HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
Whatever happened to the virgin hotel construction? Newspaper article in February said that it would begin in April.
My contact says the project will be starting soon . Will be phased approvals like most recent projects ... meaning the foundation plan will be approved first ... which allows them to get started much quicker than a full review ...

Also 1630 canal has been at a standstill while the new investor ( Joe jaeger ) takes over from a previous one ... kind of complicated since Woodward construction is all
Over the site and Joe tends to use McDonnell ... anyways good news is they should be starting up again real soon

Going to find out about the canopy Hilton as well

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
My contact says the project will be starting soon . Will be phased approvals like most recent projects ... meaning the foundation plan will be approved first ... which allows them to get started much quicker than a full review ...

Also 1630 canal has been at a standstill while the new investor ( Joe jaeger ) takes over from a previous one ... kind of complicated since Woodward construction is all
Over the site and Joe tends to use McDonnell ... anyways good news is they should be starting up again real soon

Well damn, while your at it...find out about 1030 Canal! LOL

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Well damn, while your at it...find out about 1030 Canal! LOL
thats an enigma wrapped in a mystery

Some pictures taken past week:

The Jung:

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:07 PM
-

$35 Million “Co-Living” Development Coming to Downtown New Orleans

http://canalstreetbeat.com/35-millio...n-new-orleans/

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:12 PM
-

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:01 PM
-

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:03 PM
-

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:08 PM
-

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:54 AM

That map says the Ace Hotel is planning an expansion across the street. But with what though?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
That map says the Ace Hotel is planning an expansion across the street. But with what though?
Not sure ... at the time they said another hotel brand . But it's possible it could just be an expanded ace too

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:15 PM
-

City of New Orleans Outlines Future Plans for Statues and Former Statue Locations Post-Removal

WHERE THE MONUMENTS ARE GOING

The City has been in the process of determining a more appropriate place to display the statues post-removal, such as a museum or other site, where they can be placed in their proper historical context from a dark period of American history. The statues are in the process of being crated and are being stored in City-owned warehouses or secure facilities.

Now, as offers to take individual monuments have come in from both public and private institutions, the City has decided that a competitive RFP process will facilitate the open and transparent selection of where they ultimately go and how they can be presented as educational tools with historical context.

Only nonprofit and governmental entities will be eligible to enter into a cooperative endeavor agreement to host the statues. The RFP process will be used for the Battle of Liberty Place statue, the Jefferson Davis statue, and the Robert E. Lee statue.

Proposals will be able to be submitted for statues individually or as a group. All proposals must state how they will place the statues in context, both in terms of why they were first erected and why the City chose to remove them in 2015.

The statues will not be able to be displayed outdoors on public property in Orleans Parish.

The RFP is expected to be released in the coming weeks, with proposals due this summer. A public selection committee made up of City officials will make a recommendation for entities to receive and display the statues, with approval by the City Council.

Due to the complexity of the legal issues surrounding the property on which the PGT Beauregard monument was situated, the City and the City Park Improvement Association will continue to have good-faith discussions regarding that property; the statue will be considered separately based on the result of those discussions.

WHAT IS GOING IN THEIR PLACE

The area that formerly housed the Jefferson Davis statue on Jefferson Davis Parkway will be replaced by an American flag. The area that formerly housed the Battle of Liberty Place monument will remain as is.

The City Park Improvement Association will also take a leading role in determining what replaces the Beauregard monument at the entrance to City Park, in partnership with the City and other civic groups. The remaining part of the base will be removed in due course.

As previously detailed, the City plans to leave the column that houses the Robert E. Lee statue intact. The City will also be undertaking public infrastructure improvements to include a water feature at the circle. The circle will be able to incorporate public art. The City has begun the process to design the public infrastructure improvements to be ready for the public art.

The goal is to complete the sites during the City’s tricentennial year in 2018.

http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...tatue-removal/

I only posted the parts of press release indicating future developments of these parcels.. i know we all have our personal opinions on this so Im just going to focus on the future development aspects of the statue locations. seems like a good plan that will not be controversial at all going forward.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:27 PM
-

618 Magazine St·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Permit #17-17151-RCZD ·Ref Code: A6SQQ0
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
Gibbs Residential, LLC.
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/16/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Sidewalk closure for demolition and new construction of a new parking structure, for 84 days, beginning 05/22/2017 and ending 08/14/2017.

1824 Sophie Wright Pl ·Renovation (Structural) · Permit #16-01802-RNVS ·Ref Code: DPES5A
Download (52) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Natan Diacon-Furtado
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
1/19/2016
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation and additions to existing building as 2 dwelling units and an office

Picayune Social House Swings Open

https://nola.eater.com/2017/5/17/156...w-orleans-nola

A New Peruvian Spot Will Bestow Pisco and Ceviche Upon Magazine Street Soon
Tito Ceviche and Pisco will open in early August

https://nola.eater.com/2017/5/18/156...w-orleans-nola

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
City of New Orleans Outlines Future Plans for Statues and Former Statue Locations Post-Removal

WHERE THE MONUMENTS ARE GOING

The City has been in the process of determining a more appropriate place to display the statues post-removal, such as a museum or other site, where they can be placed in their proper historical context from a dark period of American history. The statues are in the process of being crated and are being stored in City-owned warehouses or secure facilities.

Now, as offers to take individual monuments have come in from both public and private institutions, the City has decided that a competitive RFP process will facilitate the open and transparent selection of where they ultimately go and how they can be presented as educational tools with historical context.

Only nonprofit and governmental entities will be eligible to enter into a cooperative endeavor agreement to host the statues. The RFP process will be used for the Battle of Liberty Place statue, the Jefferson Davis statue, and the Robert E. Lee statue.

Proposals will be able to be submitted for statues individually or as a group. All proposals must state how they will place the statues in context, both in terms of why they were first erected and why the City chose to remove them in 2015.

The statues will not be able to be displayed outdoors on public property in Orleans Parish.

The RFP is expected to be released in the coming weeks, with proposals due this summer. A public selection committee made up of City officials will make a recommendation for entities to receive and display the statues, with approval by the City Council.

Due to the complexity of the legal issues surrounding the property on which the PGT Beauregard monument was situated, the City and the City Park Improvement Association will continue to have good-faith discussions regarding that property; the statue will be considered separately based on the result of those discussions.

WHAT IS GOING IN THEIR PLACE

The area that formerly housed the Jefferson Davis statue on Jefferson Davis Parkway will be replaced by an American flag. The area that formerly housed the Battle of Liberty Place monument will remain as is.

The City Park Improvement Association will also take a leading role in determining what replaces the Beauregard monument at the entrance to City Park, in partnership with the City and other civic groups. The remaining part of the base will be removed in due course.

As previously detailed, the City plans to leave the column that houses the Robert E. Lee statue intact. The City will also be undertaking public infrastructure improvements to include a water feature at the circle. The circle will be able to incorporate public art. The City has begun the process to design the public infrastructure improvements to be ready for the public art.

The goal is to complete the sites during the City’s tricentennial year in 2018.

http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...tatue-removal/

I only posted the parts of press release indicating future developments of these parcels.. i know we all have our personal opinions on this so Im just going to focus on the future development aspects of the statue locations. seems like a good plan that will not be controversial at all going forward.
I saw this and was intrigued by the "water feature" at Lee Circle. That's going to be interesting come Mardi Gras time....

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:16 PM
-

400 Lafayette St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 1S7AP8
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Craig Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/16/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Exterior renovations to existing building

adding new restaurant on first floor

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:28 PM
TL;DR

The monument sites are not just quiet corners of the city, they are the key crossroads that we all live, work, and play around. If the statues are to be replaced, it is essential that the city do this properly and create new monuments that capture the values and aspirations of the city.

Cheezy colorful Blue Dog statues and cubist saxophones, what usually passes for public art in New Orleans, won't cut it this time. I've always been a big fan of the Dublin Spire as a very well-done, modern civic monument... The Astoria Column is also a good source of inspiration.

We'll also need to have a debate about which civic fathers are worth honoring. Slavery was a fact of life for more than half of the city's history, and many of the most influential figures in that history owned slaves, or did other unfortunate things. It's the same thing as Washington, Jefferson etc. We can honor their vision and their contributions without glorifying their slaveholding status. Beauregard out of all the four removed monuments was truly a founding father of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I saw this and was intrigued by the "water feature" at Lee Circle. That's going to be interesting come Mardi Gras time....
I'm hoping the circle can be redesigned with Carnival in mind, so it doesn't have to turn into a thicket of fences every year. Something durable and low-maintenance that can stand up to the abuse of crowds.

Maybe a zero-depth fountain (like Chicago's Crown Fountain) that just turns into a plaza when you shut the water off...

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The monument sites are not just quiet corners of the city, they are the key crossroads that we all live, work, and play around. If the statues are to be replaced, it is essential that the city do this properly and create new monuments that capture the values and aspirations of the city.

Cheezy colorful Blue Dog statues and cubist saxophones, what usually passes for public art in New Orleans, won't cut it this time. I've always been a big fan of the Dublin Spire as a very well-done, modern civic monument... The Astoria Column is also a good source of inspiration.

We'll also need to have a debate about which civic fathers are worth honoring. Slavery was a fact of life for more than half of the city's history, and many of the most influential figures in that history owned slaves, or did other unfortunate things. It's the same thing as Washington, Jefferson etc. We can honor their vision and their contributions without glorifying their slaveholding status. Beauregard out of all the four removed monuments was truly a founding father of the city.

I'm hoping the circle can be redesigned with Carnival in mind, so it doesn't have to turn into a thicket of fences every year. Something durable and low-maintenance that can stand up to the abuse of crowds.

Maybe a zero-depth fountain (like Chicago's Crown Fountain) that just turns into a plaza when you shut the water off...
Im not sure we need to honor any civic people... just keep it about ideas and concepts.

Something like this but on a bigger scale

Last edited by tennis1400; May 19, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:32 PM

I don't like the idea of the column by itself, even though it's a piece of art on its own. I think something needs to go up there, but maybe that's because we are used to that. I agree with Tennis, that it doesn't need to be a figure. Besides, who would it be? We already have statues of the most famous/influential New Orleanians (Bienville, Armstrong, Jackson etc.).

Would an eternal flame on top the column be cheesy? I kind of like the idea. It could be representative of Liberty's torch and can be said to represent equality for all, the eternal nature of New Orleans, that we can't be put out, be it hurricane, war, yada yada.

I agree with ardeclia about the importance of Beauregard, but I am thinking that a new statue of him in civilian wear and that focuses on his post-war contributions (invention of system for system of cable-powered streetcars, efforts for voting rights and school integration, etc.) would be too dangerous/opening of old wounds.

As long as these spaces aren't filled with Veterans Blvd. (or Poydras St.) type artwork I'll be ok with it! ha

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:

"Liked" Comment

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
I don't like the idea of the column by itself, even though it's a piece of art on its own. I think something needs to go up there, but maybe that's because we are used to that. I agree with Tennis, that it doesn't need to be a figure. Besides, who would it be? We already have statues of the most famous/influential New Orleanians (Bienville, Armstrong, Jackson etc.).

Would an eternal flame on top the column be cheesy? I kind of like the idea. It could be representative of Liberty's torch and can be said to represent equality for all, the eternal nature of New Orleans, that we can't be put out, be it hurricane, war, yada yada.
Am I the only one who things is a statue of Andrew Higgins is not only appropriate but a really good idea? He's the man who Eisenhower credits for winning WWII, and the street named for him begins there. And it's right by the WWII museum. And he doesn't have any negative baggage. And he actually lived in New Orleans. It's actually weird there isn't a statue of him anywhere.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Am I the only one who things is a statue of Andrew Higgins is not only appropriate but a really good idea? He's the man who Eisenhower credits for winning WWII, and the street named for him begins there. And it's right by the WWII museum. And he doesn't have any negative baggage. And he actually lived in New Orleans. It's actually weird there isn't a statue of him anywhere.
I think we have a winner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations