HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 4:52 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
Cool CHICAGO | Navy Pier Redevelopment

Future plans
On January 13, 2006, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority released plans for a major renovation of the pier which would include a monorail, a 260-foot (79 m) spokeless Ferris wheel, a roller coaster, floating hotel, and an 80,000-square-foot (7,000 m²) water park with a Great Lakes theme. The plan would include nearly double the current parking and a replacement theater with a greater capacity. At the time of the announcement, a price tag of $2 billion was announced.

I got this from wiki and I wanted to know if it was true. If it is then that would be so cool!

This pic is from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Pier
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:00 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:07 PM
Marcu Marcu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,640
I think this project is dead in the water unless it's some convoluted attempt to bail out the McPier budget deficit by improving and then privatizing. McPier is out of cash and the plan seemed to get a negative reaction from the general public when released.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:31 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
Unhappy

Oh
Thats too bad

Last edited by America 117; Aug 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 6:51 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,658
Here's the proposal:



Kinda cheesy for my taste.

I'd like to see the original Chicago Ferris Wheel resurrected, if nothing else:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 7:14 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
That would have looked so great!
Navy pier really needs a roller coaster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 1:16 AM
Chicago2020's Avatar
Chicago2020 Chicago2020 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,324
found this nice render, just a vision design

__________________
Sorry Chin, but my late night host is Conan O'Brien!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 1:25 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 11,746
^^^ whoa...that looks like Lebbeus Woods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 8:05 PM
LucasS6 LucasS6 is offline
Accountz Payabo
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mililani, HI
Posts: 1,492
They should do something with the water reclaimation plant or whatever next door.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
philopdx philopdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,275
I remember when I was in Chicago in 2006, navy pier struck me as rather corporate flavor of entertainment, a little slice of Orlando on Lake Michigan.

I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.

I'm not sure about the revamp, I guess it will be interesting to see how things progress. I need to get back soon to see all the new construction and activity!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:12 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
atomic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 12,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.
IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:30 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,658
^ And it is now the most popular tourist attraction in all of Illinois - sorta the Great Lakes version of Fisherman's Wharf, minus the chowder bowls. And, perhaps, minus the Kiddies Museum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 2:35 PM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.

Municipal Pier No. 2? Was there another pier somewhere?

What are they going to do with the area of the pier that housed the childrens museum once it leaves. A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier. And a monorail would definitely be a great idea. I know the pier might not look like its that long of a walk, but it takes forever to get around the entire pier...its a much longer walk than it looks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:06 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier.
That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:11 PM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!
Yes I agree...Navy Pier is a great asset to our city and could only get better with improvements now!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:15 PM
ChicagoChicago ChicagoChicago is offline
Chicago carpetbagger
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville
Posts: 662
Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:19 PM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.
Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:32 PM
America 117 America 117 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 613
Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:46 PM
ChicagoChicago ChicagoChicago is offline
Chicago carpetbagger
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!
Knowing Daley, it's all about ego. He wants to prove he can building Grant Park. This town doesn't have enough green space as it is. Pisses me off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:47 PM
ChicagoChicago ChicagoChicago is offline
Chicago carpetbagger
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.
Why do you hate the children?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.