HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:18 PM

del

Last edited by SAtown; Jul 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM. Reason: del

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:32 PM

Yeah now that the city has some momentum and the incentives, we really need to start enforcing more street-level retail and more affordable units.

I also believe that the city needs to increase funding for SAHA for affordable units in these urban neighborhoods. SA isn't the wealthiest city, and many recent graduates who would love to live within the urban core are priced out. I can imagine the hiding demand that is pent up.

And I really hope we start to discuss urban development that reflects our distinct cultural and historical influences. I host many travelers passing through SA, and the most frequent comments about their views of SA always reflect on how surprised they were to find SA to be so different from their preconceived notions. It is easy to preserve a building, but again we need to not simply preserve the past; but we need to continue on and expand upon the qualities that make our past worth preserving.

I'm writing a new article, but I haven't pinned the tail on the direction I want to go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:44 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
Especially projects like the new Rivera or whatever it is called. I can't see how they would think the ground floor apartments whose doors open up 2 feet from Broadway are going to do well. It's like the never actually went to the site, but just took another mediocre design from Dallas and transplanted it there. Ground floor shops would have been fantastic there! It makes me sad every time I go past it.
Ding ding ding! It really boggles the mind. What's more, all the new retail space in Midtown/River North is 100% leased as far as I can tell. Maybe we'll see some of those units turned into retail when the developer wakes up and realizes the opportunity they're passing up (something similar happened at the Cevallos Lofts, I believe).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:22 PM

I really wish cities would see the benefits of providing affordable housing in the core. I suppose I could fit in the recent college graduate demographic (UTSA '12), been living in Phoenix since 2012 and just moved into my studio on the edge of downtown. I'm paying $685/mo for rent and I have everything I need within walking distance as I don't have a car. 10 min to the grocery store, 10 min to the movie theater, 3 min to my favorite bar, 6 min to the light rail. Now my train ride to work has gone from 30 min to 6 min. I actually plan on walking to work once the temps stop hitting 110+! haha

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:57 PM

I know this is not about San Antonio, but

Congratulations to Austin.

http://www.today.com/home/2017-us-be...report-t107829

Austin is number one.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:36 PM

That is awesome for our neighbor to the north. More tourism for us with possible visitors!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
That is awesome for our neighbor to the north. More tourism for us with possible visitors!

Yes, congrats Austin, Texas!!
And agreed jaga, SA loves the overspill of people from our little neighbor to the north!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:16 PM

By the way these are the other Texas cities that made it on the top 25:

15. Dallas
20. Houston
23. San Antonio

( data provided from San Antonio Business Journal)

Congrats to ALL!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:31 PM

This is great for Texas. Now we need to get to work on our two monolithically Hispanic major cities (the RGV and El Paso) and our one major bastion of working class whites (Fort Worth) to provide a better geographic equality of opportunity for our citizens.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:46 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Ahhhh, that's not a comparison. LOL
It's called a question.
Sleeping in English class, I assume...

Make your day a GREAT day!!

First of all, your snarky ad homs are not appreciated. We should endeavor to keep the discourse civil.

Second, you miss the point. Even Weston wants to duplicate the things that have been successful in other cities. He had to be convinced that DT could be the catalyst for his vision.

Dell was not in DT Austin, but off of Research Blvd. So, in essence, he wants to take what has been successful in Austin, and improve it here, while also invigorating the DT core.

Looking at what other cities have achieved does not mean we want to be a carbon copy of those cities, but rather take what has worked, and make it ours.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio