HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Arash? What about him?
I wasn't even thinking of him, but as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow, the Rogers shill Trash Madani does his usual CFL hate schtick. At another site he actually revels in this notoriety. That is some really cheap heat as they say in the rasslin' game.

And for the second time in my memory the CFL PR guy calls him out (somewhat mildly this time).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:59 PM

I get why Sportsnet downplays the CFL... I mean, why pump up the competition's property? But having a designated hitman on your payroll whose job is primarily to sling mud is a bit much. But then again, it's Rogers so it's not that surprising.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I get why Sportsnet downplays the CFL... I mean, why pump up the competition's property? But having a designated hitman on your payroll whose job is primarily to sling mud is a bit much. But then again, it's Rogers so it's not that surprising.
Of course, the US leagues that people like Mr. Madani quasi-worships are all paragons of good behaviour when it comes to male-female relations, right? NBA... NFL...

I've never heard anyone in Canada say the NBA or NFL aren't worthy of support or interest because a high number of their players have been involved in violence (often domestic).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:25 PM

It's not far off the truth in a 9 team league.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
But having a designated hitman on your payroll whose job is primarily to sling mud is a bit much. But then again, it's Rogers so it's not that surprising.
May I steal that?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course, the US leagues that people like Mr. Madani quasi-worships are all paragons of good behaviour when it comes to male-female relations, right? NBA... NFL...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, these guys' biggest wet dream would be to scarf down the free chicken in the pressbox at an NFL game.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
May I steal that?
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, these guys' biggest wet dream would be to scarf down the free chicken in the pressbox at an NFL game.

You're on fire today!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:56 PM

I'm not joking, I truly believe that

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:02 AM

Redblacks dominate Als, starting to show who is boss in the East.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:15 PM

The Als played one of the worst games I've seen in a while, there offence is just plain terrible and there defence is starting to get frustrated with it. As an RB fan I wasn't thrilled with the offence stalling a few times in the first half but loved the way they kept there foot on the gas in the second. Looking forward to the next 2 games this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
The Als played one of the worst games I've seen in a while, there offence is just plain terrible and there defence is starting to get frustrated with it. As an RB fan I wasn't thrilled with the offence stalling a few times in the first half but loved the way they kept there foot on the gas in the second. Looking forward to the next 2 games this weekend.
True, but their 4th quarter performance is encouraging considering that 4th quarter meltdowns were the reason why they lost 6 close games.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:31 PM

Ya I meant second half in my comment. Both the offence and the defence were incredible in the 4th, probably the best quarter of the year for pass rushing.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 2:59 PM

One of the differences between the CFL and NFL

Saints' little big man Adam Bighill close to realizing NFL dream
Jeff Duncan NOLA.com The Times-Picayune September 2, 2017

On a good day, Bighill stands 5 feet 10, and that includes his well-executed European man bun. Because he lacked prototypical NFL size, he was overlooked as a senior at UCW despite his production and All-America credentials and forced to navigate a path to the NFL via the CFL.

You can tell Saints coach Sean Payton loves everything about Bighill's attitude and mental makeup. He desperately would like to keep him on the roster because he embodies the competitive spirit and football IQ Payton relishes. If Bighill were 3 inches taller or two-tenths of a second faster, he'd be a shoo-in.

But he's neither. And therein lies the rub.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 1:43 AM

Flight Path: The next Canadian QB is ready for takeoff
Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca September 2 2017

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 5:17 PM

News out of Hamilton of the retirement of Craig Butler, he of the famous hit on Buck Pierce that was turned into a commercial

Video Link

Craig Butler retires; joins Ticats’ coaching staff
CFL.ca Staff September 2, 2017

HAMILTON — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Saturday that national defensive back Craig Butler has announced his retirement from the Canadian Football League and will join the team’s coaching staff as Assistant Coach.

“Craig has been, and will continue to be, a valuable member of our organization,” said Kent Austin, vice-president of football operations for the Tiger-Cats. “We would like to thank him for everything he gave as a player both on and off the field these last four seasons, and congratulate him on a decorated career as a player in the CFL.

“We know his leadership and unwavering dedication to our team will continue in his new role and look forward to watching him develop as a coach in this league.”

Selected by the Saskatchewan Roughriders out of Western University in the second round, 12th overall, in the 2011 CFL Draft, Butler split his seven-year career with the Roughriders (2011-13) and Tiger-Cats (2014-17). Overall, he suited up in 87-career regular season CFL games, posting 214 defensive tackles, 42 special teams tackles, eight quarterback sacks, 13 interceptions and three forced fumbles.

Butler also played in six playoff games, including two Grey Cup games (2013, 2014), and was a Grey Cup Champion in 2013 with Saskatchewan.

The 6-foot-1, 201-pound native of London, Ont. was named a CFL All-Star in 2015 after registering 43 defensive tackles, four sacks and one interception in 14 games for the Tiger-Cats. He also earned his third of three Divisional All-Star selections that season, with the other two coming in 2011 and 2014.

Butler would miss all of the 2016 CFL season due to injury and appeared in just two games this season for the Tiger-Cats.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
On a good day, Bighill stands 5 feet 10, and that includes his well-executed European man bun. Because he lacked prototypical NFL size, he was overlooked as a senior at UCW despite his production and All-America credentials and forced to navigate a path to the NFL via the CFL.

You can tell Saints coach Sean Payton loves everything about Bighill's attitude and mental makeup. He desperately would like to keep him on the roster because he embodies the competitive spirit and football IQ Payton relishes. If Bighill were 3 inches taller or two-tenths of a second faster, he'd be a shoo-in.

But he's neither. And therein lies the rub.
If you fit the mould you make it and if you don't, you don't. Despite being the most effective player in their last pre season game (8 tackles, 3 assts) and a growing fan favourite, they just can't get past the mould. He was cut.

Edit: Common sense may have prevailed, he's been signed to the practice squad.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 3, 2017 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:15 PM

LDC from NMS looking good on TSN. I caught a quick glimpse of one of those card displays that said "Same Home". I think it was supposed to make NMS look like Taylor Field.

Johany Jutras cfl.ca

Last edited by elly63; Sep 4, 2017 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:42 AM

One-on-one with CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie
Donnovan Bennett sportsnet.ca September 1, 2017

It’s just beyond the halfway point of the 2017 CFL season, and already the rookie year for CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has been a busy one.

In his first week at the helm, Ambrosie had to deal with a player putting his hands on an official. Two months into the job, the replay system was altered on the fly to bring coach’s challenges down to just one per game. Ambrosie has been open to playoff reform and instrumental in the “Diversity is Strength” campaign fast-tracked by the league after the acts of violence last month in Virginia.

Despite the constant state of change, Ambrosie has settled into the job. He’s even had to manage a PR nightmare when he recently convinced the Hamilton Tiger-Cats not to hire disgraced coach Art Briles after the pubic outcry became overwhelming.

My interview with the commissioner took place well before the controversy surrounding the hiring of Briles so it doesn’t get his perspective on that, but in our time together Ambrosie did not cower from tough questions.

Most interviews with a commissioner are like an inquisition. You put them on the stand and get them to state, on the record, their position on issues that matter to the public who buy their product. There was certainly a “State of the League” aspect to my time with Randy Ambrosie when I huddled up with him at the league’s downtown Toronto offices. There were two issues I wanted to hear his action plan on: the health of the Toronto Argonauts franchise and player safety. These are the issues I felt would be most critical when Ambrosie was first hired.

In our sitdown, he addressed why he was optimistic Toronto can and will support Canadian football. You can see that part above. Ambrosie then explained his current stance on CTE and how football can be played safely. Those sentiments were expressed in the second part of our interview below.

But the most interesting dynamic wasn’t talking business, but just talking football. Ambrosie is not only a former CFL player, he is a football guy through and through. He speaks the language of the game naturally. It was refreshing to converse about the sport with an executive that is just as big of a football nut as I am. Here are some responses on his perception of the league which I found noteworthy.

On the success of Ottawa:
“It wasn’t that long ago Ottawa wasn’t even in the league. They would argue they have the funnest, most passionate fans in the country. The other teams are going to argue this and they should. They should all be passionate about their product. But we’d all agree Ottawa has been a success and they were out of football not that long ago. Great ownership; what they’ve done with the stadium, they’ve created a great football experience and then put a great product on the field. Those are the three keys to make a franchise in this league work.”

On how to continue to convince young Canadians to be part of his player workforce:
“I challenge the premise that you can step out of college into a compensation opportunity the way our players do. I think that is a bit of a misnomer. The players are doing fairly well when they step out of university and into a CFL locker-room. It probably won’t surprise people to hear I did better financially off the field than I did on. But I’d have to go back to my roots in this game to set up that opportunity. I used my roots in this game to, A) learn a lot about myself; B) I’m proud of the fact that I’ve developed as a leader learning from the great leaders I’ve come across in this game.”

On life after football for players:
“There is research being done that would show our life expectancy is going to grow six months for every calendar year. Which is to say this generation is going to be around awhile. Even if they play longer, let’s say 10 years, they are going to be 32 when they retire. There is a long life after 32. What are they going to do with that time? It’s not just from a financial point of view, it is the fulfilment that comes with having a place to go and doing something meaningful with your life. Of all the things I want to do, if I could meet in 25 years a large group of these players that say, ‘You know Randy, I did well after the game in a large part because you gave me a little nudge.’ If I could do that I could say my tenure as commissioner would be a success.”

On his relationship with the CFLPA:
“My relationship with the players needs to be a holistic one. I want it to be strong. I want the players to know that I care about them. But what I don’t want to do is have a piecemeal conversation about the little bits and pieces that we need to work on with our player partners. What I want to do with the players is have big, holistic conversations about how we all do better. I’ve been in their shoes. I know what it’s like. I know it is a hard way to make a living. I’ll do my best to be an honourable partner for the players.”

On conflict of being a former player now representing the owners:
“In many ways I relate to both sides of the table. My strongest hand when presenting to the board for this job is I can sit in the board room and go through spreadsheets. I will work hard to let the governors know that I am serious abut the business. But I also relate to the players. You can think of it as a conflict. I choose to think about it as a great opportunity as a partnership where compromises are made, solutions are found and ultimately we grow the game together.”

On players self-reporting head injuries:
“We have such a strong culture of brotherhood that players don’t want to let their teammates down. They tend to play through injuries. You have to know the difference of being hurt and injured. You don’t play when you’re hurt; you can play when you’re injured.”

On parents’ fear of football not being safe:
“I can’t guarantee anyone’s child will be safe doing anything. That’s not how the world works. As we evolve we are constantly making things safer. I grew up with three brothers and my parents drove a Mercury and we didn’t wear seat belts. That doesn’t make them bad parents. I love my parents, they are gone now. They did the best they could with the information we had. What I can tell parents is the coaches now are being trained on the best techniques. They are giving young Canadians the best chance to be safe, healthy and successful. Life is a contact sport and football is no different. We’ll keep evolving the safety of the game just the way society is evolving the safety of things in all aspects of life.”

On the Grey Cup:
“I want the Grey Cup to be the ultimate day of national celebration. Maybe as much as Canada day. We are the ultimate expression of the inclusiveness and the opportunity of Canadians who come here for a better life. Canada is not the promise of a better life, it’s the opportunity of a better life. We have invited players into this tent called the CFL who couldn’t get an opportunity elsewhere and they’ve become stars on a global scale. I want that to be woven into the celebration of our country as Canadians understand what part the CFL has played in our inclusiveness.”

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 4:52 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
LDC from NMS looking good on TSN. I caught a quick glimpse of one of those card displays that said "Same Home". I think it was supposed to make NMS look like Taylor Field.

Johany Jutras cfl.ca
The other side said "New House", and yes, that was the intent.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 11:48 PM
Community Guy

WOW!

Also, ouch... Esks.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada