HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:05 PM

The St Andrews airport expansion makes me wonder where the demand is coming from. Typically these types of developments occur in reaction to demand, not in speculation there might be demand.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The St Andrews airport expansion makes me wonder where the demand is coming from. Typically these types of developments occur in reaction to demand, not in speculation there might be demand.
Build it, and they will come?

Quote:
St. Andrew's Airport expanding
$2.3M for new roadways, extended taxiway, additional lots
Martin Cash By: Martin Cash

Posted: 06/27/2018 8:03 PM

St. Andrew’s Airport is undergoing the first expansion since it was certified by Transport Canada in 1964.

The small aircraft airport is spending $2.3 million to build new roadways, extend a taxiway and build a new apron area to make way for 10 new lots.

Only one prospective tenant — Aircraft Maintenance Solutions, a small aircraft maintenance company — has been confirmed. Craig Skonberg, airport general manager, said the company is currently working out of three other hangars and needs a hangar of its own.

"Everyone is very competitive," he said. "Everyone is playing their cards close to the vest."

The St. Andrews Airport, which has been owned by the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews since 1999, has secured bank financing for the work that includes building water and sewage lines and making arrangement for gas and electrical services from Manitoba Hydro and Centra Gas. Existing tenants or municipality taxpayers will not be asked to help fund the project.

"The St. Andrews Airport is thriving with operating profits annually and growth to the point that all airside and groundside lots for tenants are fully occupied," airport board chairperson Jerry Roehr.

It may be a small airport, but St. Andrew’s is very busy. In fact, it’s the second busiest in the province and the 17th busiest in the country out of 700 airports with 105,000 aircraft movements per year. The largest plane that might use the airport is a 13-seater.

When it was originally built, at the beginning of the "jet age" in the late ’50s and early ’60s, small aircraft were in danger of getting caught in turbulence from the jets at the major international airports.

"It was built to separate the traffic from Winnipeg," Skonberg said.

The airport just north of the city is now home to about 190 aircraft, two flying schools, charter companies and lodge operators and the home base for two small airlines — Northway Aviation and Amik Aviation — which operate scheduled services to mostly First Nation communities in Northeastern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.

Andrew Weremy, chief administrative officer for the RM of St. Andrews, said it is a good commercial asset for the municipality.

"Years back when it was owned by the Federal government it lost money every year," Weremy said. "Once it was taken over by the municipality and run by a separate board of directors... it now turns a profit every year. That is what helps them fund an expansion like this."

The airport generates a little more than $1 million in annual revenue, mostly from rental income.

Skonberg said the airport expansion, which is scheduled to begin next week, is supported by a "robust business plan." In addition to the airside lots, the expansion plans also include non-airside lots on the west side of Airport Drive.

A commercial real estate company will handle the search for suitable tenants.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:14 AM

So I’ve heard that the company that owns/runs Bearskin Calm Air and Perimeter have bought Wasaya so it will be interesting to see what will happen

Flair is pulling out of Hamilton and is changing the YWG to Hamilton flight to a Toronto as Flair shifts to Toronto

Delta is apparently maybe keeping their 5pm airbus till November, they will have two a day along with two crj900s

Wonder if Swoop will add US flights eventually, i read the changes WestJet did in Edmonton with Swoop taking over, people are mad at westjet for making them now connect through Calgary to Vegas and such.

Also think Rouge will ever come into our market?

Thought I’d update a little since nothing has been going on for this ...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:42 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
So I’ve heard that the company that owns/runs Bearskin Calm Air and Perimeter have bought Wasaya so it will be interesting to see what will happen

Flair is pulling out of Hamilton and is changing the YWG to Hamilton flight to a Toronto as Flair shifts to Toronto

Delta is apparently maybe keeping their 5pm airbus till November, they will have two a day along with two crj900s

Wonder if Swoop will add US flights eventually, i read the changes WestJet did in Edmonton with Swoop taking over, people are mad at westjet for making them now connect through Calgary to Vegas and such.

Also think Rouge will ever come into our market?

Thought I’d update a little since nothing has been going on for this ...
I wish Westjet or Swoop would add a seasonal direct flight to Lauderdale again. It was a massive pain having to fly through TO.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:10 PM

Considering the YWG-PHX route is heavily based around winter recreational travel I am somewhat surprised Swoop isn't taking over some of those WestJet flights as YWG-AZA instead. Seems like a much more starved market.

I also thought by now WestJest would run once weekly YWG-HNL flights with heavy marketing to upsell as complete vacation packages and take a shave off the hotel side.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:04 PM

Good luck to Flair at YWG.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...691260501.html

- Winnipeg to Vegas (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to St. Petersburg/Clearwater (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Miami (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Orlando (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Phoenix/Mesa (2x Weekly)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:06 PM

^ Hey, that's nice news. Although, it is Flair so who knows how long it'll last... let's hope those routes make it through the Christmas holidays.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:22 PM

I took a quick glimpse at some dates to Phoenix in January and Delta's cheaper than Flair. Yes, Delta involves a connecting flight but on the other hand they don't ding you extra for bringing a personal item (i.e. a woman's purse!) on board, and you can be confident that Delta won't be bankrupt when it's time to travel.

