HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:29 AM

Update on the proposed addition to the Clifton, from Tiboaz.com.

The expansion would increase the number of rooms to 29, and consist of 4 two story buildings, 2 single story buildings, additional parking, and a new pool and patio/courtyard area.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:08 PM

Great article about Downtown Tucson development in the most recent edition of Edible.

The There There

This quote irked me a little,

"People worry that Tucson will become Austin—flooded with tech money and transient workers, unaffordable to the artists and small business owners who made it such a vibrant place to begin with."

We should be so lucky

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:50 PM

The city's potential sale of 930 E. Broadway, the old Broadway Volvo dealership, is on the upcoming City Council agenda. With The Mark development across the street and the recent developments at the corner of Broadway and Euclid, this is a pretty lucrative lot.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
The city's potential sale of 930 E. Broadway, the old Broadway Volvo dealership, is on the upcoming City Council agenda. With The Mark development across the street and the recent developments at the corner of Broadway and Euclid, this is a pretty lucrative lot.
Are their other developments planned at Euclid and Broadway besides The Mark?

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Are their other developments planned at Euclid and Broadway besides The Mark?
Nothing planned. I was just referencing recent projects like Welcome Diner and the Greyhound terminal (not that that's a big draw). But, that infill mixed with the Broadway enhancements and the influx of people across the street make a lot that size pretty valuable.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Nothing planned. I was just referencing recent projects like Welcome Diner and the Greyhound terminal (not that that's a big draw). But, that infill mixed with the Broadway enhancements and the influx of people across the street make a lot that size pretty valuable.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I agree that with the student housing, Broadway widening, etc. the lot is a good grab. It is nice to see development spreading out. I would like to see the Streetcar head down Broadway to East someday and development like this could help that.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:09 PM

The Saint Augustine Diocese School at 415 S 6th Avenue in Tucson sold to an investment group comprised of Marcel Dabdoub and Ron Schwabe for $1.5 million ($95 PSF).

The buyers, major developers in Downtown Tucson, purchased the vacant property to rehab into 30 residential units with retail on the ground floor. The 15,736-square-foot building, built in 1948, will be renovated into two-thirds residential use, 18 loft units upstairs and one-third retail. The 1.37 infill acres is platted for four 4-plexes which will add an additional 16-units and a two-level parking structure on the large lot.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:20 PM

Kaneui's latest update to the Metro Tucson Development Projects page has some updated renderings of the Marist College and Pastoral Building replacement.

Last edited by crzyabe; May 19, 2017 at 4:27 PM. Reason: wrong URL

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
The Saint Augustine Diocese School at 415 S 6th Avenue in Tucson sold to an investment group comprised of Marcel Dabdoub and Ron Schwabe for $1.5 million ($95 PSF).

The buyers, major developers in Downtown Tucson, purchased the vacant property to rehab into 30 residential units with retail on the ground floor. The 15,736-square-foot building, built in 1948, will be renovated into two-thirds residential use, 18 loft units upstairs and one-third retail. The 1.37 infill acres is platted for four 4-plexes which will add an additional 16-units and a two-level parking structure on the large lot.
The article mentions that the retail is "inspired" by a Phoenix-based restaurant and bar owner. Wonder if that's Chris Bianco or someone new.

Also, Bud Foster reported that there'd be a tenant announcement for the Wig-O-Rama space in two weeks, but I wonder if that'll just be this Loft trial project.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:25 AM

Downtown historic preservation

With the inevitable arrival of chain restaurants and retailers eager to capitalize on the success of downtown's revitalization, part of what will maintain downtown's sense of place and attractiveness is the preservation and restoration of its historic and architecturally significant structures.

In that regard, the Catholic diocese is doing its part by committing substantial funds towards restoring and revitalizing its downtown properties. After a million dollar-plus renovation of the cathedral a few years ago, a new phase of major projects has begun around Cathedral Square, including restoration of the crumbling 1915 adobe Marist College (which after years of failed attempts to restore it, there was doubt it would survive the wrecking ball).

One of the first projects is the recent restoration of the small Our Lady's Chapel on Ochoa St. built in 1916, sandwiched between the Marist College building and the site of the recently demolished Parish Hall (where the new Diocesan Complex is under construction). Apparently, the chapel was abandoned as a place of worship many years ago, and was being used as a storage facility. However, the diocese decided it was worth restoring, with the results shown in the photos below.

From a forlorn state of disrepair.....

to this attractively renovated finish:

(photos: Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson, Jax Stampes)

http://www.constructionreporter.com/...or-Renovations

*NOTE: further improvements to the Ochoa St. streetscape will be made once construction of the Diocesan Complex and renovation of Marist College are finished in 2019.

Last edited by kaneui; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:00 AM

^^^ Wow! It looks amazing on the inside.

And glad to hear that there's still more to come on the outside!

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:11 PM

What's going up? More downtown projects and fast-food shops

...La Frontera is also building downtown at 20 E. Broadway where an office, housing and mental health service building will go up with an $8.4 million permit.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
With the inevitable arrival of chain restaurants and retailers eager to capitalize on the success of downtown's revitalization, part of what will maintain downtown's sense of place and attractiveness is the preservation and restoration of its historic and architecturally significant structures.

In that regard, the Catholic diocese is doing its part by committing substantial funds towards restoring and revitalizing its downtown properties. After a million dollar-plus renovation of the cathedral a few years ago, a new phase of major projects has begun around Cathedral Square, including restoration of the crumbling 1915 adobe Marist College (which after years of failed attempts to restore it, there was doubt it would survive the wrecking ball).

One of the first projects is the recent restoration of the small Our Lady's Chapel on Ochoa St. built in 1916, sandwiched between the Marist College building and the site of the recently demolished Parish Hall (where the new Diocesan Complex is under construction). Apparently, the chapel was abandoned as a place of worship many years ago, and was being used as a storage facility. However, the diocese decided it was worth restoring, with the results shown in the photos below.

From a forlorn state of disrepair.....

to this attractively renovated finish:

(photos: Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson, Jax Stampes)

http://www.constructionreporter.com/...or-Renovations

*NOTE: further improvements to the Ochoa St. streetscape will be made once construction of the Diocesan Complex and renovation of Marist College are finished in 2019.
Holy F. That looks great inside.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 7:11 PM

The Daily Star has new renderings of The Mark today.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/ar...hare&id=201408

Construction to begin this summer.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 11:47 PM

New site for Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges

Anyone know the status of housing construction? I noticed new roads have been built recently (but no houses...yet?).

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:33 PM

Steller: UA shouldn't be allowed to bypass rezoning for megadorm

Interesting case study here. With the little we know, I've gone back and forth on my opinion. At first glance, it looks a little dirty, maybe clever, for the UofA and developer to bypass the rezoning process and over-step the UofA planning boundary. I understand that concern.

But then I read this article, which made me annoyed...megadorm? Come on, its a dorm, not a megadorm. A megadorm would be a 20-something story building, or even one of those 12-14 story structures that have been built in Main Gate. Then, they get the quote from a property-owner who is part of the neighborhood association...who rents out a duplex across the street. That made me laugh. I also thought of the Mark...not that bad of a re-design, but the tiered setbacks that they put on the building really toyed with the aesthetics of the building...all to appease the viewshed off of Broadway...which by the layout looks like already has a huge street setback away from the neighborhood across the street.

Procedural-wise, may not be the best way to go...but the way Tucson NAs behave, who can blame them?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:

Interesting case study here. With the little we know, I've gone back and forth on my opinion. At first glance, it looks a little dirty, maybe clever, for the UofA and developer to bypass the rezoning process and over-step the UofA planning boundary. I understand that concern.

But then I read this article, which made me annoyed...megadorm? Come on, its a dorm, not a megadorm. A megadorm would be a 20-something story building, or even one of those 12-14 story structures that have been built in Main Gate. Then, they get the quote from a property-owner who is part of the neighborhood association...who rents out a duplex across the street. That made me laugh. I also thought of the Mark...not that bad of a re-design, but the tiered setbacks that they put on the building really toyed with the aesthetics of the building...all to appease the viewshed off of Broadway...which by the layout looks like already has a huge street setback away from the neighborhood across the street.

Procedural-wise, may not be the best way to go...but the way Tucson NAs behave, who can blame them?
I feel the same. That quote made me lose all sympathy for the NIMBYs however.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:45 PM

Some tentative floor plans are available on PRO for Hub 3. Looks like it will be four floors with commercial space on the first floor and an underground parking level. Total height is about 49 feet. Keep in mind that there's a step-down for this lot in the overlay district. I'm not sure if 49 feet is the maximum permitted there, but the building wasn't going to be huge no matter what. The fact that it'll be mixed use is a big plus.

In other campus area news, the Burger King in the Student is being replaced by a Steak 'n Shake this summer!

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Anything that would by-pass NIMBY's is good to me

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:38 PM

Anyone wonder how Steve K can even vote? How does he not recuse himself? He's an employee of the U of A! To top it off, he votes against his employer!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest