HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Apparently LA Times is pro measure S:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...210-story.html
Unbelievable...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:09 AM

Is this really going to pass?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:27 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

After quickly skimming the article, I don't get the sense at all that the Times is endorsing any side.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
After quickly skimming the article, I don't get the sense at all that the Times is endorsing any side.
Well, after fully reading the article I didn't either.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:25 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

On the contrary, they are endorsing the No on Measure S side...

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/endor...111-story.html
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quick update on two notable Hollywood projects.

1755 Argyle Avenue - 2/11/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

6200 Hollywood Boulevard (Eastown Phase 2) - 2/11/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
On the contrary, they are endorsing the No on Measure S side...

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/endor...111-story.html
I think it's valid to point out weaknesses in the current system. Zoning should be such that projects that make sense are generally by right. The planning system in LA is much more complicated than need be, and it's legitimate to argue that some kind of low level corruption is enabled by that in which developers have to make political donations to get their projects built. Rick Caruso even admitted as much: http://la.curbed.com/2016/12/28/1410...ns-rick-caruso

The approvals process adds expense to any development that gets built, prevents many developments from being proposed in the first place, and exposes developments to legal challenges. This is a core issue decreasing housing supply and driving up costs across the board in Southern California.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:37 PM

Happy Monday!

I am pleased to announce that the Hollywood/West Hollywood Development Map has been expanded to include all of Central LA, which now includes neighborhoods such as Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire, Mid-City, Hancock Park, and Beverly Grove. Boundaries of the new and improved Central LA Development Map include Doheny to the west, the 10 freeway to the South, the Hollywood Hills to the north, and roughly MacArthur Park to the east.

As always, if any information needs correcting, (i.e. a missing project, an incorrect status, outdated renderings, etc.), please drop a PM. I can say there are a handful of projects whose details need updating, so any information would be appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CU...Ek&usp=sharing

Happy clicking...

COYB

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:17 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I couldn't agree with you more. I also believe that the current system is broken and much about it needs to be fixed, and many of the complaints of Measure S are valid (save for the traffic concerns). But Measure S is not the way to address them. Measure S is kind of like addressing a termite infestation in your house by burning down all the houses on your block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
I think it's valid to point out weaknesses in the current system. Zoning should be such that projects that make sense are generally by right. The planning system in LA is much more complicated than need be, and it's legitimate to argue that some kind of low level corruption is enabled by that in which developers have to make political donations to get their projects built. Rick Caruso even admitted as much: http://la.curbed.com/2016/12/28/1410...ns-rick-caruso

The approvals process adds expense to any development that gets built, prevents many developments from being proposed in the first place, and exposes developments to legal challenges. This is a core issue decreasing housing supply and driving up costs across the board in Southern California.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 8:00 PM
BANNED

That LA times article is such bullshit, lazy reporting. Developers pull their applications if they know it isn't going to pass, which is why the approval rate is so high. It's the same in other cities as well.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 7:59 PM
In urbansim we trust

Measure S Polling

Does anyone have any polling data about how Measure S is looking right about now? Last I heard it's 50/50.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=user2468;7709845]Quick update on two notable Hollywood projects.

1755 Argyle Avenue - 2/11/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

I love this project if it does adhere to renderings. But, I have a question: how is this getting past the NIMBYS in the Hollywood Hills? Certainly this building will obstruct views for those living in the lower reaches of the hills. And, given its elevation and actual height (200 ft.?) it will appear to be as tall as the cluster of buildings at Sunset and Vine from various vantage points

Last edited by Wilcal; Feb 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
Does anyone have any polling data about how Measure S is looking right about now? Last I heard it's 50/50.
I will be shocked if the no side will get over 35%

We need to start mentally preparing for S to pass by an overwhelming margin. If you only hang out in forums like this, you get a very false sense of what the electorate is like for an off-year election.

The people who are likely to vote in this election probably all think S is a fantastic idea.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

We need to start mentally preparing for S to pass by an overwhelming margin. If you only hang out in forums like this, you get a very false sense of what the electorate is like for an off-year election.

The people who are likely to vote in this election probably all think S is a fantastic idea.
There was a poll on the news last night. I believe "Yes" was 37% and "No" was 47%. I can't recall who the poll was conducted by though... so I guess take this with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

I won't be shocked, but when I talk to "non-urbanists" they overwhelmingly think that S is a good idea. Most seem to get why it's bad when I explain it, but without really thinking most like it when they first hear it. Sad.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:08 AM
Paramoderator

Unions turn out heavy for elections, and I imagine most construction unions and labor unions are heavily against Measure S. Moreover, most polls have it narrowly loosing. I think all the negative attention recently is starting to pay off. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 10:14 PM

The Rams have posted a live webcam for their stadium construction.
http://www.therams.com/stadiumcam.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 11:21 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I'm legit scared about S, if only because its narrative is closely aligned with Brexit and Trump.

I share the same sentiments with Easy. I think the average person is of the following thought-process:

More development = more traffic = bad

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I'm legit scared about S, if only because its narrative is closely aligned with Brexit and Trump.
Huh? If that were the case it wouldn't stand a chance here.

However I do agree with you that it has a good chance of passing. I drove up Laurel Canyon yesterday and it's littered with "Yes on S" signs.

It blows my mind how people regularly vote for higher taxes and more restrictive housing laws and then complain about how expensive and unaffordable it is to live here. It's insane but whatever, I'm already a homeowner and will benefit greatly when values skyrocket after this passes.

Last edited by Steve8263; Feb 24, 2017 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:07 PM

Anyone know if a hotel brand and opening date have been announced for the new Sunset La Cienega development?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations