HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Do you recall Timo Selanne's HOF acceptance speech quip? Go to 8:45 into the speech if you forgot.

Jet fans enjoy the playoffs now, who knows what the future years will bring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDsQuGV2Jho
Don't you worry. Jets fans are very much enjoying this season and the start of the playoffs. And the hope is that this team is built to contend for many more years!!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That's really only Matthews. Marner is good but isn't better than Drai, and JVR is leaving this summer anyway.

If you take a look at this, the Leafs are still paying Nathan Horton's contract ($5.3M cap hit in 17-18) which will decline over the next few years. JVR gone, Lupul gone, and there's your cap space for Matthews/Marner/whoever.

The problem with the Oilers is that they decided to give Kris Russell $4M with Larsson sat on $4.1M. Most of their core is locked up for the next few seasons, which is good, but their supplementary contracts are awful.

Their management is smart enough to know where and what to spend. Salary Cap is only for players on the ice...

Winnipeg is the third highest-spending Canadian team in terms of Cap Hit 17-18. For the Jets, their defense expiring in the next few years is the biggest concern, although they have enough steady D prospects drafted and in the system that their next few years shouldn't be too rough. Keep one or two of the current roster defense going to UFA/RFA and bring in one or two of the prospects.

Saw the Frozen Four last week and one of the better defenseman was Dylan Samberg. He's probably on the Jets in a few years, and that sort of drafting and filling in the roster saves you a lot of the cap headaches that other teams end up with when they have to sign older players because their system is lacking.

Either way, Winnipeg has to draft and develop well, because they're a no-go for most on free agency. Toronto has that problem but for other reasons.
The Leafs are still capping Phil Kessel (no wonder Pittsburg can maintain a winner)? Keep in mind when players like JVR go you have to replace them. The Oiler traded Hall and signed Lucic, then they traded Eberle and replace him with nobody. Today's NHL is not easy.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:48 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:19 PM

No one is getting Draisatl money on the Leafs except Matthews. That was Chiarelli's panic move and the market already corrected itself. Nylander's best comparables are Ehlers and Pastrnak, both of whom have outperformed him and signed for <$6.5 million (both after Draisaitl I believe). Nylander has to decide this off-season whether he takes something like a $6 million/6 year contract or bets on himself with a short-term bridge deal. Either way it's not hamstringing the team's cap in the next 3 years.

Marner is a bit trickier. He was the most dynamic player on the team this year in Matthew's absence. If he puts up another 70 points next year, he's probably going to be looking for closer to $7 million/6 years.

Regardless, losing players is inevitable. That's why the most promising thing about the Leafs is the talent still in the pipeline. They basically gutted the Marlies from last year, taking Kapanen, Dermott, and now Johnsson and the team still finished first in the AHL. Sparks won the award for the best goalie in the league.

After decades of watching the team waste picks and prospects on washed up vets it's a welcome relief to actually trust management with their assets.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 7:30 PM
Near Generational

Is this worth a suspension?

I thought no, but now that there is a hearing, I'm guessing he gets a couple.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:34 PM

Yes! Vegas player should be suspended for diving.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:36 PM

Ya am I missing something or does he not even make contact with the head in the second angle? Looks to me like Doughty was aiming shoulder the entire way. I don't know how else he can play that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:41 PM

After a disastrous season for the Ottawa Senators that included stupid decisions from management, stupid comments from the Melnyk (owner), dismal performance on the ice and a few tragedies, the owner and GM held three town halls with season ticket holders to have a frank conversation about the direction of the team.

It starts with trying to sign Erik Karlsson July 1st, removing the tarps from the nose-bleed section installed by Anselmi (who packed up and left in early February after only one year as president) reducing parking rates ($20 to $12) and concessions. They also plan to hold a few of these sessions every year from now on.

Is this common to see owners and GMs meet with season ticker holders to have an open Q and A?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
After a disastrous season for the Ottawa Senators that included stupid decisions from management, stupid comments from the Melnyk (owner), dismal performance on the ice and a few tragedies, the owner and GM held three town halls with season ticket holders to have a frank conversation about the direction of the team.

It starts with trying to sign Erik Karlsson July 1st, removing the tarps from the nose-bleed section installed by Anselmi (who packed up and left in early February after only one year as president) reducing parking rates ($20 to $12) and concessions. They also plan to hold a few of these sessions every year from now on.

Is this common to see owners and GMs meet with season ticker holders to have an open Q and A?
I really liked Dorion's press conference today. He didn't try to dance around questions and seemed pretty blunt.

A lot going to be happening with the Sens this offseason. Trying to sign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene will be tough in one go. Then there's the question of who we select in the top 5 assuming we can't get Dahlin.

What I will be curious to see is what we offer Ceci. Speculation on his contract has been overshadowed by what I just mentioned. IMO he's overrated as hell and I still don't see the organizations hard on for him. Hoping its a bridge deal so it won't hurt long term, but I still ponder how different this team would be had that Ceci-Hall trade gone through.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
What I will be curious to see is what we offer Ceci. Speculation on his contract has been overshadowed by what I just mentioned. IMO he's overrated as hell and I still don't see the organizations hard on for him. Hoping its a bridge deal so it won't hurt long term, but I still ponder how different this team would be had that Ceci-Hall trade gone through.
Totally agree. I wish they would have protected Methot and let Ceci go. Sure, Methot is injury prone, but he was a great defense partner to Karlsson and brought sorely needed experience and leadership to the group (that could have made up for not signing Kelly and Neil).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:39 AM

Boston's a damn good team. Leafs were completely outmatched in the second half.

You need your special teams to show up in the playoffs and not have your players be hotheaded asshole (kadri)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:41 AM

Wow Toronto is losing badly!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:15 AM

... and Kadri is dirtier than Marchand!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:32 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

A page from our book... sadly. We have been doing those for awhile now.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
... and Kadri is dirtier than Marchand!
Kadri is easily a top 5 piece of shit in the NHL. If Doughty got 1 game for his, very borderline suspension hit, Kadri should get 3 for his total predatory hit on defenseless Wingles. The icing on the cake is in Kadri's interview after where he mentions Wingles hit Marner in the head and didn't get a penalty....indicating he was looking at retribution against Wingles. I can't believe he was dumb enough to even say that. Again, a real piece of shit.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:23 PM

Leafs were right with Boston, turning point was Marner just missing that empty net. I forget the score at that point but I think it was 1-1. Everything seemed to go down hill from there.

Couple bone-headed hits by Kadri but he plays right on the edge, he let playoff intensity get the best of him and likely faces a suspension now. The Leafs could use a couple more guys that play with as much passion as he does, obviously channeled differently. But yeah, losing a back-to-back 30 goal scoring shutdown centreman for a game or two is going to hurt a lot...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Kadri is easily a top 5 piece of shit in the NHL. If Doughty got 1 game for his, very borderline suspension hit, Kadri should get 3 for his total predatory hit on defenseless Wingles. The icing on the cake is in Kadri's interview after where he mentions Wingles hit Marner in the head and didn't get a penalty....indicating he was looking at retribution against Wingles. I can't believe he was dumb enough to even say that. Again, a real piece of shit.
Ya...completely dirty hit. Because it is the playoffs and wel... because it is the NHL he'll get 2 games but it should be more.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 10:14 PM

@Nadi_Design
#WeAreWinnipeg
We’re repping our #WPGWhiteout gear for #GAMEDAY #Twofortwo
Good luck tonight! Go @NHLJets!

@NHLJets

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:00 PM
Starring as himself

So inspiring!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:57 AM
Starring as himself

That was as one-sided a playoff game as I've seen in years. I wonder how different it will be in St. Paul ... what can the Wild really hope to do?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada