HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 2:31 PM

...Contd.

by T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 2:33 PM

...Continued, Jan. 17th - The Regent

by T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:41 PM

Southern Metro Updates - Provo - Zions Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
So I was driving around downtown today and noticed two diesel's with interesting payloads... I went back later tonight and snapped a few photos.

Here is what I saw...

...Yes, the tower crane is being erected as we speak... well, maybe not as we speak, but definitely sometime this week.

And here are a few others I snapped right at dusk

by Wasatch One

Last edited by delts145; Feb 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:42 PM

...Contd.

It looks like the Zions Bank FC project is prompting other property owners to upgrade their properties (across the street to the north of ZBFC)

by Wasatch One

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:47 PM

...Contd.

You can see in the foreground of this photo that they have back filled the outside wall of the foundation already...

I love how Timpanogos is ever present in all of Utah County

by Wasatch One

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:25 PM

Salt Lake City Central Metro - Murray - Birkhill @ Fireclay updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
New development approved at Fireclay

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11516286

The city has approved the 26-acre, mixed-use Fireclay Villages, which Murray leaders hope will spur more construction near a TRAX stop on 4400 South 100 West.

The Fireclay Redevelopment Area is a 97-acre project created near the light-rail station. Through an RDA, developers can receive part of the property tax generated through the increase in land value from improvements.

Created in 2005, only one new building graces the former smelting site -- a lag many credit to the slowed economy.

"It's definitely impacted it," said Murray's Community and Economic Development Director Tim Tingey. "But the fortunate thing for us is we've got very good developers that are trying to adjust to these market trends." ....

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the current building and what is going in next, at least in the portion that the company I work for is developing:

Last edited by delts145; Jan 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Looks like the developers have changed it. The older renderings showed that Phase II or 2nd buildings would look just like the first building. These are shorter and look different. I thought all these buildings were going to look alike.
Not sure if I like it or not. These new buildings don't look like they are going to fit in with the first building. I could be wrong. But from that rendering it looks kind of weird. IMHO

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I like that phase two looks different than phase 1... It's more organic that way and I think it will make it feel more authentic than if it were all the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

The reason why I don't like it as much as the other building is because looking at that rendering those new buildings look like they will be made from stucco.

I think that would be a big mistake on the developers behalf if Phase II is made out of stucco. While the first building is made all out of bricks. I would like a little "Urban Brick Town Center" just like what they were planning at first. Now with these new plans it looks like these guys are just trying to save money and build a cheap stucco project that will just end up looking like gateway.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Actually very little of the facade of these buildings will include stucco.
It doesn't convey very well in the rendering, but the only stucco will be the cream-colored areas circled below. The rest of the elevation will be brick that matches the existing building, and the orange and brown colored sections shown will be painted hardie-board.

Most of the stucco will be limited to the alley side of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I really like the change in design. I think it gives it a much more geniune neighborhood feel to it. I look at it like this, cities and neighborhoods develop over time and they have character when there are different exterior elements used and different designs used.

I like that the height is less as you get away from the main corner, it helps add to the intimacy of the street and provides some different depths, rather than just the five story flat wall. Don't get me wrong about the current building either though, I love that building and the condos inside are very nice. If you haven't had a chance to look at them you should find some time to jump on Trax and go check them out.

I'm not sure if all the first floor is going to be retail, but I don't think that it really has to be. If there are a few more corner buildings similar to the existing one, that will provide some nice retail space for the entire area. Maybe the new units will have some two story live work, which will allow some people to possibly open a retail or gallery spot on the ground floor. I really think this has the potential to become a VERY vibrant neighborhood in the valley.

Quote:
The corner units of the new townhomes will have a separate retail space on the main level, and the remaining units facing the street will be live/work units that have alley loaded garages and main level flex rooms that can be used as additional living space, offices or can be used for home-based occupanices.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Actually very little of the facade of these buildings will include stucco.
It doesn't convey very well in the rendering, but the only stucco will be the cream-colored areas circled below. The rest of the elevation will be brick that matches the existing building, and the orange and brown colored sections shown will be painted hardie-board.

Most of the stucco will be limited to the alley side of the building.
Thanks for that explanation Ark. With your description I now have a good idea of the finished product. IMO this will be a very attractive project.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 2:02 PM

Downtown Updates - 222 South Main - January 23rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
From friday

by Stevena07

Last edited by delts145; Jan 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 1:57 PM

...Contd.

by Stevena07

Last edited by delts145; Jan 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 12:48 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Photo posted by T-MAC

I toured the model of this building a month or so ago, and I was very impressed. The units are pretty small but they do a wonderful job of utilizing the tall ceilings. The condos start on the 2nd floor and all open into a central courtyard type area. The 3rd 4th and 5th floors just have a walkway outside their front doors and the entire center of the building is open to the sky. It's a really neat concept. Also the exterior wall of the rear units is a large garage door that opens up to a small balcony, essentially turning the entire condo into a large open air space.

If I worked dt I would consider a purchase here.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:13 PM

What a handsome building. I would like to see some of the newer buildings use that same authentic style. As an infill piece it couldn't be more attractive.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Drive-By of 222 South Main

by T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:26 PM

Quote:
U of U College of Architecture + Planning Moves into Overdrive

National Transportation Expert Expands Faculty and Focus at Critical Time in Growth of Urban West

utah.edu

Jan 29, 2008 – With the addition of Reid Ewing to its faculty, the University of Utah's College of Architecture + Planning is taking aim at the top 20 city and metropolitan planning programs in the United States.

Dr. Ewing's expertise in transportation and environmental issues adds an important dimension to the city and metropolitan planning program at the U, as the Wasatch Front is expected to double in size by 2050, according to Chris Nelson, an expert in metropolitan growth who also joined the Utah faculty last summer.

"By virtue of our faculty, our program has the potential to become a national leader in sustainable development," Ewing notes. "I see particular opportunities in planning for climate change and energy security." Ewing is co-author of Growing Cooler: The Evidence on Urban Development and Climate Change, written in collaboration with Keith Bartholomew, assistant professor at the U who researches the effects of transportation on the environment.

Most recently a research professor at the National Center for Smart Growth, Ewing hopes to establish a center for transportation research while at the university. "Being able to study transportation development in the West will be a critical component of the work that I do," says Ewing. "Being in Salt Lake City offers a first-hand opportunity to see the growth happen and to play a role in helping others plan."

http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=012909-1

Last edited by delts145; Jan 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
January 28, 2009 - City Creek Center - Drive-By Updates

by T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:26 PM

...Contd.

by T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:26 PM

...Contd.

by T-Mac

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Cuts won't halt USTAR plans
The Daily Utah Chronicle

Construction on a new science and technology building on campus should continue as planned this year.

Rep. Ron Bigelow, R-West Valley City and chairman of the executive appropriations committee, said last week that construction plans for the U’s first building for the Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative would have to be postponed a year or two to compensate for budget cuts during the 2009 fiscal year.

However, legislators said Wednesday they didn’t think construction would be delayed.

“We don’t perceive there will be budget cuts against the USTAR building,” said Ted McAleer, executive director of USTAR. “But we realize there’s a lot of planning by a lot of different people that could change that.”

McAleer said the Utah Legislature will use bonds instead of cash out of the $50 million general fund to pay for the first of four buildings on the northwestern side of the U’s golf course.

The U has already begun construction to lay out electrical and water pipes to make ready for expected groundbreaking on April 28.

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/ne...lans-1.1355906

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations