HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,647
looking down longs hill


Photos in Fort Townshend

RNC









http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/p...oto0404005.jpg
__________________
-Where Once They Stood-
-We Stand-
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:48 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 23,654
I love that photo of Long's Hill. It makes me so proud to see just how much of our heritage we've saved. So grateful for the past generations that kept it going. Can you imagine if we have some hideous 1960s shopping mall or something where all these buildings are?

It's also hilarious to see that little park in the centre of Livingstone Street as just a fenced off area of native trees, ha!

And now we're developing so smartly. I can't wait to see what will be done with the parking lot of the Kirk.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:50 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,647
I didn't notice the park ahahha funny
__________________
-Where Once They Stood-
-We Stand-
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
Another postcard image from the mid sixties, before the Royal Trust/Fortis Building:


Source:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/VintageStJohns

Edit - I just noticed this was posted before. I guess there are only so many of these in circulation.
Still, it's nice enough to post twice though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:16 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 23,654
What a different city we could have been had we preserved ALL that we had and completely avoided North American-style development, opting for the density of British suburbs instead.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:44 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
What a different city we could have been had we preserved ALL that we had and completely avoided North American-style development, opting for the density of British suburbs instead.
I agree.. Looking at that picture, that's the St. John's I want to live in. One in which the population lives in one densely packed, large, bustling, thriving neighborhood.

I would love to live in a St. John's that expanded with the same density that existed downtown. One in which you can hop on a cable car and get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, One in which everyone was heavily reliant on the downtown; where people worked and shopped downtown and power centers were non-existant.

But sadly, we expanded unwisely as the rest of North America did. Now we are left with a beautiful downtown that, to much of our population, is just the place where tourists go. You can live your life in SJ, never ever go downtown, and be perfectly well off. I would like to see that change. I would love to see us use the beautiful heritage that remains and use that to sculpt a vibrant urban center and cap the cancer that is urban sprawl. I would much rather see Danny Williams buy all of Rabbittown, bulldoze it and make an urban heaven than to create a second Paradise even furthur from the city's core. But sadly, people follow money and will build whatever makes the most profit. Whatever types of developments make the most money are the types that are going to be built. In our case, it's suburbs and power centers.. Let's hope that changes soon!

I want to live in a downtown SJ that has that old-timely "big town" feeling but has grown into a modern, dense urban center. I believe the future is bright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:47 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
Well, St. John's was a much sleepier place then, downtown was off the radar as far as modernity went, nothing new was ever built there, although it was still the main retail centre. Something tells me people of today's generation wouldn't have been very happy with it as it was. Everything new was built in the suburban fringes and that's where everyone wanted to live, and if you lived downtown you were either poor or some kind of a rarity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:04 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I agree.. Looking at that picture, that's the St. John's I want to live in. One in which the population lives in one densely packed, large, bustling, thriving neighborhood.

I would love to live in a St. John's that expanded with the same density that existed downtown. One in which you can hop on a cable car and get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, One in which everyone was heavily reliant on the downtown; where people worked and shopped downtown and power centers were non-existant.

But sadly, we expanded unwisely as the rest of North America did. Now we are left with a beautiful downtown that, to much of our population, is just the place where tourists go. You can live your life in SJ, never ever go downtown, and be perfectly well off. I would like to see that change. I would love to see us use the beautiful heritage that remains and use that to sculpt a vibrant urban center and cap the cancer that is urban sprawl. I would much rather see Danny Williams buy all of Rabbittown, bulldoze it and make an urban heaven than to create a second Paradise even furthur from the city's core. But sadly, people follow money and will build whatever makes the most profit. Whatever types of developments make the most money are the types that are going to be built. In our case, it's suburbs and power centers.. Let's hope that changes soon!

I want to live in a downtown SJ that has that old-timely "big town" feeling but has grown into a modern, dense urban center. I believe the future is bright
I didn't see your post before I made mine, and while it's a nice idea to think that it would have been a nice place to live, it was largely a rather neglected and decrepit place by today's standards. True revitalisation didn't begin until the mid seventies, and even then people were thought of as "crazy" if they invested money in extensive renovations in row houses. Things have come a really long way since then, it's a whole different place and atmosphere, but ironically, it would not be without the years/decades of neglect which preserved the old areas of the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:57 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
Here's one of the buildings few even know existed anymore:



Quote:
"The photo on top shows the St. John's customs house at King's Beach before it was destroyed in the 1892 Great Fire. The photo on bottom shows the same area in 2011. Note that the street has been straightened. The ruins of the customs house, which were partially uncovered during construction of the new harbour interceptor sewer in 2006-2009, are located underneath the Newfoundland War Memorial and the section of Water Street in front of it, approximately where the War Memorial steps can be seen at the right of the 2011 photo" (MUN Archives)
Source: https://www.facebook.com/VintageStJohns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:40 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 23,654
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:00 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
This interesting photo shows the site of the new Victoria Park Condos and the building which used to be there, dated 1905:



Source: Vintage St John's Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:12 PM
AllBlack AllBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 265
SHH, I am fascinated by this picture you posted over on the Canada forum. Such a non-standard viewpoint that at first glance it didn't look like old St. John's at all. Any idea of the vintage of this picture?



Memorial Archives
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:38 PM
delesseps delesseps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
SHH, I am fascinated by this picture you posted over on the Canada forum. Such a non-standard viewpoint that at first glance it didn't look like old St. John's at all. Any idea of the vintage of this picture?
Since the Colonial Building looks finished and the construction of Bannerman Park doesn't appear to have started, the photo must have been taken between 1850 and 1890.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:58 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Canada
Posts: 6,447
It also looks like there were lots of trees in the vicinity of the Colonial Building at the time, maybe even some of the ones they have cut down for not being "historic".
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:56 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.