HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The gas station on the border sells beer. Lots of people in that area go there. Even after the tariff, it's a good deal. Closes than the beer stores in town.
I think most duty-free shops do as well. Does the border on Hwy 61 have a duty-free shop?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:08 AM
I am a typical

I don't know is it's duty free. There is nothing on the Canadian side, and it's about 500 feet past the border.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I think most duty-free shops do as well. Does the border on Hwy 61 have a duty-free shop?
yes

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Grand Portage/Pigeon River doesn't have the traditional Duty Free shops that most major crossings have. The Canadian side has nothing, and theres a store called Rydens on the MN side thats considered a duty free shop by name only, but is basically nothing more than a general store, and is closes pretty early if you're crossing in the PM.

The beer (and gas) prices in northern MN on 61 aren't that great, so unless you're travelling through for another purpose, it's not really a worthwhile alternative to the Beer Store or LCBO.

While I don't like the inconvenience and monopoly aspect of The Beer Store, the prices aren't really much different from when I've bought beer in QC, MB, or BC. Beer prices in the US vary a lot more than they do in Canada. Some states are much cheaper than others. Go to California, and you almost feel like you're paying the same as in Canada once they add the CRV tax etc...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
As a former Montrealer (and Vancouverite, Kelownite, Edmontoner) and current Londoner, I must say in all sincerity that
I HATE THE BEER STORE.

Quite possibly, the most asinine retailing concept in the history of this country. Consumers Distributing never died; rather it became the Beer Store.

Why do I hate the Beer Store? or, why I am just about ready to move back to the land of beer civilization (Quebec).
  1. rip-off prices
  2. stock-outs on any decent brand that happens to be on sale
  3. rip-off prices
  4. revoltingly horrible "service": what the fvck is the deal with the goddamn crappy computers and microphone ordering? 4 terminals, but NEVER more than 2 are manned at any time
  5. operating hours (rather, lack thereof)
  6. locations (rather, lack thereof)
  7. the way that the Beer store pushes shitty expensive bottled Canadian horse piss like Laker (It's-a-buck-a-steer-piss!), Lakeport, Molson Canadian (this is friggin Laurentide in parts of Quebec)
  8. rip-off prices
  9. the insanely slow process of redeeming bottles/cans (this also sucked the bag in BC, then they brought in these machines...)
  10. the crappy ambiance (wow, Laker posters! Gotta get me a deck of Beer-store playing cards! Who the hell would ever buy a ball-cap with the Laker brand embossed??!!?!!?!!?)
  11. Paying...and waiting. Going over to the wrong conveyor belt. Waiting...and waiting. Your beer is getting warm. Huge stores, no staff.
  12. rip-off prices
  13. the fact that they will not give back bottle/can deposit on certain brands
  14. the general level of retardedness of the staff.
  15. The fvcking hours. yeah, let's close up at 6:00pm most nights of the week (I dunno 'bout y'alls, but I get the taste for a beer AFTER work...I don't usually leave work in the middle of the day just so that I can visit the BS during their bankers' hours.
  16. The way that vile piss-tasting beers like Laker are labelled "Premium". For the love of God.
  17. The way that they charge more money (per millilitre of beer) for shite like Blue than for decent stuff like Grolsch (if you maximize your value by purchasing those 500ml cans like I do). OK, so this is not so bad, but WHY for fvcks sake?
  18. Just try to find a location that is open after 5pm on a Sunday. Why? Did God once said: Thou shalt not imbibeth ale whence the clock passeth 5pm on my day of rest? This bugs me when you are camping...and you run out of beer (the cardinal rule of camping is never to be lacking for beer).
  19. The new stores are even shittier than the old stores. At least at some of the old stores, much was self-service. In these new formats, unless you are drinking the distilled ass-sweat that is Canadian, Laker, Lakeport, or (worst of all, BUD and/or COORS Light) you've gotta go up to the counter to order. And the fumbling clerk is like: Ahh.....lemme see....a six pack of Guinness...hmmm. Sorry, ummm, I am looking for the....hmmm. (into the Mic: JIM? Jim? How do we punch in 6 bottles of Guinnesss??). Be with you in just a sec, Sir.
  20. the stinky grizzled, slovenly guy in line before you who is stocking up for the night (a two-four of Laker, a two-four of Bud, a twelver of the Silver Bullet, and 4 bottles of Colt-45). His shitty, oil-farting '88 Ford F-250 in the parking lot. His soused dazed fatassed wife riding shotgun. His buddy in the line just behind you, even stinkier and more slovenly.
  21. did I mention the shitty prices?

Bottom line: BS=BS (Beer Store = Bullshit)
just for old times' sake. Now we have beer on sale at several grocery stores. my trips to the Beer Store have fallen to an all-time low since moving to Oaftario. I did venture into one the other day, and nothing has changed (except their shitty logo, and there are far less customers).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
just for old times' sake. Now we have beer on sale at several grocery stores. my trips to the Beer Store have fallen to an all-time low since moving to Oaftario. I did venture into one the other day, and nothing has changed (except their shitty logo, and there are far less customers).
Me too, but not quite for the same reason. I basically only buy craft 6-packs or imports, so I just go to the LCBO. And if I want some Canadian I just a grab a 6 of tall boys at the LC as well.

Plus I homebrew, which I've done for quite a few years, but recently putting together a kegerator setup has really cut down on how much store bought stuff I buy.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:36 AM

I also avoid the Beer Store as much as I can. The three locations in Timmins are all the old style where you have to order at the counter and they are just so ugly inside. I'm one of the few who buys the "specialty" beers so I often have to spell out the beer's name. And I often hear "I didn't even know we had that" when they find it in the back. I go on the website and see the store's stock.

If I have to buy cases I will often go to an LCBO store when on the road within the region. The nearby LCBO agency stores usually don't have much selection but towns that only have an LCBO and no Beer Store will sell cases (12s and 24s) as well with an okay selection. The LCBO store in Foleyet gets a lot of business from me. I believe Foleyet is the smallest place in Ontario that has a real (not agency) LCBO.

We now have two microbreweries in town so that's another option.

Oh, and two grocery stores (Food Basics and Your Independent Grocer) and Walmart now sell beer.

Finally, many people here do beer runs for themselves and others and go to Rouyn-Noranda, QC or La Sarre.

Yet our Beer Stores remain super busy and popular. But that's Timmins for you.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:33 AM

And to add to Molson Ex's list:

22. Chill magazine (the magazine of the Beer Store) featuring hot-headed idiots on the cover such as Don Cherry and MANY recipes for barbecued hamburgers.

23. When ordering you have to talk in a very "manly" and loud voice or else they don't understand.

24. The guys in line who just have to mention that they will be having a good time tonight. Well no shit buddy and guess what, we're all buying the same thing and have the same plan!

25. The blank stares you get when you ask about a beer or for suggestions

26. They talk about how they are modernizing and updating their store yet all of the stores in my region and many elsewhere still have the old orange sign and the interiors are the same as they were when I was a child. (more than 30 years ago) And you can only order at the counter.

27. In many locations they show the store's selection by putting empty bottles and cans of the brands and varieties on the wall.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

good additions to the list of infamy.

Lord, I hate that place.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario