HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:16 PM
southsideatx04's Avatar
southsideatx04 southsideatx04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I agree... But, there's another thing we're forgetting here. This whole "second downtown" concept pertains to the entire Gateway/N. Burnet planning area; in which The Domain project makes up slightly less than 10% of the total area. It seems to me that some forumers are viewing The Domain as Austin's "second downtown." Which is not the case.

Furthermore, the initial rezoning of The Domain’s phase II has yet to be finalized; let alone the remaining 2,000 acres in the planning area. At the outset, The Domain is going to be limiting the height of its buildings to 308’. However, in the years to come, a taller building could come along in either The Domain or in another section of the planning area.
Your are right Goldenboot plus I don't like the term 2nd downtown. I don't think it makes much sense to call a place a 2nd downtown a city should only have one downtown, call it uptown or mid-town. The soon-to-be vacant Concordia area what about that. Screw the domain concentrate the growth in the the public area not private companies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:31 PM
TDoss's Avatar
TDoss TDoss is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
Your are right Goldenboot plus I don't like the term 2nd downtown. I don't think it makes much sense to call a place a 2nd downtown a city should only have one downtown, call it uptown or mid-town. The soon-to-be vacant Concordia area what about that. Screw the domain concentrate the growth in the the public area not private companies.
This whole thread is strange to me. I feel like the developers of this visionary project are catching flack.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the area of "The Domain" - WAS/IS a very ratty industrial warehouse area.


I think some of the criticisms are not very well thought out. I am tickled pink with the projects that are moving forward in an otherwise unliveable part of town.

Last edited by TDoss; Mar 22, 2007 at 5:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:19 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoss View Post
This whole thread is strange to me. I feel like the developers of this visionary project are catching flack.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the area of "The Domain" - WAS/IS a very ratty industrial warehouse area.


I think some of the criticisms are not very well thought out. I am tickled pink with the projects that are moving forward in an otherwise unliveable part of town.
I agree, this is making great use out of an area of town that is far from aesthetically pleasing. In a city where large scale developments face frequent neighborhood opposition, the Burnet/Gateway planning area presents a unique opportunity that is largely immune from such forces. The area also encompasses the large swaths of industrial/warehouse complexes between Burnet and Metric. I'm sure a good chunk of that will see redevelopment over the next 10-20 years.
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:29 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,060
On another note... what are the long-term prospects for the Arboretum Crossing shopping center (anchored by Dave & Busters)? I've always found that to be somewhat of an awkward location for a retail center, due to limited visibility and access from the freeways. The center has lost at least 4 anchors over the past few years, two of which moved across the street to Simon's Arbor Walk (circuit city and DSW). The adjacent Gateway Shopping center would seem fine for now, but I also wonder about its long-term prospects.
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:48 PM
TDoss's Avatar
TDoss TDoss is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
On another note... what are the long-term prospects for the Arboretum Crossing shopping center (anchored by Dave & Busters)? I've always found that to be somewhat of an awkward location for a retail center, due to limited visibility and access from the freeways. The center has lost at least 4 anchors over the past few years, two of which moved across the street to Simon's Arbor Walk (circuit city and DSW). The adjacent Gateway Shopping center would seem fine for now, but I also wonder about its long-term prospects.
Long-term it is still fundamentally good real estate. Although it has some visibility issues, it is still at the intersection of 2 freeways and the demos are superb.
There are lots and lots of retailers that haven't even entered the market yet. And with Austin's retail occupancy at 95%- Big Box retailers don't have as many choices on where they can go as you think. I would be willing to bet that there will be LOI's working on the Circuit city and DSW spaces soon (if there aren't already)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:53 PM
southsideatx04's Avatar
southsideatx04 southsideatx04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoss View Post
This whole thread is strange to me. I feel like the developers of this visionary project are catching flack.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the area of "The Domain" - WAS/IS a very ratty industrial warehouse area.


I think some of the criticisms are not very well thought out. I am tickled pink with the projects that are moving forward in an otherwise unliveable part of town.
It does matter when the only way to access these artifical areas is to have the availabile resources such as the automobile and mainly the money. These areas are excluding a large portion of the population of Austin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:59 PM
Mikey711MN's Avatar
Mikey711MN Mikey711MN is offline
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Moved south to Austin, TX
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
It does matter when the only way to access these artifical areas is to have the availabile resources such as the automobile and mainly the money. These areas are excluding a large portion of the population of Austin.
Have you even bothered to look at the North Burnet/Gateway redevelopment website? The whole point of it is to tie together land-use and transportation planning, which includes elements such as commuter rail, pedestrian/bicycle accommodation, bus system integration, and even streetcars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:02 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoss View Post
Long-term it is still fundamentally good real estate. Although it has some visibility issues, it is still at the intersection of 2 freeways and the demos are superb.
There are lots and lots of retailers that haven't even entered the market yet. And with Austin's retail occupancy at 95%- Big Box retailers don't have as many choices on where they can go as you think. I would be willing to bet that there will be LOI's working on the Circuit city and DSW spaces soon (if there aren't already)
Thats good to hear... we do have a very strong retail market, and the Arboretum submarket has always been very desireable. Speaking of, is Target still on track to occupy the former Home Depot (Great Hills/183)? Nothing much seems to be happening at this time.

Ok, this is going off topic..Are there any prospects for the 12+ former Albertsons? I only know of one that has been filled (Fiesta Mart at 35/Stassney). I wonder if Ross snatched up any of the stores?
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:04 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
Have you even bothered to look at the North Burnet/Gateway redevelopment website? The whole point of it is to tie together land-use and transportation planning, which includes elements such as commuter rail, pedestrian/bicycle accommodation, bus system integration, and even streetcars.
That is true... the city is playing a very active role in planning and redevelopment. As GoldenBoot mentioned, The Domain comprises a relatively small fraction of the planning area. If nothing else, the retail center can provide a jump-start and momentum toward the overall redevelopment process
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:48 PM
TDoss's Avatar
TDoss TDoss is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Thats good to hear... we do have a very strong retail market, and the Arboretum submarket has always been very desireable. Speaking of, is Target still on track to occupy the former Home Depot (Great Hills/183)? Nothing much seems to be happening at this time.

Ok, this is going off topic..Are there any prospects for the 12+ former Albertsons? I only know of one that has been filled (Fiesta Mart at 35/Stassney). I wonder if Ross snatched up any of the stores?
I too heard that there is a target deal working at the former Homedepot.

Regarding Albertsons - I have heard a rumor that there is a Grocer looking to take 10 of the stores.(don't know who it is) More power to them.
I know I wouldn't want to go head-to-head with the 400LB Gorilla that is HEB.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:52 PM
Mikey711MN's Avatar
Mikey711MN Mikey711MN is offline
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Moved south to Austin, TX
Posts: 569
From an email received...

Quote:
We hope to see you tomorrow morning for a presentation of the North
Burnet/Gateway Draft Plan.





North Burnet/Gateway Draft Plan Presents a Vision for Redevelopment



The City of Austin Neighborhood Planning and Zoning Department invites
you to a community meeting to learn about the North Burnet/Gateway Draft
Plan and share your comments on the plan. The North Burnet/Gateway area
is in North Central Austin, bordered by Hwy. 183 to the south and
southwest, Metric Blvd. to the east and Hwy. 183/Braker Lane/MoPac (Loop
1) to the west.



Presentation of the North Burnet/Gateway Draft Plan

Saturday, March 24, 2007, 9:00 am - 11:00 am

ACC Northridge Campus

11928 Stonehollow Drive, Austin, TX

Bldg. 4000, Lecture Hall Room 4136



The Draft Plan presents a long-term vision for the area to redevelop the
low-density auto-oriented commercial and industrial uses into a higher
density mixed-use neighborhood that is more pedestrian-friendly and
takes advantage of the links to future rail transit. The plan will
serve as a framework for infrastructure improvements and changes to
zoning that will guide future development. A preview of the March 24th
Draft Plan presentation is available on the web at:
www.ci.austin.tx.us/zoning/north_burnet.htm. A map of the North
Burnet/Gateway planning area and a map of the ACC Northridge campus are
also available on the web.



For more information about the North Burnet/Gateway Draft Plan or the
March 24th meeting, contact Molly Scarbrough at the phone number or
email listed below.



Thanks,



Molly Scarbrough

Senior Planner

City of Austin, Neighborhood

Planning & Zoning Department



505 Barton Springs Road

Austin, TX 78704

Tel: 512-974-3515

Fax: 512-974-6054

Email: molly.scarbrough@ci.austin.tx.us
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 1:30 AM
Boris Boris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,730
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:42 PM
M1EK's Avatar
M1EK M1EK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
Have you even bothered to look at the North Burnet/Gateway redevelopment website? The whole point of it is to tie together land-use and transportation planning, which includes elements such as commuter rail, pedestrian/bicycle accommodation, bus system integration, and even streetcars.
I crackplogged about this aspect, titled "The Great Interconnections Lie". In short, circulators are a huge disincentive for choice commuters; and a plan that relies on them to carry a non-trivial amount of the load is doomed to failure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:37 PM
southsideatx04's Avatar
southsideatx04 southsideatx04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
That is true... the city is playing a very active role in planning and redevelopment. As GoldenBoot mentioned, The Domain comprises a relatively small fraction of the planning area. If nothing else, the retail center can provide a jump-start and momentum toward the overall redevelopment process
Do you think that the neighborhoods and the people reflect the development or does the development reflect the neighborhoods and the people?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:59 PM
TDoss's Avatar
TDoss TDoss is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
Do you think that the neighborhoods and the people reflect the development or does the development reflect the neighborhoods and the people?
I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I bet if you were to survey the people who work and live in the Domain, they would probably tell you how much they love the neighborhood and it's amenities.

Southsidetx04 - Do you think that you are stretching here looking for a problem which doesn't exist????

Would I personally want to live in the Domain?? - NO - But that is MY choice.
The same way it is the choice of the people who live in the Domain neighborhood.

I can tell you from experience that leasing is no cakewalk!!!! If there isn't a demand for people to live in the Domain neighborhood - then they will fall on their ass.

Again- Do not lose sight of the fact that where the Domain sits Was/Is a ratty industrial office warehouse area. I am glad that Simon, Endeavor, etc.. are stepping up to create a quality development.

Last edited by TDoss; Mar 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:23 PM
southsideatx04's Avatar
southsideatx04 southsideatx04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoss View Post
I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I bet if you were to survey the people who work and live in the Domain, they would probably tell you how much they love the neighborhood and it's amenities.

Southsidetx04 - Do you think that you are stretching here looking for a problem which doesn't exist????

Would I personally want to live in the Domain?? - NO - But that is MY choice.

The same way it is the choice of the people who live in the Domain neighborhood.

I can tell you from experience that leasing is no cakewalk!!!! If there isn't a demand for people to live in the Domain neighborhood - then they will fall on their ass.

Again- Do not lose sight of the fact that where the Domain sits Was/Is a ratty industrial office warehouse area. I am glad that Simon, Endeavor, etc.. are stepping up to create a quality development.
The look of the Domain "reminds" me of Disney World the way its built around looking real or feeling real but in reality everything is fake and at the end they really just want you to buy their stuff.

Are you saying the only people that matter is the people that can afford to shop and live there?
In terms of the Domain and the Domain itself, A quote from James Howard Kunstler " The true public realm then, for the sake of argument, is that portion of our everyday world which belongs to everybody and to which everybody would to have equal access most of the time. The public realm is therefore a set of real places possessing physical form".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:06 PM
Lextx97 Lextx97 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central Austin
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
The look of the Domain "reminds" me of Disney World the way its built around looking real or feeling real but in reality everything is fake and at the end they really just want you to buy their stuff.

Are you saying the only people that matter is the people that can afford to shop and live there? . . .
I agree with TDoss. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people may prefer living and hanging out in places far remote from what the Domain offers, and some people prefer "Disney World." And . . . so what? Does it bother people that much that a place like the Domain exists? It serves it purpose for the people that like it. Those that don't like need not visit it. And, duh, of course in the end they really just want you to buy their stuff. Otherwise, what's the point in its development? There are plenty of "real" places left in Austin that all of us can enjoy as well. Or, are you saying that Austinites have to choose between "Disney World" or the "real world"?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 2:42 AM
rad707 rad707 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextx97 View Post
Or, are you saying that Austinites have to choose between "Disney World" or the "real world"?
Perhaps some clarity from a South Austinite could help here.

Austin doesn't extend beyond Anderson. Anything further north is Dallas.

Everyone down here knows that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 8:15 AM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
Perhaps some clarity from a South Austinite could help here.

Austin doesn't extend beyond Anderson. Anything further north is Dallas.

Everyone down here knows that.
In the case of the Arboretum and Domain districts, I would definitely agree.. Yuppie districts ..vs.. Quintessential Austin. But as I've stated, I like The Domain and what it has to offer. Time will tell what happens, but for now, whats built is an upscale mall in the form of a town center. It serves its purpose.
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 2:29 PM
Lextx97 Lextx97 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central Austin
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
Perhaps some clarity from a South Austinite could help here.

Austin doesn't extend beyond Anderson. Anything further north is Dallas.

Everyone down here knows that.
Yeah, I kinda understood where he was going, my sarcasm was weak without emoticons. [missing winky emoticon] I lived on William Cannon 20 years ago when it was considered "North San Antonio" and when North and South Austinites were stilling having the tug-of-war contests at town lake with wine (north) and Lone Star beer (south). I still get a chuckle when I hear "Hell, I don't go north of the river." Still, fact of the matter is that Austin has developed beyond these artificial city limits. People need to accept it and move on.

There's "disney world" development in South Dallas that can be enjoyed and there's also the "real" development in North San Antonio at Slaughter and I-35 that can be enjoyed. There, now we can all be happy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.