worst. Do you happen to know they tried to shake them down for money? Sounds shady.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:52 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The old La Feria has finally been demolished.

Also, I'm sure this is somewhere in here already...but can someone remind me what's going on at the old Self Storage place next to Sage?
Same question was asked at shaggytexas. I believe the storage place is adding on.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Same question was asked at shaggytexas. I believe the storage place is adding on.
Well, that's not very exciting.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Well, that's not very exciting.
You and Kevin are better at researching the permit site. But what I could find were permits for storage construction. Maybe you can find something juicier.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Well they've completely razed and leveled the site...maybe they're going to rebuild a nicer storage place...but that would be pretty disappointing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin