HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6461  
Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:17 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Another mid-rise proposal. this is all we can do for now, no high-rise all mid-rises.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...te-near-r.html
This is a recycled proposal from 11 years ago. The designs the same for the
same block on S Street. It’s more of a low-rise sense it’s below 100 feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6462  
Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:06 PM
Schmoe's Avatar
Schmoe Schmoe is offline
NIMBY Hater
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Another mid-rise proposal. this is all we can do for now, no high-rise all mid-rises.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...te-near-r.html
I've long since put high-rise greed aside. These days I am for anything that removes blight and adds residences to downtown/midtown.
__________________
Be TRUE to YOU
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6463  
Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:21 PM
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 532
Looks like Yamanee will be delayed days after the developer said the project would break ground this year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...-midtowns.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6464  
Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:49 PM
snfenoc's Avatar
snfenoc snfenoc is offline
Registered Sex Offender
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steve in East Sac
Posts: 922
It's a nice looking proposal.

According to the article, the developer has yet to obtain financing. They hope to get some cap-and-trade dollars to help fill the gaps. However, this money is usually awarded to projects in coastal California cities.

This is yet another project I'll add to my "I'll Believe it When I See it" List.
__________________
Sincerely,
Steve in East Sac
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6465  
Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:34 PM
Justbuildit Justbuildit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
It's a nice looking proposal.

According to the article, the developer has yet to obtain financing. They hope to get some cap-and-trade dollars to help fill the gaps. However, this money is usually awarded to projects in coastal California cities.

This is yet another project I'll add to my "I'll Believe it When I See it" List.
Lol. Imagine what Sacramento's skyline would look like if there was no San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and all the focus was on the Central Valley.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Jun 1, 2017 at 6:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6466  
Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:48 PM
CAGeoNerd CAGeoNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 233
Sacramento Is California's Newest Real-Estate Hot Spot

Well, that's interesting. Someone should tell some developers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6467  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:16 PM
SacTownAndy's Avatar
SacTownAndy SacTownAndy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Bridge District, West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,097
Article in the Bee today talking about the new state office tower at 7th & O. Sounds like they're looking into the option of building around the Heilbron House instead of moving it. Reminds me of that one highrise in Denver that was built around an old church.

Preliminary design is "20 stories and 300 feet tall".

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article154048834.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6468  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 8:20 PM
CastleScott CastleScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Ca/formerly CastleRock Co
Posts: 499
Quote:
Reminds me of that one highrise in Denver that was built around an old church.
Yeah that's the 1999 Broadway building 43 stories and about 550ft completed in 1985 around the Holy Ghost Church.

This sounds like a nice project of the state..

Oh btw I noticed the other day that the Sac city council ok'ed a proposal to expand/renovate the convention center which could lead to some future new downtown hotel rooms.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6469  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 10:00 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 4,913
Yikes, the state has a miserable track record when it comes to designing anything
downtown. Does the BOE tower on N Street ring a bell? Its ugly and it makes people
sick, and the East End Complex is hardly something to be proud of.

When the state builds, they don’t need approval from anyone in Sacramento. Sure, they
might hold a few meeting with residents and ask for the cities opinion, but it’s all a
show and they will build whatever they want.

How many blocks south of Capitol Mall are surface parking lots owned by the state?
Quite a few. They were all neighborhoods at one time and then in 1950’s they were
demolished by the state and have sit empty ever since. Now the state picks a block
that has one historic house built in 1881 for possible demolition? It’s unlikely but it’s
being considered.

I expect nothing more than a mediocre building. It will be big filling up the entire block
and put a few cranes in the air, but the design will suck just like all the other times the
state has crapped out buildings downtown.

Last edited by innov8; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6470  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:52 AM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,370
Check out the EIR for the building: http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/ceqa.htm . It's worth a read--if you want to skip the boring stuff, look at Chapters 2 and 3, the executive summary and project description.

Currently, the plan is to leave the Heilbron mansion in place, restore it, and make it into the centerpiece of a public plaza for the new building. The cry to save the mansion was huge, and included both city and state electeds. City officials might not make much to the state, but Assembly/Senate members do, and they stood up to this. I'm not expecting great artistry from the state for this building, but it will be nice to see something besides a parking lot there, with the mansion as its centerpiece. The building has been a restaurant, a bank, and an art gallery--who knows what else it could be in this new plan?

Sure, the BOE building was terrible, but the 1980s were not a good time for architecture.

A surprising number of those 1960s parking lots (1950s was when the City knocked down the neighborhood on Capitol Avenue west of 7th, the state knocked down the stuff south of the Capitol a decade later) have turned into other things--CADA has built more than a thousand new units of housing, in addition to office properties, and has more plans for some of those parking lots in the near future. In fact, they recently acquired their first new property in a long time, behind Safeway on 18th, and CFY just submitted their plans to the city to build a midrise building with more than 150 apartments including 40% affordable housing units.
__________________
"Old ideas can sometimes use new buildings. New ideas must use old buildings."--Jane Jacobs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6471  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:53 PM
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
San Luis Obispo County
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Check out the EIR for the building: http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/ceqa.htm . It's worth a read--if you want to skip the boring stuff, look at Chapters 2 and 3, the executive summary and project description.

Currently, the plan is to leave the Heilbron mansion in place, restore it, and make it into the centerpiece of a public plaza for the new building. The cry to save the mansion was huge, and included both city and state electeds. City officials might not make much to the state, but Assembly/Senate members do, and they stood up to this. I'm not expecting great artistry from the state for this building, but it will be nice to see something besides a parking lot there, with the mansion as its centerpiece. The building has been a restaurant, a bank, and an art gallery--who knows what else it could be in this new plan?

Sure, the BOE building was terrible, but the 1980s were not a good time for architecture.

A surprising number of those 1960s parking lots (1950s was when the City knocked down the neighborhood on Capitol Avenue west of 7th, the state knocked down the stuff south of the Capitol a decade later) have turned into other things--CADA has built more than a thousand new units of housing, in addition to office properties, and has more plans for some of those parking lots in the near future. In fact, they recently acquired their first new property in a long time, behind Safeway on 18th, and CFY just submitted their plans to the city to build a midrise building with more than 150 apartments including 40% affordable housing units.

Thanks for the link. I'm glad they're preserving the Heilbron house because it's really a lense into Sacramento's history. I remember when it was the Galleria Posada.

I agree with you about the state designs of the past especially the 80s and the aweful East End project in the early 2000s. I'm hopeful the state will at least give Sacramento a clean project and not some menacing monstrosity clad in dark windows (again) that's another dead zone. It will be interesting to see the finished project in relation to the Heilbron house.
__________________
Olim: Sacramento, Karlsruhe, San Antonio, Chicago, Arroyo Grande
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6472  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:49 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Top Retributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Golden Capitol
Posts: 2,023
I'm not a fan of historic homes and buildings completely isolated from their original context. I would much prefer they move it to another location. I really don't want to see another SOB built in the O Street corridor anyway. Would much prefer housing.
__________________
“Skyscrapers! Unhealthy ugly giants! To live and work as close as to the land is a blessing! Remember, you are not a cloud! Come down and live on the ground!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.