HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Has the arena been renovated at all recently? I know it was out of date, and relatively small.
It has been expanded (it now has more seats than the MTS Centre), but I'm not sure about renovations in general.

CUC dates back to the mid-80s which makes it older by NHL standards. Perfect for a AHL team but it might not be anything more than a temporary home for the NHL if a team ever came to that city.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:14 PM

I believe he might have been talking about the Brandt center in Regina. It has been renovated but it is still relatively small. I think max capacity for seating is around 6700. But there have been new seats installed, score board and a humidifier system( of some sort) to keep the ice cool. Renos happened back in 2008? Could also potentially add seats on the upper deck of the concourse side that does not have any currently. This would bring it closer to 8000 seats.

Not sure what AHL has for attendance, but 7000 + i think would not be bad at all for a farm team. And do what @ jets4life mentioned, link team colors with the riders, advertising, etc.. could work!!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
I can't see why Regina would not be a candidate , Saskatoon is wanting NHL team bar-none but now the pitch for AHL. Attendance for the pats have not been that great either.

Maybe they could link rider season tickets to pats tickets, to increase attendance, discount of some sort. Also when the new stadium is built i could see more people potentially going to pats games, as the Brandt center is right next door, more advertising opportunity's for the pats during rider games, could raise awareness of the team. Don't have to shun Regina b4 the conversation even starts
I can't see why Regina has never been brought into the fold when these kind of discussions came about? It should be a definite canidate if an AHL team became available? Is it a "we have the Riders, hence Saskatoon should have the next Team", be it AHL/NHL in the future?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:29 PM

Slow to respond to this thread becuase we're busy working here in 'Toontown

Although others have already replied to a couple of the comments, I'll weigh in too. World Junior attendance has been excellent for each of the tournaments that have been hosted here. The attendance for the Memorial Cup and for the NHL exhibition games have been mediocre strictly due to ticket prices.

The ticket prices varied depending on the team playing during the Memorial Cup - the games involving the Blades were very expensive, with many seats in the $100 range, which is way too steep for Junior hockey.

There is still alot of hangover from the first set of NHL exhibition games played here about 3 or 4 years ago. Ticket prices were very high and none of the stars played. That pissed off a lot of people and, while the more recent exhibition games have featured more stars, there is still a number of fans cynical about the experience.

The Blades attendance is in the 5,000 range (6,000 last year because of Memorial Cup tickets demand impacting season tickets) according to this graph:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7897

Getting to the crux of the matter, I think that Saskatoon fans would support an AHL team at Blades attendance levels, probably not much higher. I don't think attendance would be harmed due to the Winnipeg relationship. However, there are no AHL rivalries, unlike the WHL rivalries that currently exist, so that would harm things.

Enough rambling - back to work.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I can't see why Regina has never been brought into the fold when these kind of discussions came about? It should be a definite canidate if an AHL team became available? Is it a "we have the Riders, hence Saskatoon should have the next Team", be it AHL/NHL in the future?
Not at all.

Regina just does not have the capacity for an NHL arena. I'm not sure what the requirements of the AHL area, but I would imagine 6,700 seats would be either just above the minimum requirements for a franchise or not enough. The reason Saskatoon often gets talked about for a pro hockey team, is that they actually had a team for a few days in 1983, when Bill Hunter bought the St.Louis Blues, and announced they were moving to Saskatoon. The NHL vetoed the move, and Hunter padlocked the St,Louis arena doors, boycotted the 1983 draft, and turned the team over to the NHL.

The good thing about the event, is it may have encouraged Saskatoon to build an arena that could be expanded to 16,000 seats. The Credit Union Centre was the result.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For now the WHL team in Winnipeg is dead. TNSE couldn't work out a deal. Thunder Bay seems like a good fit for an AHL team to me. There were rumours prior to St. John's thing going ahead.

What's the problem in St. John's, too far away? They have stellar attendance numbers and the city seems to be loving it out there.
Thunder is a terrible choice, there is a reason it's a sports wasteland, lousy economy, declining older population, antiquated arena. Would be surprised if even an AHL team in Thunder Bay could muster 1500 per game.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
I believe he might have been talking about the Brandt center in Regina. It has been renovated but it is still relatively small. I think max capacity for seating is around 6700. But there have been new seats installed, score board and a humidifier system( of some sort) to keep the ice cool. Renos happened back in 2008? Could also potentially add seats on the upper deck of the concourse side that does not have any currently. This would bring it closer to 8000 seats.

Not sure what AHL has for attendance, but 7000 + i think would not be bad at all for a farm team. And do what @ jets4life mentioned, link team colors with the riders, advertising, etc.. could work!!!
My mistake. There are AHL arenas with capacities below 5,000, but they tend to be in the northeastern US. A team in Regina would have to earn quite a bit more revenue given that every game would involve flying somewhere, i.e. no bus travel.

I doubt Regina would fly... the Pats have a long pedigree in Regina and more to the point, I'm not sure that Regina could adequately support two pro teams given that the Roughriders dominate the market. In Saskatoon, you have a great rink, a less prominent junior hockey club and no real competition for the pro sports dollar... if I were a prospective AHL owner it would be Saskatoon hands down.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:48 PM

I too would tend to agree that an AHL team wouldn't fly in Regina. First, the Brandt Centre actually accommodates only 6,336 for hockey (there is potential higher capacity available for concerts). Secondly, as noted above, the Pats already have a long history in Regina, having existed in some form since 1917, whereas there is no real connection to pro hockey in Regina to speak of (at least, not since the 1920s).

I don't know how much of a part fan support plays into this, but the Pats no longer attract the same amount of walk-up they used to back in the 1980s. Partly this is because of their poor play and lack of playoff performance in the past 15 years, and partly because people have other entertainment options nowadays. Then too, the Riders have been on an upswing in the last seven years and they grab most of the media attention and fan/corporate support nowadays.

Given that Regina already has the Riders, I certainly wouldn't oppose Saskatoon getting an AHL team to call their own. Well, other than mourning the demise of the Blades, I suppose. Just my personal opinion as a resident of Regina, and a season ticket holder of both the Riders and the Pats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306
Maybe they could link rider season tickets to pats tickets, to increase attendance, discount of some sort. Also when the new stadium is built i could see more people potentially going to pats games, as the Brandt center is right next door, more advertising opportunity's for the pats during rider games, could raise awareness of the team.
The Roughriders and the Pats have already entered into a partnership, for this season at least. Rider season ticket holders have the opportunity to buy Pats season tickets in a special "Sea of Green" section for a price of $250. Pats season tickets holders have the opportunity to buy discounted tickets to the last few Rider home games using a special Ticketmaster code.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:55 PM
the first stamp is free

How legitimate is this rumour?

I only ask, because I spend a fair amount of time on HFboards, and haven't read anything there about Saskatoon as an AHL farm team. At least nothing since before St.John's was announced.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 7:31 PM

^ ??? The team is doing very well where they are.

Mini Jets Rockin in St Jhons.

St. John’s IceCaps Win AHL Marketing Awards

St. John’s – The St. John’s IceCaps organization was honoured with two significant awards during the annual American Hockey League Marketing Meetings which concluded today in Cleveland.

The IceCaps won both the Sponsorship Sales Department of the Year Award and the Most Unique Sponsorship Package or Entitlement Award for the 2012-13 season. The hockey club was also among a select group of teams to win team achievement awards in the categories of: 15 Per Cent Growth in Corporate Cash; 90 Per Cent Season Ticket Renewal; and 450 New Season Ticket Sales.

Danny Williams, President and CEO of the IceCaps, says the organization takes great pride in being recognized for its marketing efforts.

http://www.businessnl.com/st-johns-i...keting-awards/

ps: Burmi is in the line up in the pic

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 8:14 PM

There is the big league, and then there is the next best thing.

I enjoy one or two Blades games a year, it is not that expensive and it satisfies a hockey itch, but not completely. If money were no object, and Saskatoon had an NHL team, I'd have season tickets and go to every game. As for AHL, again if price were no object, I'd attend as often as I would a Blades game - once or twice a year. Any NHL game is a big event, can't truly say the same for anything on the development circuit, even if I think it is still great hockey and potential NHL all-stars on the ice.

I think many here are like me in this regard, and under the current climate, an AHL team wouldn't be all that successful, especially if tickets cost much more than they do for WHL games.

Also under the current climate, a lot of people in S'toon would pay the price for an NHL game (not preseason though), my concern with NHL ever coming here would be when the climate changes. Personally, money is tight and I just wouldn't be able to justify the ticket prices to go watch many professional hockey games.

Now would it be cool if a Saskatoon AHL team was a TNSE affiliate? meh, not really, if I want to see jets players I'll go for a road trip. Now if it were the farm team for San Jose, Pittsburg or Chicago, then it would be a little more interesting.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
There is the big league, and then there is the next best thing.

I enjoy one or two Blades games a year, it is not that expensive and it satisfies a hockey itch, but not completely. If money were no object, and Saskatoon had an NHL team, I'd have season tickets and go to every game. As for AHL, again if price were no object, I'd attend as often as I would a Blades game - once or twice a year. Any NHL game is a big event, can't truly say the same for anything on the development circuit, even if I think it is still great hockey and potential NHL all-stars on the ice.

I think many here are like me in this regard, and under the current climate, an AHL team wouldn't be all that successful, especially if tickets cost much more than they do for WHL games.

Also under the current climate, a lot of people in S'toon would pay the price for an NHL game (not preseason though), my concern with NHL ever coming here would be when the climate changes. Personally, money is tight and I just wouldn't be able to justify the ticket prices to go watch many professional hockey games.

Now would it be cool if a Saskatoon AHL team was a TNSE affiliate? meh, not really, if I want to see jets players I'll go for a road trip. Now if it were the farm team for San Jose, Pittsburg or Chicago, then it would be a little more interesting.
Thx for being honest.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
How legitimate is this rumour?

I only ask, because I spend a fair amount of time on HFboards, and haven't read anything there about Saskatoon as an AHL farm team. At least nothing since before St.John's was announced.
I think this rumour started from an opinion piece out of St. Johns about TNSE's reluctance to commit longer term to St. Johns. The article hypothesized about Thunder Bay as a likely destination but since that isn't realistic at the moment, people are thinking Saskatoon is more likely.

Baisically its a hypotethical ontop of a hypothetical.

St. Johns story:
http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/C...-says-it-all/1

Should also point out that the possability of the NHL in Saskatoon is decades away at best. Way too small of a city.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

St. Johns story:

Should also point out that the possability of the NHL in Saskatoon is decades away at best. Way too small of a city.
I thinks this is a fair assesment of the situation. + NHL is a pipe dream at this time.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For now the WHL team in Winnipeg is dead. TNSE couldn't work out a deal.
Heard the Winnipeg is getting a WHL team rumor again recently from a source in the know. Nothing is done on the deal but it is definitely still on the irght people's radar just waiting for the right deal to come along to make it happen. Question is when it will happen, not if.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 9:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think this rumour started from an opinion piece out of St. Johns about TNSE's reluctance to commit longer term to St. Johns. The article hypothesized about Thunder Bay as a likely destination but since that isn't realistic at the moment, people are thinking Saskatoon is more likely.

St. Johns story:

OK thanks, that clears it up.

Honestly, because TNSE is loyal (sometimes to a fault) I would see them extending St.John's being the ultimate outcome.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Heard the Winnipeg is getting a WHL team rumor again recently from a source in the know. Nothing is done on the deal but it is definitely still on the irght people's radar just waiting for the right deal to come along to make it happen. Question is when it will happen, not if.
There's some good news. I'd love for it to happen. Would be good for schools, community groups, etc. As Jets tickets are hard to come by and pretty expensive.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 10:28 PM

I did not know that about the riders and pats packaging tickets. I for one think its a great idea and will attract more avg joes to the pats games. Also it would be awesome if the NHL played 1 or 2 regular season games in the province (prob at CUC), Flames vs Jets Game maybe. Similar to NFL coming to Canada, Europe for 1 regular season game. Don't think it would hurt the league at all and plus there are many fans on both sides that would fill a rink here. Oh well one can always dream right...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 11:50 PM

If the WHL opposes an AHL team in Regina or Saskatoon, highly unlikely that the NHL/AHL would allow the Jets affiliate to move in. Also need someone to operate the team.

It would be tough for either market to support both.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:31 AM

Taking the numbers from the 2011-2012 season (as last year was aided by the memorial cup) the Blades averaged just over 5,000 a game. That put them I believe 8th or 9th in the league and I think 14th or 15th in the CHL. They are actually quite respectable numbers for a junior team. It just happens to be in a facility that 90% of the time is just too big for junior hockey.

For what it's worth, the 5,000 that the Blades averaged would have placed 20th out of 30 AHL teams for 2011-2012.

I believe that at the very least an AHL team's attendance would mirror the Blades, but I would guess it would be greater as the quality of hockey is greater, so 6000-7000 shouldn't be a stretch? Hypothetically, a 6,500 average attendance would place the team 9th in the AHL just ahead of the Jets current affiliate in St.John's.

In my opinion, there is no question that the AHL could not only survive, but it could potentially thrive in Saskatoon. It would just come at the expense of the Blades and that is probably a whole other debate.

If this actually came to be, I don't see supporting a Winnipeg affiliate as an issue at all (unless they are called the Blue Bombers... ). If Calgary can see fit to locate their farm team in Abbotsford, Saskatoon should be considered fair game for any team!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan