HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:45 AM

Re Bell and baseball in Montreal

MLB doesn't like corporations owning baseball teams. They accept it in Toronto and it appears that would be the only way it would get done in Montreal.

For Bell, that's a lot of potential programming for TSN. It must be a very attractive proposition...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Re Bell and baseball in Montreal

MLB doesn't like corporations owning baseball teams. They accept it in Toronto and it appears that would be the only way it would get done in Montreal.

For Bell, that's a lot of potential programming for TSN. It must be a very attractive proposition...
the Bronfman familly is also part of that group.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:41 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Google translate did good I see.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the Bronfman familly is also part of that group.
Yeah, at least this prospective organisation would have a face...and it would have to be a Bronfman face, naturally!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 10:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get that "the biggest city" tends to host the WC final, but isn't it likely the case that's a function of how "the biggest city" tends to have the stadium best suited to hosting the WC final? Obviously that's not the case in Canada.

And it isn't written in stone that the WC final only goes to the biggest city. Yokohama hosted in 2002 and I know some will say that's practically Tokyo, but by that token a WC final could be hosted in Hamilton since that's "practically Toronto". NYC didn't host in 1994 when that city is hands down the top dog in the US.
Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan. Almost everyone here agrees that Toronto or Montreal and maybe Vancouver could host the WC final.

Japan did not host the final in Sapporo.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan. Almost everyone here agrees that Toronto or Montreal and maybe Vancouver could host the WC final.

Japan did not host the final in Sapporo.
Yokohama is effectively a continuation of Tokyo. It would be something similar to Hamilton hosting the final in Canada. Edmonton hosting a final would be similar to Hamburg hosting a Germany final, Newcastle hosting a UK final, Kazan in Russia, or Toulouse in France; none of which are going to ever happen in the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:58 PM

Yokohama is actually closer to Tokyo than Hamilton is to Toronto, and significantly larger than Hamilton. It's generally thought of as part of the same metropolitan area.

Geez, I can't believe I got pulled into this pointless debate.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 3:47 PM
Closed account

It's that time of year again when the cigarette is lit and ultrarunning's most gruelling test begins. The Barkley Marathons has been underway for almost 24 hours now and there are a few exciting stories.

First, with really good conditions this year, things are promising for Jared Campbell to become the first person to complete the race three times, and could very well finish in record time as well. To get a sense of how hard the race is, only fourteen people have ever completed the race in thirty years and only two have completed it more than once (Jared and record-holder Brett Maune).

The first Canadian slant to the story is that Gary Robbins will be competing this year. He's an experienced ultrarunner and has as good a chance as any at completing the race this year and becoming the first Canadian to do so. So far, he is one of three racers on his third lap (of five).

The second Canadian story this year is Rhonda-Marie Avery, from Kitchener, who will become the first blind athlete selected to compete in the Barkley. She'd an experienced ultra runner, but it will be exciting to see how she deals with the challenges of this course. Probably with respect to her, one of the books on the race this year (competitors have to collect pages with their race number from books place on the course) is in braille.

For people who have never heard of the Barkley Marathon's, youtube has a fantastic documentary about it, "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young." A shorter documentary is also available on youtube.

Last edited by eemy; Apr 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:29 PM
arf

^I believe the documentary is on Netflix as well. I've been meaning to watch it.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:16 PM
Closed account

The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young is on Netflix (that's where the link points ) and is most definitely worth watching, even if you have no interest in running or sports.

Unfortunately Rhonda-Marie Avery was a DNF, which isn't necessarily surprising since almost everyone does. Just competing in the event is an enormous accomplishment.

Gary Robbins is on his fifth lap, along with Jared Campbell and a third runner who managed to squeak in with 12 min to go. I don't know if SHH follows this thread, but he'd be happy to know that Gary is originally from Newfoundland, although he now trains out of Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:25 PM
Closed account

Gary Robbins legs after 3 loops; doesn't look too bad!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDyKtWWklXL/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:40 AM
Closed account

And the Barkley Marathons are finally over. In the end, there was only one finisher, Jared Campbell, just barely becoming the first person to finish three times. Canada's hope, Gary Robbins, unfortunately tapped out on the final lap - he was apparently hallucinating pretty bad.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:59 AM

CFL News
Paulo Senra ‏@paulosenra (CFL Director of Communications)
Interesting sports survey coming out tomorrow from @uLethbridge. Strong and steady national numbers for the #CFL!

More from tomorrow's national sports survey: numbers indicate #CFL is more popular than #NBA and #MLS in ALL five tested regions of #Canada.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 4:38 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
CFL News
Interesting sports survey coming out tomorrow from @uLethbridge. Strong and steady national numbers for the #CFL!

More from tomorrow's national sports survey: numbers indicate #CFL is more popular than #NBA and #MLS in ALL five tested regions of #Canada.

The fact all 7 Canadian NHL teams are out of the playoffs and the fact the Jays had the run is reflected in the results.

*Although why are they doing a poll for 2016 right now? Why not way until the end of the year?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 10:04 AM
Closed account

I find those results kind of suspect... A greater percentage of people follow every single sport than in 1990? A result like that is almost completely unbelievable.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
The fact all 7 Canadian NHL teams are out of the playoffs and the fact the Jays had the run is reflected in the results.
Do you know the exact dates in which the poll was sending out questionnaires? I imagine these numbers are from the Fall, well before most Canadian teams were seen as eliminated. It perhaps had an influence on the MLB numbers but I doubt it highly for the NHL numbers. University popular opinion polls aren't conjured up overnight like online polls.

I don't understand the CFL Comm's angle on this. When I look at these numbers I see the MLB and NBA eating away ground in the sports market, not the CFL managing to keep atop of the NBA and MLS. If anything, the CFL seems to be clinging on to majority support in some areas.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I find those results kind of suspect... A greater percentage of people follow every single sport than in 1990? A result like that is almost completely unbelievable.
I disagree. In 1990 you could only follow you're sprts through either the TV or the newspaper or magazines. Now you still have those, including TV with multi channel platform and sport dedicated channels,along with high speed internet, phones, tablets, etc... In addition you can pretty well stre any one of those sports on your device.

I would never have spent any time on soccer back in the day, but now it's so easy to somewhat follow and get updated on.

Last edited by Hackslack; Apr 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 1:02 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
To follow "very closely" is a pretty subjective measure. Do I follow the NBA 'very closely' because I watch highlights on SportsCentre every morning?

While, theoretically, it could be possible for results to rise across the board - Sports exposure has risen substantially since 1990 - the very subjective nature of the question makes the survey very suspect.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
To follow "very closely" is a pretty subjective measure. Do I follow the NBA 'very closely' because I watch highlights on SportsCentre every morning?

While, theoretically, it could be possible for results to rise across the board - Sports exposure has risen substantially since 1990 - the very subjective nature of the question makes the survey very suspect.
This is a fair comment, there is a certain subjectivity although I'd that there must be some context provided in the survey?

I'm not the least bit surprised that sports consumption has gone up across the board in the last 20-30 years. To paraphrase Andy6, sports used to be a 5 minute segment at the end of the local news plus one hockey game a week on the CBC. Now it's multiple TV channels, radio stations and websites/social media feeds operating 24/7. The opportunities to consume it are far more ubiquitous than they once were.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Sports exposure has risen substantially since 1990
Yes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada