HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:30 PM

Hamilton ripe for renewal, says author who studies cities

Yeah, it's another one of these....

February 03, 2009
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
(Feb 3, 2009)
Storm Cunningham has travelled the world studying cities and how they come back from hard times.

He has seen enough of Hamilton to form a strong belief that the city has all the ingredients it needs to renew itself.

Cunningham, who works out of Washington, D.C., is the author of two books on community renewal and a public speaker on the state of cities.

He is to speak tomorrow afternoon in a free public lecture at McMaster University.

Like many academic and private experts, he thinks Hamilton's scenic geography, its access to major land, air and water transport networks and its architectural heritage make it attractive for renewal.

Unlike many others, he sees its rich supply of brownfields -- the empty and sometimes contaminated sites of former industries and businesses -- as a strength.

"Most brownfields are in excellent locations. The reason they're brownfields in most cases, is because they've been in human use for a long time," he said.

"Why have they been in use for so long? Because they were the first to be settled. Why were they the first to be settled? Because they're in the best locations."

Cunningham's central belief is that the time of sprawl and environmental degradation is passing and being replaced by a "re" culture -- success comes from renewing, redeveloping and revitalizing existing resources.

Cities that come back are often associated with a prominent attraction, such as the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao or the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga.

But iconic buildings, said Cunningham, are the end products of improvement -- a fact often lost on municipal leaders.

A common element among cities that manage to bounce back, he said, is that they create some kind of permanent, non-profit, public-private entity to engage all stakeholders and develop a specific renewal process.

Though they are different in every city, such "renewal engines," Cunningham said, protect the agenda from single private interests or changes in government, creating stability and confidence that leads outside investors to feel comfortable investing.

Cunningham will be speaking tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. in Room 106 of McMaster's Burke Science Building.

Admission is free to the public, but guests are to register at 905-525-9140, ext. 26401, or http://msep.mcmaster.ca/seminars/cunningham.html.

Another urban theorist reaffirms that we ought to be doing better - that's nothing new, but the part I bolded is what really rings true to me in this article.

I have imagined a corporate entity which brings together all available resources to aquire vacant buildings or land and match them with a profitable use and willing private investors. It would be publicly funded and accountable to city council but have a mandate to generate a positive rate of return on projects.

This is based on the assumption that renewal projects can generate profit, but the development industry does not conceptualize them because proven models exist elsewhere with greater returns and less risk. However if an independent organization can generate concepts and prove their feasibility, developers would come knocking more often.

Anyway, I don't know much about business or politics so I was interested in what this guy has to say. I probably won't make it though, seeing as it's at 12:30. Is anyone else considering going?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:24 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

What a fantastic name, "Storm", you couldn't get away with that here in the UK without people thinking you were ridiculous.

Interesting article though, the man has a point - governments are generally quite poor at that sort of thing and companies are only interested in the cheapest route most of the time.

Last edited by omro; Feb 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:39 PM

Maybe he's related to Sarah palin?
Positive article, though.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:00 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Maybe he's related to Sarah palin?
Her children have fantastic "north american" names. We laughed a lot here in the UK, when their names were mentioned. Some newscasters even smirked as they listed them.

Apologies for the diversion.

BTW, are there any development agencies for Hamilton that aren't government run?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Anyway, I don't know much about business or politics so I was interested in what this guy has to say. I probably won't make it though, seeing as it's at 12:30. Is anyone else considering going?
I'm thinking of going. But it's being put on by the Engineering dept. so it will probably have that kind of a focus. I'm just an armchair urbanist, so not sure there'd be much there for a civvy like me.

Will probably decide in the morning.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Her children have fantastic "north american" names. We laughed a lot here in the UK, when their names were mentioned. Some newscasters even smirked as they listed them.

Apologies for the diversion.
I ran your name through the Palin Baby Name Generator (http://politsk.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah_13.html). Your Palin name is: Meat Notgay Palin. I sh*t you not.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:28 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I ran your name through the Palin Baby Name Generator (http://politsk.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah_13.html). Your Palin name is: Meat Notgay Palin. I sh*t you not.
Fantastic! Love it
Yours?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:29 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post

Depends. I'd love to be able to come -- and I'm actually at Mac tomorrow, but I'd have to rearrange a couple things. If I can, I'll be there.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:31 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

It's a shame that more of these things aren't webcasted for those who can't be there in person.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 12:16 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Fantastic! Love it
Yours?
Mole Valdez Palin.

Not half as cool as yours.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 12:18 AM

My name would be Ripper.

I might actually go to that seminar too, if I have time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 12:40 AM

My name would be Lloyd Ferguson

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:11 AM

Another hijack - Mangle Blue Palin. My 4 year old niece, Hose Hotrod Palin LOL

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:48 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I ran your name through the Palin Baby Name Generator (http://politsk.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah_13.html).
Okay, I couldn't resist. I give you: Mullet Troll Palin

Boo-Yah! Suck it, biznatches!

BTW my own kids are Ladel Torque and Buster Taint Palin, respectively.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hospital is currently on emergency power (lost main power) so bundle up during the seminar. When that happens heating up buildings aren't a priority. Though hopefully by noon main power will be restored to the hospital.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 1:16 PM

Bowl Antler Palin.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

A plan to rejuvenate Hamilton
Thinktank offers blueprint for revitalization

February 10, 2010
Meredith MacLeod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/719263

A leading urban think tank has set out a blueprint to revive investment in the city.

The projects it says will reshape Hamilton are modelled on successes in other industrial cities that turned around their flagging fortunes. It proposes 28 projects in five key districts (historic core, James Street North, waterfront, west harbour rail yards, McMaster Innovation Park), that would generate $165 million in new assessment and $6 million in yearly tax revenue.

Hamilton should create an independent economic development corporation to drive 28 key projects necessary to build the city's tax base, says the country's leading urban think-tank.

Do it right, and the city will transform its downtown and waterfront and reap more than $165 million in direct new assessment and $6 million a year in property taxes, says the Canadian Urban Institute.

Those figures don't include any of the expected spinoffs that follow major investments.

The report, called Building Momentum: Made in Hamilton Infrastructure Solutions, will be released publicly today.

It will be kicked off this afternoon with a tour of key locations by CUI representatives and city politicians and staff.

"They are spot-on in terms of what we know we need to do," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger.

"In many aspects they've confirmed the kind of focus areas we've identified."

The Toronto-based institute was asked by the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure to identify priorities for investment that would offer the greatest immediate return and kickstart other private-sector projects.

The province paid for the study.

"The opportunity to get better alignment with the province and their belief of what Hamilton can be in the future is the best value we got out this," said Eisenberger.

The report builds on the information received during interviews with about 100 Hamiltonians, including councillors, senior city staff and civic leaders.

"There is a sense of optimism about the future," says the report. "Hamilton has huge potential: what is needed now is targeted, strategic investment to unlock that potential."

The CUI advises that the city should focus on five districts: the historic core of James Street from just south of St. Joseph's Hospital to just north of Jackson Square; the stretch of James Street North from the Lister building to Liuna Station; the waterfront; the west harbour railyards; and the McMaster Innovation Park.

The study identifies 28 "foundational projects" that will build the tax base, stimulate spinoff investments and boost quality of life.

"In the next 50 years, all of these investments will need to be made to ensure Hamilton's prosperity," reads the report. The CUI says the key task will be determining which investments to make in the next 15 years.

"The choices that Hamilton makes in the next decade or so will either open up or close off opportunities for further investment, so choosing the most promising foundational projects is critical."

Iain Myrans, senior planner, education and research at the CUI, says Hamilton is a "fascinating" city blessed with history, a great location, natural amenities and a transitioning economy.

The CUI prioritized the projects from a list of about 100 based on how many times a project was mentioned in an interview (which indicates the level of buy-in and support) and how each individual initiative could benefit and contribute to other projects.

Setting priorities is one thing, paying for them another.

Myrans said development corporations have been the backbone of the turnarounds of other cities, including Pittsburgh and Portland.

The agency would effectively take economic development out of city hall and place it in the hands of a board of directors tasked with making strategic investments and forging partnerships between public and private investors.

The CUI recommends that a development corporation be given a city-wide mandate. That way more risky investments can be offset with investments in less risky areas of the city, says Myrans.

The report also recommends the city consider setting aside 1 per cent of the municipal tax base for one year to create an urban development bank focused on downtown and waterfront investment.

The CUI further urges a focus on "quick wins" that will kickstart momentum and confidence.

Examples cited include festivals, design competitions, bike-sharing programs, public art, fast-tracking approvals for sidewalk cafes and initiatives aimed at making use of vacant upper floors in commercial areas.

The CUI studied revitalization projects in other industrial cities and based on geographic, demographic and financial characteristics, found the most appropriate model for each district identified in Hamilton.

The researchers calculated the potential direct uplift in assessment and tax revenue for Hamilton's projects based on those cities' experiences.

For the city's historic core, CUI cited the Warehouse District of Cleveland. James Street North was compared to the cultural district of Pittsburgh. The waterfront stacked up against Buffalo, while the railyards were compared to the Southside Works of Pittsburgh. The MIP was compared to the Science and Technology Park at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

THE PROJECTS

* Downtown intensification -- people and jobs

* Hotels downtown

* Improved or new convention centre

* Safety downtown (i.e. addiction centres and training facilities)

* Jackson Square revitalization

* Improved public parks and squares

* Redevelop Copps Coliseum (i.e. NHL)

* New stadium -- west harbour

* Residential and commercial development at west harbour

* Cultural infrastructure (i.e. art centres/film studios)

* Arts/Entertainment district on James Street North

* Light rapid transit

* Expansion of VIA -- Liuna Station

* Expansion of GO services -- downtown/express train

* Multi-modal terminal

* Niagara to GTA corridor

* McMaster Innovation Park

* Glanbrook Business Park

* Airport employment growth district

* Infrastructure for energy conservation (i.e. district energy)

* Brownfield remediation (downtown and waterfront)

* Commercial tourism assets

* Improved pedestrian and bike trails

* Expansion of port

* Improving lift on bridge (year-round access)

* Extension of Red Hill Valley Parkway to airport

* Heavy rail from port to airport

* Food terminal

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 1:34 PM

Is this really news to anyone of us on here. Too bad its so easy to talk but so difficult to actually do.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

This is good since the report is made for Queen's Park. They'll now look at this list and see what it'll take to rejuvenate Hamilton.

Plus it further pushes the case for the province to help Hamilton create a independent development corporation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy