HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:22 AM
KennyPowers's Avatar
KennyPowers KennyPowers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Is Danny gonna have a concert site or is Paradise gonna be the new big place. Also any rumours on concerts this summer?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:55 AM
IronMan IronMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Any word on the new Costco?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:31 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Any word on the new Costco?
Not started, from what I'm told.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:20 AM
Arrakis Arrakis is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 926
There's nothing started up at Galway. I drove through there last week. The roads are roughly paved. I think there's one model home under construction nearby. The retail area is just a big flat cleared area with a cemetery across the street.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Any word on the new Costco?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:45 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
There's nothing started up at Galway. I drove through there last week. The roads are roughly paved. I think there's one model home under construction nearby. The retail area is just a big flat cleared area with a cemetery across the street.
Is it worth the drive from the east end to see Galway?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:36 PM
Arrakis Arrakis is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 926
I wouldn't make a special trip for it. There's only one main road so far that goes from the retail area near the water tanks to the industrial area. I wasn't actually out to the industrial area though so not sure what's on the go out there yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Is it worth the drive from the east end to see Galway?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:33 PM
Engibeer's Avatar
Engibeer Engibeer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 43
I'm blown away by the house pricing at Galway, although I probably shouldn't be surprised that it's overpriced... I mean that does seem to happen wherever Costco goes (must be a Newfoundland thing).

Was just in the market for a new home, waited around a couple extra months until some legitimate details came out from the various builders and promptly decided I could get significantly better bang for my buck anywhere else in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 11:36 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I'm blown away by the house pricing at Galway, although I probably shouldn't be surprised that it's overpriced... I mean that does seem to happen wherever Costco goes (must be a Newfoundland thing).

Was just in the market for a new home, waited around a couple extra months until some legitimate details came out from the various builders and promptly decided I could get significantly better bang for my buck anywhere else in the city.
I was really surprised too. Over $400,000 for an attached house, I believe 4 houses attached in total. I think close to $700,000 for a two-story. They look nice but those prices are out of line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:00 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I was really surprised too. Over $400,000 for an attached house, I believe 4 houses attached in total. I think close to $700,000 for a two-story. They look nice but those prices are out of line.
At those prices there'll be many empty lots in Galway for quite some time. Either that or Danny knows something that the rest of us don't....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:14 PM
Tocchet22 Tocchet22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
I'm hearing that permit process with City of St. John's is slowing everything down. Costco ready to go once approvals granted.

Also heard new Cineplex at Galway is in the works.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:57 AM
elizabethf1985 elizabethf1985 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. John's
Posts: 29
I heard a few days ago that apparently Costco isn't moving now?? It's staying in the east end? Someone told me they saw it on VOCM. Did anyone else see it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:55 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
I heard a few days ago that apparently Costco isn't moving now?? It's staying in the east end? Someone told me they saw it on VOCM. Did anyone else see it?
Untrue, though I doubt the new store will be ready for the anticipated move in the fall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:08 PM
Engibeer's Avatar
Engibeer Engibeer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 43
http://vocm.com/news/costco-move-del...anny-williams/

Appears Costco move still happening, pushed to beyond 2017. Not really much of a surprise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 4:13 PM
colinpeddle colinpeddle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 68
[Costco] Heard another rumor which kind of ties into a lot of the other rumors swirling since the announced relocation of Stavanger Costco to Galway. This new one states that Costco will maintain the current location at Stavanger and turn it into a Costco Business Center while still moving it's main retail to Galway as planned.

I knew these existed in the USA but not Canada... yet.

Here's the Wiki:

Quote:
Costco Business Centers are warehouses similar to regular Costco warehouses, and are open to all Costco members, regardless of membership type. Their merchandise, though, cater predominantly to enterprises, with a focus on small businesses. Business Centers do not carry most consumer items like clothing, jewelry, media, and tires, while carrying larger quantities and more options for the business products they do carry.[125] They do not offer most of the consumer-oriented services found at regular Costco warehouses, but some locations do have a food court or a gas station or both. Also unlike regular warehouses, Costco Business Centers have a Print & Copy Center which provides printing professional services. They have large parking spaces for trucks and are capable of delivering goods to businesses in bulk quantities. Finally, opening hours are shorter than regular warehouses (usually opening at 7 am on Mondays to Saturdays and closed on Sundays), while discounts and coupons for Business Centers are issued separately from regular warehouses.[citation needed]
Locations

As of August 2016, there are 15 Costco Business Centers in the United States, located in Orlando, Florida; Phoenix, Arizona; California (Commerce, Hawthorne, Hayward, San Diego, and Westminster); Denver, Colorado; Morrow, Georgia; Bedford Park, Illinois; Hackensack, New Jersey; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Washington (Lynnwood, and Fife).[126]

The first Costco Business Center in Canada and anywhere outside the US (spelled as "Costco Business Centre") will open in Scarborough, Ontario (part of Toronto) in spring 2017.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:53 PM
wardo44's Avatar
wardo44 wardo44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
[Costco] Heard another rumor which kind of ties into a lot of the other rumors swirling since the announced relocation of Stavanger Costco to Galway. This new one states that Costco will maintain the current location at Stavanger and turn it into a Costco Business Center while still moving it's main retail to Galway as planned.

I knew these existed in the USA but not Canada... yet.

Here's the Wiki:
The Business Centre in Scarborough opened a couple of months ago at 50 Thermos Dr. It was previously a Zellers & briefly a Target. It's website & offerings is here: http://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:03 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,054
Call me skeptical on that rumor as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:56 PM
Offshore1 Offshore1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NL
Posts: 84
Show home now open. Big market for 500K houses right for sure. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ning-1.4181572
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:08 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Show home now open. Big market for 500K houses right for sure. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ning-1.4181572
check this one out...$630,000.

https://twitter.com/GerriLynnMackey/...54449804378112
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:15 PM
Chew's Avatar
Chew Chew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Solid Aspenite construction is a big selling point!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:02 PM
Offshore1 Offshore1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NL
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Solid Aspenite construction is a big selling point!
500K-600K pressboard palaces.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.