HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:20 AM
Londoner

London one of Canada's best-managed cities, survey says

London one of Canada's best-managed cities, survey says

Thu, July 16, 2009

Macleans ranking measures most services for lowest cost

London has placed among the top ranks in a survey naming the best-managed cities in Canada.

The survey, done by the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies for Macleans magazine and released today, ranks London seventh out of 31 cities in the study that looked at what cities offered the most services for the lowest cost.

“It is positive that we are in the Top 10 and our aim is to improve year-to-year, to continue to be successful in managing the corporation,” said Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best.

“I think Macleans is legitimate, independent and objective. I think this shows clearly that we are in the top-ranked cities. I just hope the next time they do this we finish even higher.”

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yeah, Whatever, AM deC-B.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:46 PM

I'm sorry, but all I have to say is.

Hahahahahahahahaha.......

London..... best.... managed..... you gotta be kidding me right?

My dad works for the city and even he laughs.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:36 PM
London/Cambridge

How much did City of London pay to get their name in the magazine?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:20 AM

Even with their twisted rankings standards we scored 7/31...a B! Makes me want to run down to friday night lights and chest-bump (or high-five) the mayor, knowing how little irony she would see in the gesture.

"it's one thing of course to know you're adequate, but to have a fellow member of the press stand up and say 'yes, you sir are adequate'...well, let me tell you, it's a very special thing"
-Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman, News Radio)

"This constant bickering is going to put me in a coma!"

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
Londoner

Top rating will help city handle hard 2010

A great credit rating means London city hall can invest and plan growth for the future during what is expected to be one of the most challenging years ever, municipal politicians say.

Moody's gave London city hall an AAA rating again for 2008 -- the highest possible rank, which gives London the best available terms for borrowing and lending.

"We can make some significant investments to get the economy going again" in the face of the economic downturn, Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell said yesterday.

"One of the reasons why we have low operating costs is that our police, our other services are so efficient," he said.

"This demonstrates that we are managing well."

London has maintained its AAA rating for decades, despite a borrowing binge from 1999 to 2003.

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best said yesterday the rating "sends a signal out to those who want to invest here that we are a great place to make those kinds of investments. We use these kinds of ratings to sell London, definitely."

Borrowing for big-ticket projects drove the amount of debt issued as of 2004 to 58% of city hall's revenues. but that figure had been reduced steadily since under the stewardship of city finance chief Vic Cote.

As of the end of last year, debt issued had fallen to 41.6% of revenue.

"The city has always had a great track record of being financially prudent. We could always do better, but in comparison to the other borrowers we're doing really well," Gosnell said.

"(The debt rating) is supported by a prudent, conservative approach to fiscal planning," Moody's wrote in its report.

Those practices include capping how much the city will borrow each year for public works and following five-year plans to create more predictable and manageable cash flows.

When she met with Moody's this year, DeCicco-Best said the organization had "no concerns" about what the city was doing.

"Particularly in this day and age, when other municipalities aren't doing as well, it's great that we are maintaining this rating," she said.

"I think it's fantastic because even in these economic times, the plan to keep our costs in check and to continue to keep our debt low has worked out."

London's debt burden is roughly in line with the median of Canadian municipalities rated by Moody's.

Between 2003 and 2008, revenue at city hall has grown at a faster clip than expenses -- 6.9% compared to 5%.

In 2008, city hall spent 26.2% of its money on social and family services and 20% on public safety, including police and fire.

The most recent Moody's report examines 2008 and doesn't measure the impact of the global recession -- London's unemployment rate has since grown from 7% to 11.1%, the second highest in Canada.

But Moody's analysts predicted the recession wouldn't greatly affect the bottom line at city hall since most of its revenue comes from sources that don't vary with the ups and downs of the economy, sources such as property taxes and water and sewer charges.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoto View Post
A great credit rating means London city hall can invest and plan growth for the future during what is expected to be one of the most challenging years ever, municipal politicians say.

Moody's gave London city hall an AAA rating again for 2008 -- the highest possible rank, which gives London the best available terms for borrowing and lending.

"We can make some significant investments to get the economy going again" in the face of the economic downturn, Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell said yesterday.

"One of the reasons why we have low operating costs is that our police, our other services are so efficient," he said.

"This demonstrates that we are managing well."

London has maintained its AAA rating for decades, despite a borrowing binge from 1999 to 2003.

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best said yesterday the rating "sends a signal out to those who want to invest here that we are a great place to make those kinds of investments. We use these kinds of ratings to sell London, definitely."

Borrowing for big-ticket projects drove the amount of debt issued as of 2004 to 58% of city hall's revenues. but that figure had been reduced steadily since under the stewardship of city finance chief Vic Cote.

As of the end of last year, debt issued had fallen to 41.6% of revenue.

"The city has always had a great track record of being financially prudent. We could always do better, but in comparison to the other borrowers we're doing really well," Gosnell said.

"(The debt rating) is supported by a prudent, conservative approach to fiscal planning," Moody's wrote in its report.

Those practices include capping how much the city will borrow each year for public works and following five-year plans to create more predictable and manageable cash flows.

When she met with Moody's this year, DeCicco-Best said the organization had "no concerns" about what the city was doing.

"Particularly in this day and age, when other municipalities aren't doing as well, it's great that we are maintaining this rating," she said.

"I think it's fantastic because even in these economic times, the plan to keep our costs in check and to continue to keep our debt low has worked out."

London's debt burden is roughly in line with the median of Canadian municipalities rated by Moody's.

Between 2003 and 2008, revenue at city hall has grown at a faster clip than expenses -- 6.9% compared to 5%.

In 2008, city hall spent 26.2% of its money on social and family services and 20% on public safety, including police and fire.

The most recent Moody's report examines 2008 and doesn't measure the impact of the global recession -- London's unemployment rate has since grown from 7% to 11.1%, the second highest in Canada.

But Moody's analysts predicted the recession wouldn't greatly affect the bottom line at city hall since most of its revenue comes from sources that don't vary with the ups and downs of the economy, sources such as property taxes and water and sewer charges.
Oops... sorry, this story doesn't align with the prevailing dogma of the majority of posters at this site. Please remember the following protocol:

1) The City Of London is run by idiot politicians. How they tie their shoes every day is a mystery.
2) The mayor runs every operation down to the very last detail and is personally responsible for all failings.
3) The state of the public transit system is the most important thing in the entire city - bar none.
4) All municipal employees are incompetent, and as our esteemed university professor here calls it, they operate a "shithole". Perhaps they should all be shot.
5) All London private developments are dreadful. No exceptions.
6) All Londoners are whitebread, middle class zombies who are all, in turn idiots and not all all "progressive".
7) Anyone who posts any "good news" as the story above are liars, paid off, or incompetent (including Moodys). The fact on this site is that London is the absolutely worst place on Earth and is headed only downward from there. After all, total ignorance of how things are done is no reason whatsoever not to continue to bitch away at things without any foundation.
8) Do not discuss skyscrapers, or for that matter any other form of architecture - unless it is a negative comment on buildings that use concrete.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Oops... sorry, this story doesn't align with the prevailing dogma of the majority of posters at this site. Please remember the following protocol:

1) The City Of London is run by idiot politicians. How they tie their shoes every day is a mystery.
Not all of them are idiots. Roger Caranci and Paul Hubert are two that come to mind that are not idiots, and there are others.

Quote:
2) The mayor runs every operation down to the very last detail and is personally responsible for all failings.
Like any major corporation, the person is charge is ultimately responsible for everyone below her or him. Although London is by no means a dictatorship, there has been a lack of leadership on some issues at the top level of City Council.

Quote:
3) The state of the public transit system is the most important thing in the entire city - bar none.
I don't think anyone here ever said it was the most important thing in the entire city, but it is a very important component of any city.

Quote:
4) All municipal employees are incompetent, and as our esteemed university professor here calls it, they operate a "shithole". Perhaps they should all be shot.
Perhaps you were referring to something David Suzuki said a few years back? I think he was referring to the state of the Thames River.

Quote:
7) Anyone who posts any "good news" as the story above are liars, paid off, or incompetent (including Moodys). The fact on this site is that London is the absolutely worst place on Earth and is headed only downward from there. After all, total ignorance of how things are done is no reason whatsoever not to continue to bitch away at things without any foundation.
There are certain things I like about London - it has an overall lower cost of living compared to Toronto, and it has some good green spaces including Springbank Park and Victoria Park. It has Western and Fanshawe. It is surrounded by prime agricultural land. It is in a good position between Toronto and the U.S. Midwest. These things need to be exploited to help the city be the best it can be. Something also has to be done about the serious problems the city has, including its poor urban planning, inadequate internal transportation, and dare I say it, the stuck-up attitude.

Quote:
8) Do not discuss skyscrapers, or for that matter any other form of architecture - unless it is a negative comment on buildings that use concrete.
I guess someone missed all the posts about a certain residential tower at King and Ridout. I think it's gotten nothing but praise on this site.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 4:39 AM

Yup, I guess all the positive posts about a certain new residential tower downtown were missed. Case closed.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 1:30 AM
Londoner

London is ranked the tenth smartest city in Canada

MacLean's Ranks London as one of Canada's Ten Smartest Cities

5/20/2010

We've cracked the top 10!

London is ranked the tenth smartest city in Canada according a new MacLean's Magazine survey.

It takes into account formal education, graduation rates as well as per capita spending on books, museums and art galleries.

We share 10th place with Toronto, Hamilton and Winnipeg.

More than 4,500 communities are ranked on the list.

Last year, London came in at 19th overall.

“I am very proud that London is one of Canada’s smartest cities,” says Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best. “This ranking is a real credit to our citizens who actively take part in not only educational and learning opportunities, but opportunities to help others, through volunteerism, as well as our many fine cultural and recreational facilities.”

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 1:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The mayor is ubiquitous with good news pronouncements, but like Tim Best at court hearings, strangely absent or without comment on bad news pronouncements.

(wincing in anticipation of Snark's rebuke)

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 3:58 PM
User Registered

I agree.

London is Canada's 10th largest city, so a 10th place finish is merely average for a city of our size.

9th place or better would be more significant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy