HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

150 North Riverside in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:33 PM

2/19- Got to see it up close this weekend. Looks great to me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:44 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Yep, no open judgement about some folks' feelings about how the plaza or certain elements of the building turned out.

It does seem like less effort was put in to read off the design language of the tower itself with regard to the plaza and riverwalk frontage (which is okay in my mind, as they are two entirely separate elements of the overall design), but as a package deal, the property looks incredible. It's hard to argue with how well the project panned out as a whole.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:03 AM

I think many of Pilsenarch's criticisms of this building are valid however I do think he was overly harsh. Overall, if I were to assign a letter grade on the building architecture I would probably give it a B+ while I would give River Point an A. My biggest criticism would be the lack of any significant punctuation at the top of this building. This is now the tallest building west of the river and as such it should make a skyline statement. Instead it just kind of blends into the rest of the Loop highrises and is somewhat difficult to distinguish from the masses. Compare this to River Point nearby and slightly shorter that stands out on the skyline especially when viewed from the west and north. The way the necessary parabolic arch that was used at the base is then referenced in the crown really adds a satisfying flourish to River Point. The inward slope of the arch on the crown reflects light from a different angle really making it stand out further from the rest of the building's facade. 150 N. should have done something similar at the top by referencing the dramatic 45 degree slope of the base in the screening of the mechanical penthouse. I think the louvers at the base look great especially when back lit but I agree with Pilsenarch that they should be referenced again at the top not because they are necessary but because they would provide a design motif to help the crown stand out especially if lit up at night.

I am also disappointed that the two toned glass was not used on the north and south sides as depicted in the renderings. To me the north and south elevations look flat and I think the two toned glass would have really added to the slenderness of the building when viewed from the N-S and the drama of the cantilever. I also think the wavy fins should have been used on the N-S elevations instead of the straight fins.

The lobby is neat and the electronic art a very nice touch. However, due to the constraints of the site the lobby isn't as impressive as River Point's which has the most dramatic views of any lobby in the city. The lobby at 150 N is sunk below the plaza level to the west and just simply can't compete with the views afforded by River Point's lobby. That said I think the designers of 150 N did about as good as possible with the site constraints. I like the chamfered stone columns at the base. They seem to be a clear visual reference to the 45 degree cantilever above executed on a different plane.

I think the plaza will turn out very nice but be rather disjunct with the rest of the building design. Compare that with River Point which has a plaza that relates much better to the building and offers a public space with arguably the most impressive views of any public plaza in the city.

Overall River Point is a much more coherent and consistent project.

Last edited by 2PRUROCKS!; Feb 22, 2017 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:30 AM

Feb 21
A rainy morning

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:38 AM

That last shot will look incredible if/when that general growth building goes up! Not that it doesn't already.....

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
That last shot will look incredible if/when that general growth building goes up! Not that it doesn't already.....
Wait for the foliage.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:44 AM

That east plaza turned out terrific. Going to be busy with people especially when summer rolls around. Have they said which restraunt/chef got the space? Im sure I just missed that article.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
That east plaza turned out terrific. Going to be busy with people especially when summer rolls around. Have they said which restraunt/chef got the space? Im sure I just missed that article.
Per Eater:

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/2/14/1...oop-skyscraper

Quote:
The under-construction 150 North Riverside building, a 54-story tower off Randolph Street and the Chicago River, could become quite a dining destination. Brendan Sodikoff is bringing his Small Cheval burgers to the riverside space, so diners can nosh on a burger while watching the boats pass by.

Small Cheval will be joined by Hannah’s Bretzel and Starbucks, as signage has gone up at the building site. Hannah’s should open this summer, and they’ll have a grab-and-go section, according to a spokeswoman. Sodikoff’s Hogsalt Hospitality didn’t respond to a comment request.
Will surely be a bustling area at lunchtime.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Per Eater:

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/2/14/1...oop-skyscraper

Small Cheval will be joined by Hannah’s Bretzel and Starbucks...

Will surely be a bustling area at lunchtime.
Ok there's a Starbucks literally a stone's throw away across the river at 150 N Upper Wacker. I hope they close that one then. Great news about Small Cheval though!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:20 AM

Wow they did such a great job with the pedestrian level along the rivers edge. It makes this building much more approachable.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:45 AM

March 3

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:34 PM

Beautiful.

Somebody, please, paint that elevated structure something other than that horrible tan/mustard color.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 11:57 PM

View from Skydeck, March 4, 2017

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 2:44 PM

Awesome photo. Sun-Times/hilton has got to go. Wolf Point East and South we are crying for birth. Also how badass would 600 west Chicago look with a 700 footer on top of it. Not sure if that is feasible or not

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:13 AM

From the still operating webcam.

03/08/17

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:37 AM

03/11/17

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive