HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:04 PM
Team Alinghi

Just landed another renovation permit. $12,000,000.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:15 PM

The helicopters were at it again the last two weekends, and lots of little things are going on. I just noticed that some of the limestone is cut out toward the bottom of the west facade (close to the underpass), and several other signs of progress.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:33 PM

There is quite a bit of facade work going on actually. They are working on the limestone at the north west corner as well, and the entire top floor setback of the west facade and have removed all of the marble door surrounds at the Van Buren St. Entrance. The interior lobby fixtures must have been sent out for restoration as well because there are just temp lights hanging in there now.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:03 PM
All-American City Boy

Today

20170417_112728 by HomrQT, on Flickr

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:39 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:32 PM
Team Alinghi

via Curbed

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:22 PM

lot of work to have people wind up sitting on a wooden box

or maybe that's their friend in a coffin

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 6:27 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

via Curbed
Just re-posting the image. Does not come up for me.

img src - curbed.com

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:49 PM

w.t.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:17 AM

07/22/17

Windows...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:22 AM

Well that's an improvement.

These are going to be awesome loft spaces. High ceilings, exposed brick, enormous windows.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:18 PM

Are those new windows still in "test" phase or are they perminent? I only ask because i figured they would fix up the facade first. But I do like the windows.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Are those new windows still in "test" phase or are they perminent? I only ask because i figured they would fix up the facade first. But I do like the windows.
Saw those the other day and it looks like testing. I'd, personally, want to be pretty sure before ordering enough units to do every opening in that rather large building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

These are going to be awesome loft spaces. High ceilings, exposed brick, enormous windows.
Well, call me impressed. My initial thought was that the sides needed a thicker upright, but then realized that they match the existing windows. Then I realized how closely they match overall, same number of panes in the same configuration, even the exact same panels to match the operable portions of the existing windows. I wonder if they actually open of it it's just for show, but in any case "solid work all around".

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

Its so crazy that they are just one day going to dump 2.4 million square feet of office space onto the local market. They are just quietly going about their business preparing the building for opening, no announcements have been made, no tenants have been signed from what we know. One day just BOOM 2.4 million square feet is now available. I think once this becomes available in will have a profound effect on office construction for several years.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:52 PM

^^It could be a mock-up, but judging by temporary protection removed from the two adjacent windows, seems like they're prepping for the next set. The building is going to look SO GOOD once the window install is complete.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:00 PM

I hoping for a large corporate relocation (I'm sure the developer is too). Someone with over 1 million square feet in the burbs. Trying to find 1 million + square feet in a shinny new office building downtown has to be super expensive. I would think this would be so much more affordable. There aren't many options really if you are looking to relocate 3000 or more employees.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:07 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I hoping for a large corporate relocation (I'm sure the developer is too). Someone with over 1 million square feet in the burbs. Trying to find 1 million + square feet in a shinny new office building downtown has to be super expensive. I would think this would be so much more affordable. There aren't many options really if you are looking to relocate 3000 or more employees.
Time and time again I see this. Getting corporations to relocate from the suburbs is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Chicago and Illinois should be focusing on acquiring new corporate HQ's from overseas, or at the very least, out of state. Hollowed out suburbs will just spell trouble for the city, time to start thinking a little differently about city/suburb dynamics, I don't see the two being mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Time and time again I see this. Getting corporations to relocate from the suburbs is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Chicago and Illinois should be focusing on acquiring new corporate HQ's from overseas, or at the very least, out of state. Hollowed out suburbs will just spell trouble for the city, time to start thinking a little differently about city/suburb dynamics, I don't see the two being mutually exclusive.
A suburb relocation is just a more realistic scenario. A large company relocating from far away would risk losing tons of employees in the process. And while the state may not gain directly from these relocations, the city and County could. You could even count less traffic and less pollution as a benefit.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
A suburb relocation is just a more realistic scenario. A large company relocating from far away would risk losing tons of employees in the process. And while the state may not gain directly from these relocations, the city and County could. You could even count less traffic and less pollution as a benefit.
Also a bunch of new housing going up very close by. Assuming there will be an entrance on the Harrison side this is literally a 5 minute walk from RiverLine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development