HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Hilton Hotel at 54th in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:28 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I think it is because it matches the massing model in the dob filings.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post371901
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=SC131993179

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:55 PM

ewwwww.....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:01 PM

CB5 says we are there to vote "yes"

Well, CB5 didn't get real, but okayed the plan, except for two courageous women who spoke up and said "no." Here's Jill Colvin again in DNAinfo.com:

http://www.dnainfo.com/20111111/midt...oversial-hotel

As it still has to get a final City approval (after 60 days for the public to weigh in) we can live in hope that there will be enough negative comments that, at the very least, Moinian and Kaufman won't get their extra seven floors. Even if they do get to go higher, Harry Gross next door with his Marriott will still be able to say "size does count" and "mine is bigger."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 7:02 PM

Excavation now well underway, passed by today... the construction workers told me no photos and I retorted with the fact that you cannot tell someone they can't take photos from the sidewalk. They relented.

Full update:

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...-55th-237.html

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:30 PM

No future with photos

They REALLY don't want photos taken, unlike the other two sites under construction on the block. They've nailed pieces of wood over the holes people could take photos through. It makes you wonder what evil Moinian is up to in building his foundation.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Hilton saying hi to 54th St.

February 28, 2012
Steve Cuozzo

Quote:
The mysterious hotel soon to rise at 237 W. 54th St. is going to be a Hilton, it turns out — although which Hilton brand is unknown.

Joseph Moinian, who claims he’s merely a “minority, noncontrolling member” of a joint venture with Starwood Capital that owns the land and is buying air rights, said through a rep, “Nothing has been formally signed” on the 34-story project, for which foundation work is ongoing.

Our source, however, seemed solid — a new fence sign that states, “The name of this project is: Hilton Hotel.”

The block is also home to two rapidly rising, much bigger projects: Boston Properties’ 1 million-square-foot 250 W. 55th St. office tower and Granite Broadway’s 68-story twin hotels at 1717 Broadway, Courtyard by Marriott and Residence by Marriott.

“It’s an extraordinary amount of construction on one block at the same time,” Community Board 5 district manager Wally Rubin gently put it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:27 AM

Kaufman needs to jump off a bridge.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
Website Manager

This thing is U/C right? Must be the one on the left.

The Big Apple's pic fom http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...184220&page=10

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
This thing is U/C right? Must be the one on the left.
Neither, its in between those two construction sites.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Neither, its in between those two construction sites.
Dense, denser, Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:23 PM

Union demonstration at the non-union site today

Passing by Monday I saw union construction workers protesting the non-union job going on. This was also non-union with Breeze was demolishing the preceding building, a point Steve Cuozzo pointed up Saturday in the New York Post, leading to other problems with the current construction guys:

"Meanwhile, tenants at 243 W. 54th St. — a tiny, four-story apartment building sandwiched between mega-projects going up on either side — complained to the DOB for months of damage to their own building caused by demolition of 237 W. 54th next door.
The damage included a large hole in a foundation wall. Yet inspectors declined to cite the owners of the adjacent site for violations and, according to the tenants, at one point denied a hole even existed.
According to signs previously at the site, one contractor involved at 237 W. 54th was Breeze National — the same mob-linked outfit involved in Thursday’s tragedy in Harlem, where a wall collapse killed one man and injured two others. (Strangely, Breeze’s name doesn’t appear on the DOB Web site filings for the West 54th Street address.)
Now that demolition is over — mercifully without fatalities — residents of 243 W. 54th can look forward to a 34-story hotel going up against the side wall of their homes. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course — but is anyone at City Hall paying attention to safety?
With so much construction all over town, you’d think the need to protect the public would command the mayor’s urgent attention.
But given his strange priorities, don’t count on seeing the mouse-chasers deployed to the scenes of actual catastrophes any time soon."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1qFD0DOFg

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:48 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ It'll have no effect. A building this small will get finished no matter what. A bigger concern is a protest near a larger building.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 12:41 AM

From Friday, full update:

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...west-54th.html

(& yes, the union rat is still there!)

It's not quite above ground but rebar/metal is visibly rising from the pit of despair.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:20 AM

That rat needs to be popped.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
It's not quite above ground but rebar/metal is visibly rising from the pit of despair.

I love these rats. Every now and then you get two on site!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:56 PM

The workers here are awful.

I went in to get a picture (not the one I'm posting here) the other day and put my little camera in between a hole in the fence--keep in mind the site was empty at this point--and there was a little knock as the goon in the security booth started telling me I couldn't photograph the project. I retorted that I was on the sidewalk & it's public space. I ignored him & was about to take more photos when a transit cop in her car a few feet behind me started yelling at me to stop. Again, PUBLIC SIDEWALKS, but she quipped that it was a construction zone & therefore illegal, and she would be happy to summon more cops. I walked away because confrontation isn't my thing, but how can a photo taken from ANY sidewalk, even those demarcated with barriers, be illegal!?! (the answer is, it can't!)

Full update: http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...dway-gets.html

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 1:45 AM

[QUOTE=babybackribs2314;5674622]The workers here are awful.

I went in to get a picture (not the one I'm posting here) the other day and put my little camera in between a hole in the fence--keep in mind the site was empty at this point--and there was a little knock as the goon in the security booth started telling me I couldn't photograph the project. I retorted that I was on the sidewalk & it's public space. I ignored him & was about to take more photos when a transit cop in her car a few feet behind me started yelling at me to stop. Again, PUBLIC SIDEWALKS, but she quipped that it was a construction zone & therefore illegal, and she would be happy to summon more cops. I walked away because confrontation isn't my thing, but how can a photo taken from ANY sidewalk, even those demarcated with barriers, be illegal!?! (the answer is,

Hahaha,they act as if this site is equivalent to the World Trade Center Site,but even they allow photography.P--LEA-SE

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:32 AM

Taken this afternoon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:32 PM

Title needs to be fixed!

Full update, above grade:

http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...-54th-now.html

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:48 PM

A "Stop Work" order above the ground floor

Due to an injury to one of their non-union workers, there is currently a "Stop Work" order above the ground floor. Let's see if they get smart and change it to a union job. Of course Moinian cares only about being cheap, but I'm surprised that his partner, Starwood Equities, want their name on this. And why does the sign about it being a Hilton project keep disappearing and reappearing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive