HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1841  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 11:20 PM
Tosin007 Tosin007 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth!
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Kk thanks! (Although a Nightclub is somewhat Political IMO because of Zoning), it's hardly about Food/ Drink though I get the idea.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1842  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 11:22 PM
Tosin007 Tosin007 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth!
Posts: 1,378
Coming soon... Your go to podcast on Calgary Municipal Politics

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/04/20...cipal-politics
^ Calgary Sun Article!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1843  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:06 PM
Cage Cage is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,291
Lori Masse has droppes out of the race in Ward 11.

She announced via twitter this morning. Reasoning given was that the present council attitudes towards women in politics are negative.

The good news is that ward 11 had too many good candidates, further had multiple askher candidates that would canabolise each other's base and see a another candidate come up the middle.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1844  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:35 PM
UofC.engineer's Avatar
UofC.engineer UofC.engineer is offline
Laura Palmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Peaks, Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Lori Masse has droppes out of the race in Ward 11.

She announced via twitter this morning. Reasoning given was that the present council attitudes towards women in politics are negative.

The good news is that ward 11 had too many good candidates, further had multiple askher candidates that would canabolise each other's base and see a another candidate come up the middle.
How is the present council's attitude towards women in politics negative?

It also could be she only raised $75 on a go fund me page.
https://www.gofundme.com/lorimasseforward11
__________________
I've got good news! That gum you like is going to come back in style!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1845  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:45 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
How is the present council's attitude towards women in politics negative?

It also could be she only raised $75 on a go fund me page.
https://www.gofundme.com/lorimasseforward11
Damn, I find that hard to believe it's even possible. Did someone forget to post the link on social media or something?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1846  
Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:14 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 21,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
How is the present council's attitude towards women in politics negative?
I was wondering the same thing. Aside from some silly things (Like Councilor Sutherland making stabbing motions toward Druh's back) it seems pretty accepting toward women.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1847  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:10 AM
Cage Cage is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Aside from some silly things (Like Councilor Sutherland making stabbing motions toward Druh's back) it seems pretty accepting toward women.
Political action groups make hay out of any incident that is an opportunity (don't let a crisis go to waste). When I looked at the Sutherland and Farrell video on item 7.27 May 8th Council Meeting I knew that this would be an issue. Not because it's bad but because it looks bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
How is the present council's attitude towards women in politics negative?
There is the conservative 5 on council: Chabot, Demong, Chu, Magliocca, and Sutherland that operate very close together (i.e. they trade texts and platforms very quickly). Add in Stevenson and the 6 go way back to the old reform party and Alberta PC party. Colley-Urqhart also has ties to the Alberta PCs but not the reform party (AFAIK).

Anytime there is a sub group (the clique) formed within a larger group, there will be divisions within the entire group. In the case of city council, the conservative group will hold the day or at least limit the ability of other Councillors to realize their goals.

The reverse also holds true where a subgroup of women will hold the power within a larger group of Councillors or board members.

My understanding is that most of the negative stuff happens behind closed doors in the offices and cubicles of the ward Councillors office.

Most of the issues with Women in politics have to do with the electorate. Too many internet crazies.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1848  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:58 PM
UofC.engineer's Avatar
UofC.engineer UofC.engineer is offline
Laura Palmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Peaks, Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
There is the conservative 5 on council: Chabot, Demong, Chu, Magliocca, and Sutherland that operate very close together (i.e. they trade texts and platforms very quickly). Add in Stevenson and the 6 go way back to the old reform party and Alberta PC party. Colley-Urqhart also has ties to the Alberta PCs but not the reform party (AFAIK).

Anytime there is a sub group (the clique) formed within a larger group, there will be divisions within the entire group. In the case of city council, the conservative group will hold the day or at least limit the ability of other Councillors to realize their goals.

The reverse also holds true where a subgroup of women will hold the power within a larger group of Councillors or board members.
Sounds like politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
My understanding is that most of the negative stuff happens behind closed doors in the offices and cubicles of the ward Councillors office.
Ghost hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Most of the issues with Women in politics have to do with the electorate. Too many internet crazies.
The internet can be a dark place with a final boss

At the end of the day I think ideology trumps everything. i.e. feminists in Paris protesting Marine Le Pen. Even a statement like "Math is hard" during a twitter debate(or a provincial debt) on finance can be spun to make your opponent sound misogynist. It's a character assassination. It's politics.
__________________
I've got good news! That gum you like is going to come back in style!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1849  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:21 PM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is online now
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,945
So will we see another builders/construction slate again? Will we even know until after the election as there's a very good chance that past leaks have been addressed by now.
__________________
Just a wee bit below average prairie boy in Canada's third largest city and fourth largest CMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1850  
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 11:47 PM
Cage Cage is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
So will we see another builders/construction slate again? Will we even know until after the election as there's a very good chance that past leaks have been addressed by now.
This season's slate will be the list of askher candidates, who are all of similar mind/opinion on most issues.

The conservative 5 are all running again, so the previous slate is now the incumbent position.

There is still a lot of life left in the current council term. I don't think the ballot box question can be determined.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1851  
Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:37 PM
MalcolmTucker's Avatar
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
This season's slate will be the list of askher candidates, who are all of similar mind/opinion on most issues.

The conservative 5 are all running again, so the previous slate is now the incumbent position.

There is still a lot of life left in the current council term. I don't think the ballot box question can be determined.
You haven't met the ask her candidates. Out at a fundraiser for the organization, a few represented were so anti tax and anti green line that they could have ran against the council conservatives from the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1852  
Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:24 PM
Cage Cage is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
You haven't met the ask her candidates. Out at a fundraiser for the organization, a few represented were so anti tax and anti green line that they could have ran against the council conservatives from the right.
I have met a few of the askher candidates and I am on twitter with any Calgary council candidate except for the wack-a-doos (So CalgarySenate and the urban chicken farmer are not on my follow list).

My view of the askher candidates is entirely based upon my knowledge regarding the candidates public statements or lack of public statements.

I guess my problem is that some of the askher candidates are also online social justice warriors (my interpretation) and those candidates are drowning out the other candidates who have yet to express their conservative tendencies.

One of the quickest ways for askher to slay the "slate dragon" is to have a diversity of public opinions from the candidates they are supporting.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1853  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 7:54 PM
UofC.engineer's Avatar
UofC.engineer UofC.engineer is offline
Laura Palmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Peaks, Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,007
I get the impression that there is something up with the Terrigno family.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gton-1.4127870

Quote:
Two months before that vote, at a planning meeting, Rocco Terrigno's son Mike followed a city planner outside the meeting and was accused of threatening him.
__________________
I've got good news! That gum you like is going to come back in style!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1854  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 8:21 PM
Cage Cage is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I get the impression that there is something up with the Terrigno family.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gton-1.4127870
Classic "SLAP" lawsuit (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation).
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1855  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 8:34 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 21,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I get the impression that there is something up with the Terrigno family.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gton-1.4127870
Another wealthy group trying to use their money to influence council, what a bunch of greedy bullies. I hope they get a ton of negative press and their stupid restaurant fails now.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1856  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 9:41 PM
googspecial googspecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YYC
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Another wealthy group trying to use their money to influence council, what a bunch of greedy bullies. I hope they get a ton of negative press and their stupid restaurant fails now.
It happened already? Or did they move? Osteria on 10th and Kensington is an all-you-can eat sushi place now...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1857  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 9:48 PM
CalgaryAlex's Avatar
CalgaryAlex CalgaryAlex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by googspecial View Post
It happened already? Or did they move? Osteria on 10th and Kensington is an all-you-can eat sushi place now...
Osteria now occupies half of the building, and is still operating. The sushi place takes up the other half of the building.

I'd like that building to be replaced, but the proposed height had a slim chance (at best) of being approved in the first place. I doubt Druh was the only person standing in the way of it getting built as envisioned. It would be great to have active fronts on both Kensington and 10th, no parking lot and a large amount of space added to the pedestrian realm on the corner. Get 3 people standing there waiting to cross 10th and it's too crowded.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1858  
Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:03 AM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I get the impression that there is something up with the Terrigno family.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gton-1.4127870
Isn't this the guy who said in full city council meeting "I know where you live" to someone from HSCA? And then Jeremy Sturgess resigned from the project immediately following the incident?
__________________
Arts!: Click to listen
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1859  
Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:54 PM
Blader Blader is online now
Calgary Martindale
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saskatoon-Toronto-Calgary
Posts: 725
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1860  
Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:49 PM
MalcolmTucker's Avatar
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,615
Not defending but this is so typical:"The Hillhurst-Sunnyside group and the restaurant had jointly commissioned a survey to elicit feedback on the Osteria tower proposal. After it came back with 75 per cent of respondents in favour, community members questioned the validity of the results."
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.