HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:08 PM

Jefferson Park 16-story building was just APPROVED.

Fucking meeting lasted from 10-5.....

Had a lady storm out saying bullshit... bullshit...
And when the project was approved, one guy asked if there was a point in coming to the commission again, someone said no (I don't know who) and then he told the alderman to go to hell... and stormed out.

Last edited by BVictor1; May 18, 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:40 PM
Exhale solutions.

^Awesome... All of it.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:48 AM
Urbane observer

Well, there is no point in coming to Plan Commission. No one can remember the last time they failed to approve every last item on their agenda.

Democracy in action!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:08 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I noticed the Gap building on State Street that Georgetown Cos. purchased with plans to replace with a highrise is now vacant, but with a 'for lease' sign...
Damn!

Why'd they bother getting rid of The Gap, then? Grade A tenant!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:08 AM

Why would that project upset anyone? The lot is directly against a railroad and a highway.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:16 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, there is no point in coming to Plan Commission. No one can remember the last time they failed to approve every last item on their agenda.

Democracy in action!
I bet you that if we got rid of Aldermanic prerogative, there would be a bigger variety of results and more independence displayed by the Plan Commission. The Commission seems to be set up today as merely a rubber stamp, with the barrier of entry being whether or not Aldermen allow a proposal to be reviewed by the Commission.

How do I know this? Because every damn day in the city of Chicago, non-elected officials in City Hall known as Zoning reviewers and Zoning Supervisors look at hundreds of proposals, do their due diligence, and approve and reject proposals. And they reject a lot of them.

I sometimes don't agree with their conclusions, but damn it at least they try to be fair. They don't ask for campaign contributions or favors and they don't seek retribution or revenge. They don't thump their chests like gorillas. I would have them making all zoning decisions in a heartbeat over the current status quo of it being in the hands of our Aldermanic Thugocracy

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Democracy in action!
What projects can you name that should have been rejected?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Damn!

Why'd they bother getting rid of The Gap, then? Grade A tenant!
It's a bummer for sure. I was really looking forward to it as one of the few proposals for new residential use in the East Loop. There's the conversion of the Miller's Pub building, possibly a mixed-use conversion of the Big Red, and I imagine a residential use planned for the GSA buildings, but no other new construction proposals in the works that I know of. I don't know if there's been any movement with Pritzker Park either?

I want to see the more mixed-use nature of the East Loop continue to pick up steam and create a corridor of after-hours vibrancy that links Printers Row to River North and Lakeshore East. It's getting there slowly but surely, but the area from Congress to Washington still needs more.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:20 AM

^ Doesn't mean anything. They could be working on something but know it might take another year or two and find someone to be willing to lease out the space semi short term. That happened with 4 E Elm even - there was a wine shop in the previous building that signed on only a handful of months before it was demolished but they made a deal with them that they could have a retail space at 4 E Elm when complete

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Doesn't mean anything. They could be working on something but know it might take another year or two and find someone to be willing to lease out the space semi short term. That happened with 4 E Elm even - there was a wine shop in the previous building that signed on only a handful of months before it was demolished but they made a deal with them that they could have a retail space at 4 E Elm when complete
Yeah, that was my hope when I first saw the leasing sign. Good to know there's a precedent.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:04 AM
Chicago

Centrum Hubbard - 221 W Hubbard

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:05 AM
Chicago

3Eleven - 311 W Illinois

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:06 AM
Chicago

The Bentham - 146 W Erie

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:07 AM
Chicago

Marlowe - 169 W Huron

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think this sort of thing happens fairly often. For instance I think Dylan's Candy Bar was brought in with a fairly short lease, or maybe a yearly renewable lease so they could choose to terminate it when the redevelopment of the Tribune Tower gets going.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:19 PM

Just looked up the design of the Marlowe. I dont mind filing in unused space but for some reason it looks a little too "Miami-ish" to me. Anyone agree?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Just looked up the design of the Marlowe. I dont mind filing in unused space but for some reason it looks a little too "Miami-ish" to me. Anyone agree?
I like its design. Which is good, since I live across the street from it.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
In all honesty, the Blanc Chicago looks like the most Miami-ish project on Wells Street and it still looks like it fits the area pretty well. Speaking of which, wasn't this project supposed to start in the 1st quarter?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:20 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
In all honesty, the Blanc Chicago looks like the most Miami-ish project on Wells Street and it still looks like it fits the area pretty well. Speaking of which, wasn't this project supposed to start in the 1st quarter?
I thought there was at least supposed to be news about it by March. Does it even have units listed in MLS yet?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:33 PM
Living under the L Tracks

I'm not really bothered by the gap / old navy building hanging around for awhile. There's so many better candidates for redevelopment in the loop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations