HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Fuck that was a fun Oiler game to be at and boy what a bunch of babies the Flyers be.
I watched that game. You have got to be happy - your young guys are only going to get better. They are a pleasure, and at times astonishing, to watch. Perhaps the beginning of another dynasty!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
Community Guy

Shame we cant play one line the whole game.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^hehehe... can't wait.

also, oops.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=114876
"Funniest thing I've ever heard"? Really?

Thinking your mediocre team can "burst through and take the next step" and " we still believe the answers are insdie that room" is a weee bit funnier.

I'm starting to think its not a management thing, but rather an ownership thing. Perhaps they worry flamer fans will not support the team through a five plus year rebuilding process the way oiler fans have.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:53 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
I watched that game. You have got to be happy - your young guys are only going to get better. They are a pleasure, and at times astonishing, to watch. Perhaps the beginning of another dynasty!!
I have no doubts that Edmonton will be a very good team in the future with the kids but let's not call them a dynasty... lol. They have to get a goaltender and some defensemen that are capable of playing D.

Let's not forget this team is still 29th in the NHL right now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
"Funniest thing I've ever heard"? Really?

Thinking your mediocre team can "burst through and take the next step" and " we still believe the answers are insdie that room" is a weee bit funnier.

I'm starting to think its not a management thing, but rather an ownership thing. Perhaps they worry flamer fans will not support the team through a five plus year rebuilding process the way oiler fans have.
You should read that again, it said "funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time" not "funniest thing I've ever heard". If he wasn't made of glass he might be worth $5 mil a year, but that would still be a stretch. Any word on whether or not they are still shopping him?

As for the Flames supporting their team over a 5 year rebuild, of course we would support them. During that 7 year stretch when the Flames were one of the league's bottom feeders, we still averaged over 16 000 in attendance. The Dome would not sell out, nor should it, fans selling out the building every game when the team is under performing would tell the management that they don't need to change anything, kind of like what Toronto did with the Leafs for so long (who look to be on pace to miss the post season for the 7th straight season). Flames fans are just as passionate as Oilers fans, hockey is religion in Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:10 AM
Calgary Martindale

Nicko, I did say perhaps. Anyhow I never claimed to be a seer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
Dynasties are a thing of the past. Detroit has been one of the top teams in the league for about 20 years now, and they only have 4 Stanley Cups in that time. There are too many teams, and the salary cap has kept teams from hoarding all the talent.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
Change is good

I don't think Hemsky is made out of glass. He's been pushed around a lot on some very weak Oilers teams over his career. He doesn't play soft minutes either...
A player on the IR doesn't count towards your salary cap anyways. Hemsky is worth $5M / year, many comparables making just over/below that marks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Dynasties are a thing of the past. Detroit has been one of the top teams in the league for about 20 years now, and they only have 4 Stanley Cups in that time. There are too many teams, and the salary cap has kept teams from hoarding all the talent.
I think both Detroit and New Jersey can be considered Dynasties in the 2000's Both won several cups, and finished in 1st in the conference and division many of those years.
I agree, we won't see dynasties like we did in the 70's and 80's like the Habs and Oilers were winning cup after cup... teams are on a much even playing field now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I don't think Hemsky is made out of glass. He's been pushed around a lot on some very weak Oilers teams over his career. He doesn't play soft minutes either...
A player on the IR doesn't count towards your salary cap anyways. Hemsky is worth $5M / year, many comparables making just over/below that marks.
He is a talented guy, but has missed a lot of games over the last few seasons. Made of glass might be a bit strong, but it's not far off. As for the money, he's worth it if he can play 65+ games consistently year after year. If he's playing 47 and 22 like the last 2, no way, he deserves that about as much as Stajan deserves $4mil.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I think both Detroit and New Jersey can be considered Dynasties in the 2000's Both won several cups, and finished in 1st in the conference and division many of those years.
I agree, we won't see dynasties like we did in the 70's and 80's like the Habs and Oilers were winning cup after cup... teams are on a much even playing field now.
I think if Detroit wins one more cup, they can be called a dynasty IMO. Whatever you do want to call them though, they have set themselves as the model for how to build a franchise in the modern era, no question.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
Calgary Martindale

Fair enough all of you - I'm from the days of the six team league - before helmets when most of the players smoked and drank beer all summer - their pay was poor and beer was all they could afford So rather than a dynasty, I should have said a contender!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Reallllllly hoping when things get realigned that the Jets do not get put in a division with Edmonton. The Jets 1.0 had to put up with a loaded Oilers squad. I would hate to see the same thing happen to the Jets 2.0. Keep Hall, Nuge and Eberle far away please.

Well, the proposed realignment the BOG voted on doesn't have Edmonton in Winnipeg's division, unless you're not aware of what the realignment plans are

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=54483

so these are, according to the NHL, the plans they will go with. Even if it takes an extra year to implement and the Coyotes move, this seems to be the future blueprint.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Don't forget, Florida is only 1 point up on Winnipeg (albeit with several games on hand) for tops in the Southeast, and the 3rd seed in the conference that comes with it.

If Florida and Washington keep losing, and the Jets can accumulate a little point cushion on both teams, Winnipeg has an real opportunity for that 1st spot in the southeast, AND home ice in the playoffs. It's a bit far fetched, but the next few games will really determine where the chips fall this post season.

Not too far fetched, but yes them having games in hand while being talented teams is a biggie.

Here's hoping it will work out, but that depends on the Jets organization and more importantly the players, playing when they are "on" not "off"

So tonight I'm rooting for the Habs! (who are currently down one)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I think we'd be fine with it if they actually came out and said that the team was in a rebuilding phase. This in-between, limbo shit is much more frustrating as a fan. I think Feaster has been alright so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does over the next year or so to take the team in some direction, one way or the other.

If anything, seeing what the Oilers have been able to get with some top picks would make more Flames fans welcome the idea of sucking donkey balls for a couple seasons.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:36 AM
Go Chiefs!

Jezz, Bourque's goal was the first we scored against Washington in more than 256 minutes... that's more than 4 consecutive games.

Cunneyworth supporting the tank I see... Gomez once again on the PP (and Eller NO PP time).

Edmonton is only 4 pts back with 2 games in hand. We'll let Yakupov to Columbus. Grigorenko is a 6'3, 200 lbs center (might still grow a bit) playing for the Quebec Remparts... coached by Patrick Roy. Draft the kid and hire Roy as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens. It makes too much sense so it probably won't happen.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:04 AM

Road warriors win again. Will we make the Stanley Cup Final again. I think we've got a good chance. And what about our back up?

"He's a No. 1 goalie in this League," New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias said. "There will be 29 teams in line to get him when the time is right ... he's that good."

Schneider proved that point Friday at Prudential Center when he stopped 30 shots, including 10 in the third period, to win his seventh straight start as the Canucks beat the New Jersey Devils 2-1 to take over first place in the overall NHL standings.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:43 PM
Change is good

That's a pretty big assertions to say you will make the Stanley Cup Finals. The playoffs are still 20 games away, and then you need to win at least 12 playoff games....

Maybe now you can start planning where the riots will take place? (As opposed to planning the parade route, which other fans do when making such wild assertions)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:50 PM

I said I think we have a good chance. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree with that. We have a legitimate 1a goaltender in case Luongo crumbles, we're deeper offensively with the emergence of Cody Hodgson who leads in rookie goal scoring even though he gets way less ice time than other top rookies. And our defense is still pretty deep even without the over rated Ehrhoff.

And there could be another riot if given the right circumstances. Oilers fans will never riot, they just go away quietly into the night...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Road warriors win again. Will we make the Stanley Cup Final again. I think we've got a good chance. And what about our back up?

"He's a No. 1 goalie in this League," New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias said. "There will be 29 teams in line to get him when the time is right ... he's that good."

Schneider proved that point Friday at Prudential Center when he stopped 30 shots, including 10 in the third period, to win his seventh straight start as the Canucks beat the New Jersey Devils 2-1 to take over first place in the overall NHL standings.
There a real good team are they a lock to make the finals no i hope they go far but there is the chance they could get upset early.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada