HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:55 PM

Also construction fencing has gone up at Centre Street and 16th ave. Does anyone know what's going up there?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:29 PM

A few updates at SRC for these projects.

Banff Trail Student Residence tower
Marda
Ventus
The Royal
Avli
South Bank

http://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/buildings.419/

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Also construction fencing has gone up at Centre Street and 16th ave. Does anyone know what's going up there?
Someone had mentioned before that there was no development permit, so for now probably nothing. Maybe some utility work.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:19 PM

Good news about South Bank. Marda looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
A few updates at SRC for these projects.

Banff Trail Student Residence tower
Marda
Ventus
The Royal
Avli
South Bank

http://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/buildings.419/

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:00 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
Houses can also have problems too, yes that's true, but the problem with condos is that one big problem of the building affects everybody. Like I said in my previous post, if you own your four walls you on the control of the situation.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time grasping this concept.
For one, your concept is naive. (like suburbia) Shoddy construction is universal. Don't think just because you own a SFH that you have complete control when and where you do the repairs. A city bylaw officer can drop by and slap a work order on your house. All it takes for him to show up is a phone call from a nosy neighbour.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
For one, your concept is naive. (like suburbia) Shoddy construction is universal. Don't think just because you own a SFH that you have complete control when and where you do the repairs. A city bylaw officer can drop by and slap a work order on your house. All it takes for him to show up is a phone call from a nosy neighbour.
Whipper Snapper is correct philosophically, but in real terms, the risks are way less with a home because you can't be stuck paying for things that someone else decides on that are not resulting from a work order from a bylaw officer. If your board says, we must re-pave because the consultant said (who is also the one who will do the paving for a charge 250% what it should be) you must pay. Risks in condos are also higher because of the nature of many condo structures. LED lights, glass wall panels that leak / fall off, elevators that are brutally expensive, yada yada. If you have these things in your personal home, you will also have risks associated with them failing - but of course if you house's LED lights fail, you can decide when and if to replace. With a condo I've also seen a scenario where stucco was spoiling in one area and the owner around the damaged part highlighted to the board. Board refused to do anything till damage had become worse and cost way, way more. Horrible scenarios with condos. Feel bad for those folks dealing with the $50K per unit assessment last month. Really a norm I suppose.

Last edited by suburbia; May 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:00 PM

At what point will all you agree to disagree and move the hell on?!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:19 PM
Reach for the heavens

One of the things that always bothered me about the whole concept of condos, is the lack of control. So many of these new condos have amenity spaces, which is all good and dandy for those that use them, but in the end it's a liability. You live in a condo building with a gym and a swimming pool, an usually it's only a handful of people who use them (usually the condo board members), but everyone must pay when the swimming pool needs an overhaul, etc... I'm fine with condos as a townhouse or row-home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Whipper Snapper is correct philosophically, but in real terms, the risks are way less with a home because you can't be stuck paying for things that someone else decides on that are not resulting from a work order from a bylaw officer. If your board says, we must re-pave because the consultant said (who is also the one who will do the paving for a charge 250% what it should be) you must pay. Risks in condos are also higher because of the nature of many condo structures. LED lights, glass wall panels that leak / fall off, elevators that are brutally expensive, yada yada. If you have these things in your personal home, you will also have risks associated with them failing - but of course if you house's LED lights fail, you can decide when and if to replace. With a condo I've also seen a scenario where stucco was spoiling in one area and the owner around the damaged part highlighted to the board. Board refused to do anything till damage had become worse and cost way, way more. Horrible scenarios with condos. Feel bad for those folks dealing with the $50K per unit assessment last month. Really a norm I suppose.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:17 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. You don't have complete control of one but, you're able to share the costs. Of course, you knowingly or ignorantly have to put a negative spin on condo living. Elevators are not brutally expensive and 50K assessments are not the norm. 50K, 100K, 150K assessment are not exclusive to condos either. Once again, your reasoning is a family has the option to defer repairs by vacating their home and rent an apartment. Does that really seem practical to you?

Condos in most places are heavily regulated. The boards can no longer do whatever they want. Management is usually turned over to a professional management company. It's by far the most expensive costs in any budget but, it's piece of mind that the reserve is being properly built and spent.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
One of the things that always bothered me about the whole concept of condos, is the lack of control. So many of these new condos have amenity spaces, which is all good and dandy for those that use them, but in the end it's a liability. You live in a condo building with a gym and a swimming pool, an usually it's only a handful of people who use them (usually the condo board members), but everyone must pay when the swimming pool needs an overhaul, etc... I'm fine with condos as a townhouse or row-home.
Absolutely agree. You completely lose control.

Here's an example of what happens then ... and it isn't "condo peace of mind":

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rity-1.4116032
Quote:
Condo owners [] on the hook for almost $100,000 in increased costs after the board they elected signed an energy contract that appears to benefit a board member's associate.
http://edmontonjournal.com/life/home...iate-contracts
Quote:
Generally, the board is entrusted to make decisions with respect to contractors. [] As an owner, you are not generally entitled to see the various quote amounts, as that would be information that would be discussed at the board level.

Last edited by suburbia; May 20, 2017 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ezra as of yesterday evening:

Wow Ezra looks sweet! Thanks for the update. It would be a hard decision for me whether to be on the Riley Park side or have the city view.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. You don't have complete control of one but, you're able to share the costs. Of course, you knowingly or ignorantly have to put a negative spin on condo living. Elevators are not brutally expensive and 50K assessments are not the norm. 50K, 100K, 150K assessment are not exclusive to condos either. Once again, your reasoning is a family has the option to defer repairs by vacating their home and rent an apartment. Does that really seem practical to you?

Condos in most places are heavily regulated. The boards can no longer do whatever they want. Management is usually turned over to a professional management company. It's by far the most expensive costs in any budget but, it's piece of mind that the reserve is being properly built and spent.
The biggest plus to me of condo living is the opportunity cost. If you don't mind micro managing trades, coordinating getting things fixed, dedicating your time to lawn maintenance, home maintenance, managing snow removal, and so on - owning a home is great.

In reality, you spend a disproportionate amount of your time dealing with small issues. And while no condo board is perfect, it is at least a consensus of mostly rational adults attempting to make the best decision with the best possible information. On the flip side, I shudder to think about the mess of duct tape and patch work being done by amateur home owners all over the city who "have control over their deferred maintenance" and end up costing themselves 5 to 6 figure liabilities as a result. News flash, those incidents never make the news, because of some combination of them happening literally all the time, and home owners being too embarrassed to talk about it as it will significantly devalue their homes.

I've lived in condos for over 20 years, and I have never received more than a 4 figure special assessment. On the flip side, I know many home owners who have talked to me over the years about 4 to 5 figure "unforeseen necessary renovations" they have had to do, some people multiple times, and in several cases, multiple times per year.

The time component is invaluable though. All that time I'm spending not dealing with micromanaging home maintenance, and micromanaging trades people fixing every little thing, and keeping a spreadsheet of deferred maintenance - I've used that time to focus on my own businesses, enjoy my life, plan what I do with my time, and so on. In reality, I have probably effectively earned enough with the freedom that comes from using that time such that even multiple 5 figure special assessments would still leave me very far ahead on the cost benefit curve.

There are pros and cons to everything, and you have to understand what you are getting into with both home ownership and condo ownership. Outside of that, there really isn't much else to say, except that both styles of living are certainly not for everyone.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
The biggest plus to me of condo living is the opportunity cost. If you don't mind micro managing trades, coordinating getting things fixed, dedicating your time to lawn maintenance, home maintenance, managing snow removal, and so on - owning a home is great.

In reality, you spend a disproportionate amount of your time dealing with small issues. And while no condo board is perfect, it is at least a consensus of mostly rational adults attempting to make the best decision with the best possible information. On the flip side, I shudder to think about the mess of duct tape and patch work being done by amateur home owners all over the city who "have control over their deferred maintenance" and end up costing themselves 5 to 6 figure liabilities as a result. News flash, those incidents never make the news, because of some combination of them happening literally all the time, and home owners being too embarrassed to talk about it as it will significantly devalue their homes.

I've lived in condos for over 20 years, and I have never received more than a 4 figure special assessment. On the flip side, I know many home owners who have talked to me over the years about 4 to 5 figure "unforeseen necessary renovations" they have had to do, some people multiple times, and in several cases, multiple times per year.

The time component is invaluable though. All that time I'm spending not dealing with micromanaging home maintenance, and micromanaging trades people fixing every little thing, and keeping a spreadsheet of deferred maintenance - I've used that time to focus on my own businesses, enjoy my life, plan what I do with my time, and so on. In reality, I have probably effectively earned enough with the freedom that comes from using that time such that even multiple 5 figure special assessments would still leave me very far ahead on the cost benefit curve.

There are pros and cons to everything, and you have to understand what you are getting into with both home ownership and condo ownership. Outside of that, there really isn't much else to say, except that both styles of living are certainly not for everyone.
Well said. most people don't know how to think like that and its refreshing to see!

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 3:20 PM
Moran supreme

Condo vs SFH vs whatever - each has their pros and cons and often it really depends on your lifestyle, needs and wants. I like doing maintenance on my own vehicles up to and including things such as replacing water pumps, brakes, sway bar links, etc. I like puttering around in my garage building things out of wood and such and also have a need for a space large enough to store the tools of my trade (cabinet and finish carpentry - table saw, mitre saw, vacuums, etc). I also like puttering in the yard and growing some of my own food - currently have rhubarb, Nanking cherry, Saskatoon, horseradish, grapes and annual veggies and fruits as well.

Almost none of this could be accommodated easily in a condo or even a duplex or infill - this requires some space and space that can keep the noise and dust out of our living space. A garden that provides what mine can - pretty much impossible in a condo. Now that's not to say a condo might not be in our future but we've been in our mid-50's SFH for almost 21 years and I can easily see us being here for another 20 years.

I enjoy cutting the lawn, trimming my bushes and trees, shovelling the sidewalk and doing home maintenance up to and including replacing my roof, water heater, tearing out and completely rebuilding a bathroom - yeah, that's not for everyone but one shouldn't knock those who don't mind doing such.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Condo vs SFH vs whatever - each has their pros and cons and often it really depends on your lifestyle, needs and wants. I like doing maintenance on my own vehicles up to and including things such as replacing water pumps, brakes, sway bar links, etc. I like puttering around in my garage building things out of wood and such and also have a need for a space large enough to store the tools of my trade (cabinet and finish carpentry - table saw, mitre saw, vacuums, etc). I also like puttering in the yard and growing some of my own food - currently have rhubarb, Nanking cherry, Saskatoon, horseradish, grapes and annual veggies and fruits as well.

Almost none of this could be accommodated easily in a condo or even a duplex or infill - this requires some space and space that can keep the noise and dust out of our living space. A garden that provides what mine can - pretty much impossible in a condo. Now that's not to say a condo might not be in our future but we've been in our mid-50's SFH for almost 21 years and I can easily see us being here for another 20 years.

I enjoy cutting the lawn, trimming my bushes and trees, shovelling the sidewalk and doing home maintenance up to and including replacing my roof, water heater, tearing out and completely rebuilding a bathroom - yeah, that's not for everyone but one shouldn't knock those who don't mind doing such.
I agree a lot of people enjoy working on their homes and yards, stuff you can't do in a condo. This morning I've been sitting on our deck, sun is shining, birds chirping, trees in flower, it's pretty darn nice!

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 3:56 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I agree a lot of people enjoy working on their homes and yards, stuff you can't do in a condo. This morning I've been sitting on our deck, sun is shining, birds chirping, trees in flower, it's pretty darn nice!
You could be commenting on your condo, eh.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Absolutely. Great for raising kids that are grounded in the world.

Interestingly, many condo owners often boast about paying for getting exercise. LOL!

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Not really, my previous condo experiences had decks just large enough for 2 lawn chairs, a habachi and a plant, too high up for trees, too much traffic noise, too windy. Now I have 300 sq ft elevated deck, screen room, plants, big gas grill, patio furniture, amid the trees (could use one more tree).

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, many condo owners often boast about paying for getting exercise. LOL!
I would argue they are boasting about having the ability to exercise when they want, on the schedule they want, targeting the workout routines they want to do, according to their own plans and schedule and goals. In other words, boasting about freedom that comes from schedules unfettered by dealing with other home ownership tasks.

In the same manner, home owners can boast about having their own private garages, growing lavish gardens, and renovating their homes in the manner they want, unfettered from the accountability that comes from operating within the context of a condo.

Again, no "right" answers.

Quote:
Absolutely. Great for raising kids that are grounded in the world.
A very fitting analogy regarding comparing kids to home ownership. I've seen individuals also be vehemently against kids. Some people don't understand why people would sacrifice their time, money, and effort. On the flip side, those who have kids generally couldn't imagine their life without them and see the trade offs as more than worth it.

The best thing a parent can impart to their child is the sense that there is no "one true way" to live your life, and have an understanding and empathy towards those who make different choices than you. Unfortunately, some parents are unable to confer such wisdom to their children, as they themselves have not learned these lessons.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
except with a condo those things wouldn't really be "yours".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates