HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:49 PM
Fireoutofclay's Avatar
Fireoutofclay Fireoutofclay is offline
Weapon of Mass Creation
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 280
Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada sculpture will overlook San Pedro Creek
By Elda L Silva, Staff Writer
mysanantonio.com
Updated 12:14 pm, Friday, October 28, 2016
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertai...photo-11659229



Quote:
Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada, a Cuban American artist who is currently based in Barcelona, Spain, has been commissioned to create a six-story sculpture that will be the centerpiece of the San Pedro Creek plaza. More than a hundred artists submitted their qualifications for the $735,000 project. Rodriguez-Gerada was selected from four finalists.

Titled “Plethora,” the aluminum sculpture depicts the face of a woman, facing south in the direction of the flow of the creek. The piece will be visible from Interstate 35.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 10:58 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 201
Now THIS is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada sculpture will overlook San Pedro Creek
By Elda L Silva, Staff Writer
mysanantonio.com
Updated 12:14 pm, Friday, October 28, 2016
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertai...photo-11659229

We need more forward looking public art like this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 AM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 786
I agree. A really interesting piece. Not only the scale that will be visible from a distance, but look at the shadow it will cast. This will be a destination for people visiting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:26 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I agree. A really interesting piece. Not only the scale that will be visible from a distance, but look at the shadow it will cast. This will be a destination for people visiting.

Also, this artist has a following of people worldwide, and they will be wanting to see his latest work here in San Antonio.
It is a great, spectacular piece of public art for the city of San Antonio!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:53 AM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 400
I like it too! Just wondering if it is placed in the right area. In this rendering the backdrop is the freeway intersection. If it faced the opposite direction it would have downtown as the backdrop. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 6:02 AM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 786
It seems like this sculpture is designed to work with the sunlight, and I would think placement is pretty important. The sculpture is essentially facing South, but if you look at Google maps and see the shadows cast by the downtown buildings, it looks like the setting sun would work well the way it is depicted.

I like the wall sculpture idea on the convention center, I just wish it had a more interesting subject matter than cactus. I do need to go by one day and have a closer look at that one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:58 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 201
No you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
It seems like this sculpture is designed to work with the sunlight, and I would think placement is pretty important. The sculpture is essentially facing South, but if you look at Google maps and see the shadows cast by the downtown buildings, it looks like the setting sun would work well the way it is depicted.

I like the wall sculpture idea on the convention center, I just wish it had a more interesting subject matter than cactus. I do need to go by one day and have a closer look at that one.
The cactus is boring. I like the CC overall, but...that cactus...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:46 AM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 786
That one is perplexing. The choice of cactus really feels like the artist spent no time in the city or even learning about it. Certainly, art doesn't have to be reflective of it's home, but with a convention center I would imagine there was some guidance to tie the art to place. This shows a plant that can pop up and thrive in the most extreme places. Is that it? It doesn't even look like native cacti.

Look at some of his other similar work (http://christianmoeller.com/) like "Pushing", "Baggage Handlers" or "Hands". it is much more interesting. There really is nothing very interesting with the external design of the convention center addition except for the lone entryway (which is going to funnel everyone through about 10 doors right next to each other ). The artwork actually helps to take away the big-box retail feel to the building, but it could have been much more. This feels very safe. I'm wondering if other ideas/subjects were presented?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:25 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
That one is perplexing. The choice of cactus really feels like the artist spent no time in the city or even learning about it. Certainly, art doesn't have to be reflective of it's home, but with a convention center I would imagine there was some guidance to tie the art to place. This shows a plant that can pop up and thrive in the most extreme places. Is that it? It doesn't even look like native cacti.

Look at some of his other similar work (http://christianmoeller.com/) like "Pushing", "Baggage Handlers" or "Hands". it is much more interesting. There really is nothing very interesting with the external design of the convention center addition except for the lone entryway (which is going to funnel everyone through about 10 doors right next to each other ). The artwork actually helps to take away the big-box retail feel to the building, but it could have been much more. This feels very safe. I'm wondering if other ideas/subjects were presented?
I guess we're totally off topic now, but I walked by the front of the convention center this weekend and noticed that the cactus art is literally made out of chain link fencing (think like what schools do with plastic cups in their chain link fences to spell out words or make pictures, except they used something instead of plastic cups at the CC). So basically this big fancy new convention center is wrapped in chain link fencing. It looks incredibly tacky and cheap when viewed from the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:25 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 786
That seems similar to the one he did in San Jose. I hadn't considered what it looks like that close, but I can certainly see your point. On a parking garage it probably looks ok, but tacked on a building? It probably looks odd. I need to see this in person
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 11:44 PM
SAtown SAtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 77
New renderings for this were included in the construction drawings at the HDRC meeting for this week.... I had a feeling that the tacky would creep back into this project... This is still significantly better than the original renderings, but they kept saying this was supposed to be a "Riverwalk for locals"... To me, it just comes off as a cheap imitation of the Riverwalk. See below link.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...3-D911C8578ABC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:58 AM
SAhometown SAhometown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
oops wrong thread sorry..

....

Last edited by SAhometown; Dec 6, 2016 at 1:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:52 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 201
Not sure what you want, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
New renderings for this were included in the construction drawings at the HDRC meeting for this week.... I had a feeling that the tacky would creep back into this project... This is still significantly better than the original renderings, but they kept saying this was supposed to be a "Riverwalk for locals"... To me, it just comes off as a cheap imitation of the Riverwalk. See below link.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...3-D911C8578ABC
Yeah, a couple of the renderings looks like drainage ditches with sidewalks, but the others look just fine. Not sure what you were hoping for, given the already existing infrastructure.

I also like the idea of the acequias running along the length. Hearkens back to when the indigenous peoples populated the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 8:58 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,814
Delays, Rising Costs for San Pedro Creek Project

Quote:
Construction on the San Pedro Creek Improvements Project will begin next week, but the transformative effort is turning out to be more expensive and more time consuming than initially anticipated, officials said Thursday at a San Pedro Creek subcommittee meeting at the San Antonio River Authority offices.

A number of factors including design changes already put the project over budget in October, leading the County to up its financial commitment to the $175 million effort.

As of late, cost impacts have risen by 35%, due to the project’s fast tracked schedule as well as a lack of bidders for the project’s small work packages, River Authority Watershed Engineer Kerry Averyt told the subcommittee.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:17 PM
SAhometown SAhometown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
Artwork Galore!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:41 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,814
That first picture is GORGEOUS!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 4:31 AM
RyanfromTexas's Avatar
RyanfromTexas RyanfromTexas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 77
excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
That first picture is GORGEOUS!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.