This is a far cry from the typical ULCC scenario where you tend to save a bundle. In this case the ULCC isn't even the cheapest option for Phoenix, and looking at fares for Vegas and St. Pete I doubt they're the cheapest to those destinations either.

I don't mean to dump on Flair but what is the point of dealing with ULCC hassles when you don't actually save any money?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:25 PM

Flair to:

Vegas Monday and Friday..

Miami Wednesday and Saturday.

Orlando Sunday and Thursday.

Phoenix/Mesa Sunday and Thursday.

St Pete/Clearwater Monday and Friday.

--

Seems pretty workable and definitely money on the table if they can be trusted to actually fly them through the whole winter season.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I took a quick glimpse at some dates to Phoenix in January and Delta's cheaper than Flair. Yes, Delta involves a connecting flight but on the other hand they don't ding you extra for bringing a personal item (i.e. a woman's purse!) on board, and you can be confident that Delta won't be bankrupt when it's time to travel.

This is a far cry from the typical ULCC scenario where you tend to save a bundle. In this case the ULCC isn't even the cheapest option for Phoenix, and looking at fares for Vegas and St. Pete I doubt they're the cheapest to those destinations either.

I don't mean to dump on Flair but what is the point of dealing with ULCC hassles when you don't actually save any money?
I used an example for my neck of the woods YEG-MCO for April 2019 and Flair was cheaper by 40% including one checked bag granted with a promo fare but it's not like WS and AC don't have seat sales every week it seems.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:51 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Flair to:

Vegas Monday and Friday..

Miami Wednesday and Saturday.

Orlando Sunday and Thursday.

Phoenix/Mesa Sunday and Thursday.

St Pete/Clearwater Monday and Friday.

--

Seems pretty workable and definitely money on the table if they can be trusted to actually fly them through the whole winter season.
I heard thru the grapevine that Westjet is planning on discontinuing it's YWG to Vegas non-stop flights in favour of funneling everything thru Calgary.

If that is true, then the Flair non-stop flights will be popular out of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:47 PM

It would also be interesting to see if WestJet changes the mostly leisure travel YWG/PHX flights to instead go to YWG/AZA (Phoenix/Mesa Gateway airport). I would imagine the AZA costs are a lot less to operate for an airline and WestJet is already operating out of AZA.

The few times I have been through AZA I would much prefer it to PHX for arrivals but departures wouldn't be as great due to the lack of amenities at AZA. The small size of the airport though is a nice bonus.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:59 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I heard thru the grapevine that Westjet is planning on discontinuing it's YWG to Vegas non-stop flights in favour of funneling everything thru Calgary.

If that is true, then the Flair non-stop flights will be popular out of Winnipeg.
Yup. I fly based on number of stop overs and travel time and then price. If I can find a direct at a reasonable price, that is always my go to over stopping over at another airport. Good for them that they are giving this a shot. Might make WJ and AC rethink the Winnipeg market.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:42 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Yup. I fly based on number of stop overs and travel time and then price. If I can find a direct at a reasonable price, that is always my go to over stopping over at another airport. Good for them that they are giving this a shot. Might make WJ and AC rethink the Winnipeg market.
To that point - I have been to Vegas probably 6 or 7 times over the past 10 years, and I have only ever taken the WJ non-stop. Adding a connection for a weekend trip probably wastes 2 hours or so each way. It doesn't sound like much, but for a 3/4 day trip, it really takes a chunk of your time away.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:32 PM

WJ did a lot of price matching when New Leaf launched... WJ and AC may end up doing a lot of price matching, which would be awesome.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Good luck to Flair at YWG.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...691260501.html

- Winnipeg to Vegas (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to St. Petersburg/Clearwater (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Miami (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Orlando (2x Weekly)
- Winnipeg to Phoenix/Mesa (2x Weekly)
I checked January dates and the fares are by no means a great deal to Las Vegas.

Return from GFK on Allegiant can be had for significantly less than Flair's posted one-way. Yes, it's a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive, but daily parking is inexpensive at GFK and you can stop at Target and Harry's on the way home.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Considering the YWG-PHX route is heavily based around winter recreational travel I am somewhat surprised Swoop isn't taking over some of those WestJet flights as YWG-AZA instead. Seems like a much more starved market.

I also thought by now WestJest would run once weekly YWG-HNL flights with heavy marketing to upsell as complete vacation packages and take a shave off the hotel side.
Not sure the demand would be there to sustain the service.

Hawaii is a more expensive destination, esp. for accommodations. Winnipeggers seem to prefer the typical Royal Fork type food and rail drinks budget all-inclusives.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Yet another reason why the big two can take their beloved hub-and-spoke model of flight and stick it up their wazoos as far as they can. They have zero interest in markets such as ours, regardless of their fancy little press releases thanking citizens of our city for our loyalty, and how much we mean to them as customers.

It's all disingenuous rubbish.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Winnipeggers seem to prefer the typical Royal Fork type food and rail drinks budget all-inclusives.
LOLLLLLLL this made me spit out some of the cookie I was eating all over the keyboard

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Hawaii is a more expensive destination, esp. for accommodations. Winnipeggers seem to prefer the typical Royal Fork type food and rail drinks budget all-inclusives.
Really? I don't know anyone that likes Royal Fork Buffet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan