National Capital Region

Cell+VOIP during university, Cell-only since then

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:27 PM

After the Apocalypse it will be back to Morse code anyway

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I honestly thought land lines would go the way of vinyl records, but people keep using them.
It's kind of hard to run a business on cell phones. They're useful for the employees out in the field, but sometimes the convenience of the phone always being in the same spot is too good to lose. If your business has to send an order out as soon as possible, looking for a cell phone that someone stuck in a corner somewhere results in lost productivity.

Also, since all of the cell tower technology seems to get updated on a 9-month basis, there are quite a few days when parts of the city lose cell phone service. Land lines are more reliable. They even work when the power is out, something that many people these days have actually forgotten since we've all been using cordless phones for landlines for the past two decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Funny with ALL of the cellphones lately, landline phones look like those chunky 1970s calculators these days.
Most landline phones are used for business purposes these days and have to have features that home phones don't typically use. I've seen a few phones that are split into three or our consoles with buttons all over the place to connect to each employee's office line. Imagine having to do that on a 2 inch screen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Like seriously, develop the landline phone into a computing device. Then, I can tap the numbers in, and possibly play Pong while awaiting to get a representative, or something.....
Landlines and computers are usually beside each other. I am pretty sure you can use programmes like Skype to call phones.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I have both, however my "landline" is shaw VOIP, so I'm not sure how to classify that. My work pays for my cell phone, and with the "$20 double play bonus" my $30 shaw "landline" becomes $10

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:10 AM

When I was working in the cable industry over six months ago, I actually noticed the opposite trend. I sold cable telephony lines to a number of people who had previously given up their landline, and they had lived to regret it and wanted a landline back. For those who already had their TV and Internet with the company I worked for, it made sense for them to pay only a few more dollars per month to have a wired telephone.

One of the main reasons people wanted landlines back was because of the sheer cost of having a cell phone as the only phone.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
Maybe we should take a refresher on using semaphore flags.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:14 PM

I gave up my landline after putting up with Telus' breathtaking incompetence for too long. Bought a handset jack for longer calls:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/7830/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:13 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Maybe we should take a refresher on using semaphore flags.

Don't forget campfire smoke signals! LAWLing at eachother will never be the same.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 1:27 AM

Cellphone here. However, growing up in the countryside, I appreciate the redundancy of having a landline. If the power is out for more than a day my Blackberry is fucked.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:40 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I have a Blackberry and a landline. I'm no longer using my landline nearly as much as I used to, and I'm looking at axing my landline as early as within a few weeks.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:01 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
Morse code, candles and diesel engines.

It'll be like a more civilized version of Mad Max.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I just use my landline to make outgoing long distance calls, since the cell is a work phone. I never even look at it when it rings, since any incoming calls are 99% telemarketers.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 1:14 AM

Fawk landlines... especially for people who have unlimited talk plans on their cell phones and have reliable service I really dont see a point in having a landline as well.

I havent had a landline in 8 years and never will again.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:16 AM

I'll throw in a question here:

How much does international calling cost on a cell phone? Not roaming, but calling say Germany or something from Canada on a cell phone?

Basically the only reason my parents still have their land line is so they can make international calls affordably. They use their cellphones for absolutely everything else. We almost never answer the land line anymore, because 90% of the incoming calls are junk.

Long distance within Canada is pretty easy to pull off on a cellphone, but I honestly have no idea about international calls. And, Telus' website literally doesn't mention them at all. So, anyone have any experience with this?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
I'll throw in a question here:

How much does international calling cost on a cell phone? Not roaming, but calling say Germany or something from Canada on a cell phone?

Basically the only reason my parents still have their land line is so they can make international calls affordably. They use their cellphones for absolutely everything else. We almost never answer the land line anymore, because 90% of the incoming calls are junk.

Long distance within Canada is pretty easy to pull off on a cellphone, but I honestly have no idea about international calls. And, Telus' website literally doesn't mention them at all. So, anyone have any experience with this?
I use Dingaling on my cell phone and for me to call germany its about .01/min (to call a mobile phone in germany its .09/min) so basically next to nothing

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:26 AM

Maybe I'm getting old but I hate cell phones. I have one of the old 1970s clunkers. I like picking up a phone without having to push all kinds of different buttons to answer it or make a call.
Phones are one of the few things that have become harder to work than they use to be.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:00 AM
I am a typical

Do the 1970s clunckers even work anymore? I thought analog was phased out?

Phones definitely are harder to use. I tried to answer my phone the other day, but accidentally hit one before hitting talk, and it disconnected whoever was calling me and started a new call. I also had to put labels on my phone at work so that I don't mix up the hold and hang-up buttons because I am kind of a retard sometimes.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hammer'd

Both. I use my landline when at home and for as many calls as I can. The cell phone is generally too expensive to make calls with so it's reserved for texting and mobile internet.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:19 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I'm now one of those who no longer have a landline, since I've just canceled my landline phone service effective last Friday. From now on, it's just me and my BB.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada