HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 11:53 PM

I've got to be honest: the city council is idiotic. I don't understand why they bother talking about affordability when all they do is discourage density. The whole idea of having low-density single family residential anywhere in central Austin prevents affordability. This nonsense about "neighborhood character" that these NIMBYs keep spouting is beyond irritating.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
I've got to be honest: the city council is idiotic. I don't understand why they bother talking about affordability when all they do is discourage density. The whole idea of having low-density single family residential anywhere in central Austin prevents affordability. This nonsense about "neighborhood character" that these NIMBYs keep spouting is beyond irritating.
Yup. The idiot city leaders just don't want to or are unable to grasp the concept that density (supply) must outstrip demand for prices to come down.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yup. The idiot city leaders just don't want to or are unable to grasp the concept that density (supply) must outstrip demand for prices to come down.
Ironic that Jimmy Flannigan, arguably one of the most suburban CMs, voted against the lower height. Kudos to him for doing so, however.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:00 AM

Endeavor will now be able to build that "massive" 125' skyscraper after all! Of course, Tovo and Houston still voted against it.

Quote:
The practical effect of the negotiations and the complex deal: Endeavor Real Estate Group will be able to build a 125-foot-high office building on Capital Metro’s 11-acre site just east of Interstate 35 and downtown Austin, rather than just 70 feet as approved in an earlier vote. But it will stockpile $1.6 million to subsidize more affordable housing in the East Austin neighborhood near the former railyard.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...l1D8Ek4oeObZL/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Endeavor will now be able to build that "massive" 125' skyscraper after all! Of course, Tovo and Houston still voted against it.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...l1D8Ek4oeObZL/
Woo. And also props to CM Pio Renteria, who fought pretty damn hard to keep that 125' mark last night.

Last edited by jbssfelix; Mar 3, 2017 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:01 PM
クラブトクヨ

Awesome! Look forward to seeing this get built.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:11 PM
Meh

Cool. 125 feet is really not that tall at all and there are taller buildings and structures in that area already anyway. It's shorter than the Moonlight Towers which are 165 feet tall, the RBJ Residential Tower that is 155 feet tall, shorter than the RiverView Apartments that is 138 feet, and shorter than the Holly Street Power Plant that was 168 feet tall. It's shorter than the tallest buildings south of the river, West Campus, UT Campus, The Arboretum, The Domain and the midrises around 51st and Lamar. It wouldn't even be the tallest structure at Mueller.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:41 AM
World Traveler

^^ Kevin, way to ruin their self-esteem.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:17 PM

After the contentious and final City Council meeting about this project it wasn't clear if Endeavor was going to go along with the city's requirements for the additional height the city allowed for the office building. Based on this morning's permit filing it looks like it will be 8 or maybe 9 stories. So it will probably end up being that whopping 125' that the city grudgingly allowed.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=879638

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
After the contentious and final City Council meeting about this project it wasn't clear if Endeavor was going to go along with the city's requirements for the additional height the city allowed for the office building. Based on this morning's permit filing it looks like it will be 8 or maybe 9 stories. So it will probably end up being that whopping 125' that the city grudgingly allowed.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=879638
So...assuming that we're looking at a max of 125', what sort of developments are going to go along with that? Are there still plans for a grocery store, or retail, or office space here? I know there have been a couple different developments around this area pitching a grocery store, but it'd sure be nice to have a couple of options. Or, like you could see in DC or NYC, a couple larger stores that could fill the space of a grocery store (i.e. best buy, etc.).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:36 PM

Notice constructions barriers are now up and there was an excavator tearing down trees there yesterday. Seems like site prep has started.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliondollarted View Post
Notice constructions barriers are now up and there was an excavator tearing down trees there yesterday. Seems like site prep has started.
That's good to hear. They filed a permit for a temporary construction entrance for the site that said it would be used beginning 06/21.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:36 AM

I guess because this project is now underway, the final details are being made public.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...niYlS1X50npDO/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:23 AM
World Traveler

I noticed they've laid a lot of double tracks at crossings to make it easier to actually add a second track down the road. Does anyone know when they would actually add a second track? Is that going to coincide with the eventual downtown station upgrade?

Either way, I'm thrilled that this development is pushing forward and finally making something out of that land. As always, could have been better, but something is better than nothing.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I noticed they've laid a lot of double tracks at crossings to make it easier to actually add a second track down the road. Does anyone know when they would actually add a second track? Is that going to coincide with the eventual downtown station upgrade?

Either way, I'm thrilled that this development is pushing forward and finally making something out of that land. As always, could have been better, but something is better than nothing.
I read somewhere the double tracking would occur at several locations to allow trains to pass each other when the two new trains (and a schedule with more frequent stops) come on line.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:52 AM
Love Austin

Ground Breaking this Wednesday at 11:30 am at 412 Comal is open to all! Come out and celebrate!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:56 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I read somewhere the double tracking would occur at several locations to allow trains to pass each other when the two new trains (and a schedule with more frequent stops) come on line.
Nice. I wonder if ridership would ever merit double tracking the entire line.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Nice. I wonder if ridership would ever merit double tracking the entire line.
There isn't the necessary space thru many sections for an entire line with double track. It'd require eminent domain that would destroy hundreds of homes between 183 and Manor Rd, which won't ever happen.

There are potential places in that stretch where you COULD double track without much problem (alongside Burnet MS & from Crestview St. to I-35), which would for all intents and purposes put the line in a position to operate as if it were entirely double tracked.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:46 PM

Any news here on what the final plans are for the development, i.e. Grocery store, etc?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:39 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
There isn't the necessary space thru many sections for an entire line with double track. It'd require eminent domain that would destroy hundreds of homes between 183 and Manor Rd, which won't ever happen.

There are potential places in that stretch where you COULD double track without much problem (alongside Burnet MS & from Crestview St. to I-35), which would for all intents and purposes put the line in a position to operate as if it were entirely double tracked.
That makes sense. It would be too cost prohibitive in that case...and I've seen one situation in China where a subway line was elevated out in the "suburbs"...they had to squeeze between two buildings and actually put one track on top of the other for a couple of blocks before returning to side-by-side. One of the lines in Bangkok does the same thing to make a sharper turn. Other cities in China, they actually went right through buildings! Not that a single-family home would desire that. Imagine dodging a train on your way to the kitchen for your coffee in the morning.

Back to Plaza Saltillo....what is the timeline for the construction of actual buildings? I may have missed that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin