HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:38 PM

Look out-trucking lobby wants larger trucks allowed

Here's something I found off Progressive Railroading that some of you might want to look at. Plus imagine a small town fire dept and other first being dispatched to a fiery wreck involving a tanker truck just slightly smaller than a railroad tanker-add in nearby dry brush some wind and nearby country homes and out buildings and you get the picture. Here's the story:

More than 1,000 local government leaders this week signed a letter to Congress asking policymakers to oppose proposed increases in truck, size or weight, including longer double-trailer trucks and heavier single-trailer trucks.

The letter — signed by mayors, county engineers and public works directors — was delivered yesterday to Capitol Hill offices, according to the Coalition Against Bigger Trucks (CABT).

"Longer and heavier trucks would cause significantly more damage to our transportation infrastructure, costing us billions of dollars that local government budgets simply cannot afford, compromising the very routes that American motorists use every day," the letter states.

The CABT is a national, nonprofit organization that advocates for highway safety and transportation policies.

The Association of American Railroads (AAR) is among organizations that are opposed to laws that would allow larger, longer or heavier trucks on the nation's roads and highways. AAR officials intend to voice their concerns about proposed increases in truck size and weight when they meet with lawmakers next month at Railroad Day on Capitol Hill.

To learn more about AAR's concerns about truck size and other legislative issues, read this month's cover story in Progressive Railroading.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I'm surprised the trucking industry isn't spending their political capital pushing for fully automated, driverless trucking to be allowed sooner rather than later. I mean, I know they've already really screwed truckers out of what used to be pretty lucrative income contracts, possibly delaying the push for driverless trucks by a few years, but the film "Logan," set in 2029, has several scenes featuring fully automated trucks, and I think it's entirely plausible - maybe even probable - that such things will exist by then. In that film it looked like the trucks were basically wheels, motors, batteries, and a computer that took a full-sized container and sped it off down the road towards its destination. Something like that sounds a lot more efficient than changing the size of trucks would be, especially eliminating cost of a human driver.

EDIT: Jalopnik has an interesting article about the future vehicles in Logan, not only the autonomous trucks (the section about them is near the bottom).
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 9:28 PM

I found Logan did a great job with its cars. Better than almost any other movie I can think of imagining what cars will actually look like in the future - often I find they just use whatever the latest GM concept car is at the time. Mind you they only had to project into the relatively near future - 2029 is only 11 years away and the cars were not expected to be brand new, so you only need to make the cars look like they are from 5-6 years from now.. it seemed like a surprisingly realistic portrayal of what the world may look like in 11 years.

And yes, the push for larger vehicles is to allow more stuff to be hauled with less drivers. Eliminating the driver will eliminate a lot of the efficiencies of larger vehicles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation