HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:26 PM

Opposition to the ampitheater project starting up. The guy in the video is two-time mayoral candidate Mark Booth.

http://www.stoptheamp.com/index.html

It can't be heartening to them that with more than 400 votes in, the poll is 79% in favor the project.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 2:29 PM

Yeah, it sounds like Booth is just trying to stir up something to maybe try yet another unsuccessful run for mayor

Meanwhile, the city moves forward on its amphitheater plan:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...r-amphitheater

Quote:
"This is the most exciting and dynamic project since Lake Tuscaloosa," Maddox said. "It's going to transform the riverfront and anchor revitalization of the central city and West Tuscaloosa."
One other bit I haven't seen is that I heard the city's looking into the possibility of using the old Allen-Jemison building downtown for some sort of cultural arts complex. The Episcopal church owns the aging building, and unable to find a buyer, has been leaning toward demolishing it, since it costs a lot to maintain.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
One other bit I haven't seen is that I heard the city's looking into the possibility of using the old Allen-Jemison building downtown for some sort of cultural arts complex. The Episcopal church owns the aging building, and unable to find a buyer, has been leaning toward demolishing it, since it costs a lot to maintain.
A great idea if it comes to fruition!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 3:58 AM

A few notes:

UA's new science & engineering buildings will cover 900,000 square feet:
http://uanews.ua.edu/2009/06/design-...ational-award/

Rendering of Tuscaloosa's downtown amphitheater :
http://www.tuscaloosa-al.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1549

Two sizable new government buildings opened this week, the new fire station HQ at the corner of 15th Street and Greensboro Ave and the Tuscaloosa County Health Department across from Bowers Park.

UA-owned local TV station will cover half the state's population when it goes digital tomorrow: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...w-WVUA-viewers

Pate considering purchasing property adjacent to McFarland Mall:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...cFarland-Mall-
Quote:
Pate says he is trying to find a balance between short term and long term goals for the development he calls "Encore Tuscaloosa."
Here's a rendering of what the Tuscaloosa downtown hotel/convention center could've looked like (Too bad city scrapped the idea as not feasible when the national economy tanked) :
http://www.ellisarchitects.com/proje...conceptual.php

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 4:25 AM

Thumbs up

Cool links. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
A few notes:

UA's new science & engineering buildings will cover 900,000 square feet:
http://uanews.ua.edu/2009/06/design-...ational-award/
Very excited about this as we are moving into our new labs and offices in SECII at the beginning of July!

Quote:

Two sizable new government buildings opened this week, the new fire station HQ at the corner of 15th Street and Greensboro Ave and the Tuscaloosa County Health Department across from Bowers Park.
Wow, I didn't even know the Health Department was moving. That's great news. The old complex looked stuck in the 80s.

Quote:
Pate considering purchasing property adjacent to McFarland Mall:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...cFarland-Mall-
"Encore Tuscaloosa" sounds like the "Celebrate Alabama" project in Auburn/Opelika. Is that still on the table? I'm glad Pate understand the value of making the city look vibrant from those passing by at 70mph.

Quote:
Here's a rendering of what the Tuscaloosa downtown hotel/convention center could've looked like (Too bad city scrapped the idea as not feasible when the national economy tanked) :
http://www.ellisarchitects.com/proje...conceptual.php
That farmer's market looks good. They need to fast track that. I don't see anybody else clamoring for the old Tuscaloosa Chevy property. The Ampitheathre looks pretty large. Is there even enough land on that property? I've never gotten a good sense of scale for that area.

And about that hotel/convention center... Unfortunately, it's probably way too expensive to finance in this economy. If only David Bronner would bestow some his magic investment money this way...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 4:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Some great stuff. If Phase III starts sometime this coming school year, I'll be able to take pictures of the progress from my dorm's bedroom window. I'll be on the 11th floor of Rose Not the most glamorous place to live, but I can see nearly all of campus from there.

We're (the Geography department) is supposed to move into the creatively named "Biology Building" as soon as Phase II is finished. Hopefully they'll change the name of the building to something worth reading...

I can't wait for the amphitheater gets finished. The University just needs to plop and anchor on its end so we can make full use of the riverfront.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
That farmer's market looks good. They need to fast track that. I don't see anybody else clamoring for the old Tuscaloosa Chevy property. The Ampitheathre looks pretty large. Is there even enough land on that property? I've never gotten a good sense of scale for that area.
I heard that the city-owned parcel where the amphitheater is going is about 16 acres (though that includes a bit of land under the bridge.
The city also owns property on the other side of the railroad track.

Once the farmer's market moves to the riverfront, that parcel will open up, too, as the city owns the whole side of the hill there (farmer's market up through the "Cityfest block").

The Chevy property is another 7+ acres, if I recall.

Quote:
And about that hotel/convention center... Unfortunately, it's probably way too expensive to finance in this economy. If only David Bronner would bestow some his magic investment money this way...
That's true, but that hotel/convention center plus that office building on the same link would've been enormous for downtown. It was hard to tell from the rendering, but looked like at least 20 stories. I have no idea who would've even had plans drawn up for such a thing.

Bronner had looked at a site on the UA campus (roughly across University Blvd from Newk's, where UA built the big parking lot) a few years ago for a possible hotel. I don't think the city wanted to pay the incentives he wanted.
We're definitely overdue for an RSA development, compared to the rest of the state.

Although not "urban development" per se (but was created to protect the land from the eastern bypass and related development) , I found a discussion of the plans for the 250-acre Hurricane Creek nature preserve on the newspaper forum:
http://forums.tuscaloosanews.com/eve...5/m/4471033788

Quote:
The University just needs to plop and anchor on its end so we can make full use of the riverfront.
I know they were talking about a UA rowing center at one point.

Long-term, also keep an eye on the area near the Riverview boat landing for future riverfront development. The "Bluffs at Waterworks Landing" apartments that are there now (that the university contracts for overflow student housing)
are only the first phase of development of a 30+ acre property that includes an old city water treatment facility. Probably half or more of the land will need to be preserved in a natural state, but there is still room for significant development there. If UA does go ahead and buy Bryce, that property would be extremely convenient. I could easily imagine a hotel or sizable condo there.

Quote:
I'll be on the 11th floor of Rose
My condolences

That does remind me, though, of the next tower over that Pate owns:
http://www.claravernerapartments.com/
I wonder if the Clara Verner property is large enough that Pate could eventually build a second tower there ?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 8:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Haha, yea... I'm hoping it won't be too bad up there. I was at the Highlands last year, so this is kinda a downgrade. Though, I will enjoy being able to control the temperature in my room.

And trust me, there isn't enough room to build a second Clara Verner, though that was the original plan when the building was originally built.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 8:14 PM

New federal courthouse construction could start as soon as November and would be completed within twenty (20) months of construction.

The courthouse will be built in grand Greek Revival style to complement other buildings in town. I don't like the design, but I'm not Richard, the Duke of Shelby, and don't have the means to direct pork this way.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...n-a-fast-track

Like something about the New Deal (which is probably the source of a provision that states that 0.5% of the funds for a federal construction project must go to commissioning original art), the courthouse will have 16 grand murals depicting Tuscaloosa history.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...906139945/1007

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 5:17 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but I like the design for the courthouse. I like the more traditional styles instead of these opulent, extreme, futuristic modernistic buildings. <--Unless it's tastefully done.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:33 PM

I just think it's misplaced. If this building were on the UA campus I would sing another tune, but as it is nothing else downtown would remotely look the same. It will stick out like a sore thumb.

As I have no sense of scale, I don't know how big a 129,000 square foot building is, but I also think it would have been nice if the GSA had been able to stick with the modernist design, which probably would have yielded a new tall for downtown instead of Shelby's Nero-like monument to himself. (Don't doubt for a minute this thing won't be named after him or someone else of his choosing.)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 6:26 PM

I'm just glad that we're getting some money flowing in for any reason.
Considering how much development has stalled out elsewhere in the country,
the reported $108 million for the downtown redevelopment project (including the $67 M to build the Federal building) is coming at a great time for us.

Quote:
As I have no sense of scale, I don't know how big a 129,000 square foot building is,
To put it in perspective, Shelby Hall I or a Wal-Mart Supercenter cover about 200,000 square feet apiece, and full-sized grocery stores are often in the 40-50,000 square foot range. I think the "tower" portion of the old First National Bank building (RBC Centura or whatever they call it now) is in the neighborhood of 20,000 square feet or so.

The RSA Tower in Mobile has 570,000 square feet of floor space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_Battle_House_Tower

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:05 PM

Well, judging by this photograph of the model, the courthouse is only going to be two stories tall.

So this is going to have the footprint and charm of a two-story tall Publix? Lovely.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:47 PM

As an additional point of comparison, I found that the Tuscaloosa SuperTarget is 175,000 square feet.

Also, I noticed some work being done at the old "Cheap Shots" space on the university strip (next to Pita Pit). Anyone heard what's going in there ?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:18 AM
---

Druid, someone told me what they were doing to Cheap Shots but I cant remember...Ill ask again tomorrow.

A little news on Foster Auditorium.

Quote:
On Friday, when the Alabama System Board of Trustees meet in the Bryant Conference Center, there will be at least one extremely interesting basketball item to discuss.

I feel like new coach Anthony Grant will be waiting to see how it goes down.

According to the agenda for the meeting put online, UA trustees will begin discussions on a new basketball practice facility that costs an estimated $4.5 million. There will also be a discussion of a budget for renovating Foster Auditorium for the women, which, according to the Physical Properties resolution, could cost as much as $15.1 million.

On page 13, this is what it says for the men: "Consideration of Resolution approving preliminary Budget for Renovation and Expansion of Coleman Coliseum for New Men's Basketball Practice Facility at UA (Stages I and II)."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I just think it's misplaced. If this building were on the UA campus I would sing another tune, but as it is nothing else downtown would remotely look the same. It will stick out like a sore thumb.

As I have no sense of scale, I don't know how big a 129,000 square foot building is, but I also think it would have been nice if the GSA had been able to stick with the modernist design, which probably would have yielded a new tall for downtown instead of Shelby's Nero-like monument to himself. (Don't doubt for a minute this thing won't be named after him or someone else of his choosing.)
Oddly enough, Shelby Hall is named after his wife.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
So this is going to have the footprint and charm of a two-story tall Publix? Lovely.
Well, you have to realize, most grocery stories are HUGE floors, and very few rooms, very few walls. This courthouse will have many walls, and many rooms. So, you have to guess that the amount of land a Publix building takes up is gonna be much smaller than this courthouse is gonna take up.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Druid, someone told me what they were doing to Cheap Shots but I cant remember...Ill ask again tomorrow.

A little news on Foster Auditorium.
Sorry for the numerous replies. I don't know how to do multiple quotes in a single reply.

Anyways, I'm sure that the this practice facility will go through, and I'm hoping that the University will also show the same amount of courtesy to the Womens basketball and volleyball teams and renovate Foster. I'm sure both will happen, it's just a question about when.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Sorry for the numerous replies. I don't know how to do multiple quotes in a single reply.
D'ya see on the bottom right hand corner of each post? The middle one is Multiquote button. Press it (it will highlight) for each post you want to reply to. Then hit the "Post Reply" button at the top or bottom of the page instead of using the quick reply feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Well, you have to realize, most grocery stories are HUGE floors, and very few rooms, very few walls. This courthouse will have many walls, and many rooms. So, you have to guess that the amount of land a Publix building takes up is gonna be much smaller than this courthouse is gonna take up.
Well, yeah. Actually a Publix would take more space since it would need a parking lot. Let's step back from this and remember the bigger picture. The courthouse was designed the to fill up an entire city block. It will be an imposing presense for sure. I'm just lamenting the second missed opportunity for real urban-looking building to our downtown area. The new Rosen Harwood building on Jack Warner would have looked so awesome downtown instead of below the hill. And now this courthouse which would more in place in antebellum Richmond than a city aspiring to be relavent and modern.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:16 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, I was referring to the building alone, not including the entire grocery campus. Wow.. I just succeeded at making a grocery store sound important... ANYWAYS, thanx for explaining how to use that thingy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast