HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

    

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #681  
Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:25 PM
MultiModal MultiModal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Bummer why? The lot is being repaved.



I'm pretty sure the sales center will be in the 1006 building.
It will be on the first floor of 1006, they are building it out currently. JK Equities also owns 1006 S Michigan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #682  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:34 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,554
Helmut Jahn on His Practice, His Career, and His Most Recent Chicago Project 1000M

Quote:
Named for its address, 1000 South Michigan has been in the works for some time now. Originally set to be a “supertall” building at 1,000 feet, the design has since been scaled back a bit. It’s now 852 feet tall and cantilevers slightly over its neighbors. Stepped boxes have been replaced with sloped sides and curved corners. It’s intended to both fit into its context and stand out—a sleek and confident building bearing the mark of an architect who no longer needs to flash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #683  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:31 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,710
I'm wondering if he meant 832'? Nothing on the PD has been amended, as of now at least.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #684  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:52 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I'm wondering if he meant 832'? Nothing on the PD has been amended, as of now at least.
He mentioned 852 more than once as well.
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #685  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:57 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
Skyscraper Junkie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 513
^ Probably a typo, but if not I'll gladly welcome an additional 20 feet.

Although 200 more feet to bring it back up to its original height would be even more welcome
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #686  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 8:58 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 843
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so..We will just be getting safe and no cutting edge projects because of whats going on. So many project like this one end up changing design completely and reduced in height for silly reasons and the architect original vision never gets met...I understand designs and changes are part of the business but NYC has so many large scale projects that stay true to original version and rarely get height reductions like Chicago has been seeing on so many project in the downtown/rivernorth area recently... This project in current form is nothing to brag about but could of been so much more special if stayed with the original design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #687  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:12 AM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so..We will just be getting safe and no cutting edge projects because of whats going on. So many project like this one end up changing design completely and reduced in height for silly reasons and the architect original vision never gets met...I understand designs and changes are part of the business but NYC has so many large scale projects that stay true to original version and rarely get height reductions like Chicago has been seeing on so many project in the downtown/rivernorth area recently... This project in current form is nothing to brag about but could of been so much more special if stayed with the original design.
If only Jahn, or Vinoly, or Gang, or SOM or Adrian Smith or someone would build something in this city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #688  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:57 AM
SpireGuy's Avatar
SpireGuy SpireGuy is offline
Making Chicago Memorable.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so..We will just be getting safe and no cutting edge projects because of whats going on. So many project like this one end up changing design completely and reduced in height for silly reasons and the architect original vision never gets met...I understand designs and changes are part of the business but NYC has so many large scale projects that stay true to original version and rarely get height reductions like Chicago has been seeing on so many project in the downtown/rivernorth area recently... This project in current form is nothing to brag about but could of been so much more special if stayed with the original design.
Agreed. I also think the developers propose boring designs. NYC has some cool supertalls going up with different shapes and textures. We need to get some diversity in our new builds. It's time to stop building blue glass/silver boxes. The Jahn tower is decent, but not pushing boundaries or anything. It will blend in with all the other blue glass buildings going up near by...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #689  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:55 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
If only Jahn, or Vinoly, or Gang, or SOM or Adrian Smith or someone would build something in this city!
he said signature......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #690  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:01 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
he said signature......
Gang and Vinoly certainly have put forth good designs, but yeah Jahn... not so much. Adrian Smith gave us Trump Tower not too long ago, and that is certainly one of his signature towers.
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #691  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:18 PM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Gang and Vinoly certainly have put forth good designs, but yeah Jahn... not so much. Adrian Smith gave us Trump Tower not too long ago, and that is certainly one of his signature towers.
I would say the original iteration of this tower had the potential to be Jahn's best tower from the second half of his career. Hopefully he gets another opportunity with a Thompson Center carve-in tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #692  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:30 PM
JK47 JK47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so

The development process and city bureaucracy are not new developments (been this way for decades) so if there's been a recent shift in patterns I wouldn't attribute it to that. It's also not significantly easier to build in NYC which has it's own bureaucratic trials and tribulations to deal with. Also, if you're looking at a 10 year span, your view will be distorted since for several years during the Great Recession there was very little development activity at all.

It's far more likely that it's about money, particularly the rate of return. Signature designs can command steep prices in the NYC real estate market which helps to justify the cost. Investors and lenders are very conscious of costs after the excess of the building boom that preceded the recession.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #693  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:48 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I would say the original iteration of this tower had the potential to be Jahn's best tower from the second half of his career. Hopefully he gets another opportunity with a Thompson Center carve-in tower.
I agree, the original iteration was beautiful. The carve-in tower will never happen despite being quite the beauty. That building is headed for the chopping block and the sight will probably turn into a few 40 story apartment buildings(knowing our luck), despite having so much potential. I'm gonna be sad to see that day.
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #694  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:07 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Agreed. I also think the developers propose boring designs. NYC has some cool supertalls going up with different shapes and textures. We need to get some diversity in our new builds. It's time to stop building blue glass/silver boxes. The Jahn tower is decent, but not pushing boundaries or anything. It will blend in with all the other blue glass buildings going up near by...
He obviously feels differently:

Quote:
Architect Helmut Jahn on the Need for Innovation and Boldness

MG: What’s the biggest surprise in the luxury real estate market now?

HJ: The biggest surprise is that there is no surprise. By that I mean that part of our goal in architecture is to innovate and do something new, but nobody is breaking out of the mold and being bold. Look at all the residential buildings going up, they’re all glass curtain walls, and not even designed by architects, but by companies that make the glass walls.

And the apartments are often very small, too. It should be about making people more comfortable—making ceilings higher, giving them outdoor space and more light.

The unfortunate thing is that architecture is eclipsed by real estate value issues. There aren’t enough people selling and renting these homes who believe in that architectural value. Look at 57th Street in New York, they’re all big and tall buildings, but that’s it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #695  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:34 PM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,521
^ All due respect to Jahn, but is he blind? 111 W 57th, Tower Verre, 9 Dekalb, 35 Hudson Yards, etc. Innovative and bold apartment towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #696  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:54 PM
Rocket49 Rocket49 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 100
In the interview, Jahn says he has an 8,000 SQ. METER apartment in Chicago.

I'm assuming he was experiencing a senior moment?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #697  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:32 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 14,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
In the interview, Jahn says he has an 8,000 SQ. METER apartment in Chicago.

I'm assuming he was experiencing a senior moment?
Must have been; that would be one of the largest homes in America.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #698  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:58 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,710
Saw this the other day at Illinois/Columbus

__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #699  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:49 PM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,521
^. Same ad as what's on the fencing on site. That's about as real as it gets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #700  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:34 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Team Alinghi
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 832
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.