HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 10:52 AM
Misterfreeman87's Avatar
Misterfreeman87 Misterfreeman87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 117
This thread feels like surfing on some promotion site by the city government of Berlin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:28 PM
suburbanite's Avatar
suburbanite suburbanite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,054
While Berlin may be many things, I think you'd have a hard time arguing that it's one of the best skylines in Europe.
__________________
Discontented suburbanite since 1994
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:41 PM
Lear's Avatar
Lear Lear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europa
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterfreeman87 View Post
This thread feels like
This threads feels like the portrait of "The world´s feelings about Berlin".

Street art big in Berlin - China.org

Quote:
Art critic Emilie Trice called Berlin "the graffiti Mecca of the urban art world". From huge mural paintings to smaller graffiti, the German capital is a hotspot for the temporary, and often illegal, art form
Quote:
Alana Richards, tour guide, said,"There’s a lot of street artists, graffiti writers from around the world that are travelling to this city. Some of them stay long term, some of them just passing through. But they put up a lot of work throughout. Of course a lot of the abandoned buildings that are all over Berlin, this makes it very very attractive for a lot of artists to come here."
__________________
Berlin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 11:18 PM
Lear's Avatar
Lear Lear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europa
Posts: 766
5 Reasons Why Berlin Wins - Huffington Post
J. Hirsch Posted: 01/05/2014 5:24 pm
Quote:
You may have heard of it. A friend of yours might have visited one day and never come back, leaving behind an intact apartment, their mail piling up on the desk. It's spoken of softly like a trade-secret, and the name lingers in the air of metropolitan hotspots on saturday night from coast-to-coast.

Across the ocean, far away there lies a magical city that puts Brooklyn, San Francisco and all other major capitals of hip-ness to shame. Some call it paradise. Others the new Shangri-La. But in common parlance it's known simply as the capital of Germany. You can call it Berlin.
__________________
Berlin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 7:49 PM
Segun's Avatar
Segun Segun is offline
crackhead shuffle
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Somewhere I'm not 'posed to be
Posts: 5,266
Berlin was great, moreso IMO because pure hip hop and R&B was so respected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 5:03 PM
Lear's Avatar
Lear Lear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europa
Posts: 766
Berliners making money with the bygone era of communist Eastern Germany (GDR).



__________________
Berlin

Last edited by Lear; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:30 PM
jcchii's Avatar
jcchii jcchii is offline
Content provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: city on the take
Posts: 3,120
would love to visit. looks very modern - I assume since it was bombed to hell and back, but anyway...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 1:15 AM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,612
Berlin has been the intersection of Eastern and Western Europe at least since the Hollenzolleran Kingdom of Prussia, was founded in 1701.

This was reinforced by the completion of the Partition of Poland (divided between Russia, Germany, and Austria) in1795. Between this date and WWI, Berlin was the closest major city to the Russian Empire and migration point for many in what now are Poland, Latvia, Estonia, and, Lithuania, all of which were part of the Russian Empire.

After WWI, the USSR pulled it's border east, and, for a short time (before 1933), Berlin again was at the cross roads of the East and East.

After the end of WWII, the Iron Curtain border of the Soviet Union moved west of Berlin, and from 1945 to the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, Berlin was a Frankenstein whose survival depended on the West.

Since 1989, and, even more since the collapse of the Soviet Union and liberation of Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, and Moldavia, in 1991-1992, Berlin has remerged as the East West cross roads.

Berlin is becoming, again, what she historically has been since at least 1800.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 1:56 AM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is online now
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,133
If Berlin is regaining its significance as an artistic mecca, it should be creating new, notable cultural producers on the par with those of the legendary years in the past: conductors like Furtwangler and Karajan, major symphonic composers like Brahms, moviemakers like Fritz Lang, architects like Walter Gropius, etc.

Which of these DJs or graffiti artists or guys in bear suits is on par with the figures in Berlins past, I wonder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 2:48 AM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
If Berlin is regaining its significance as an artistic mecca, it should be creating new, notable cultural producers on the par with those of the legendary years in the past: conductors like Furtwangler and Karajan, major symphonic composers like Brahms, moviemakers like Fritz Lang, architects like Walter Gropius, etc.

Which of these DJs or graffiti artists or guys in bear suits is on par with the figures in Berlins past, I wonder.
Of course, we live in a different world, now. There are up and coming centers of world art: Moscow, Seoul, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Cairo, Istanbul, Mumbai, Kolkata, among others, each with well over 10,000,000 in their metro areas.

So, the question is relative. In terms of Europe, Berlin is becoming increasingly important.

As for the great composers that write in the classic European idiom, I think Japan has the greatest concentration today, followed by the US. Of course, in neither nation are significant compositions to be played only in front of a live audience- great classical music today is being written for anime, computer games, and, of course, for movie scores.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:10 AM
hughesnick312 hughesnick312 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 262
classical music is not the definition of creativity these days, Berlin doesn't need that to be successful, they allready are, for Berlin to arrive on the world stage it has to make globally known and globally popular music, movies, television, video games, modern art, books etc, but developing these things and creating an industry out of it, takes a long time, it's hard to make good movies, music and television, that the world likes and that becomes world famous. At the moment, now, it's the USA and UK that make all the globally famous popular modern culture, but Berlin is becoming a very creative place, i hear there are many artists, small scale performers, dj's, clubs, musicians etc, thats how all creative cities start, it just needs an increase in the size of its scene, some real money and investment, to start making and marketing berlin as a city which makes globally popular modern culture, it is important to have a sizeable cultural export industry, UK and USA make billions of pounds and dollars a year with their global cultural exports and media, if Berlin could do the same, it could make big money. It's amazing how quickly Berlin has been reborn, it's got a great reputation now, known for creativity and tech start ups, Berlin has a very bright future

Last edited by hughesnick312; Jan 22, 2014 at 4:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 AM
hughesnick312 hughesnick312 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 262
I also hear that Berlin is becoming a tech city, and has a healthy growing tech start up scene, the second biggest in Europe after london. With londons tech city district, which has many large global technology companies, and berlins growing tech start up scene, which has some smaller but still good technology companies signed up, things are moving fast and both cities are more and more successfull in these fields. The European tech cities London and berlin, have always been centres of excellence for the technology sector, but are now growing rapidly. Silicon Valley is no longer the only dog in the game, Berlins tech scene isn't at the level of London, and londons tech scene isn't at the level of Silicon Valley, but Silicon Valley does have lots of competition now, londons tech city is world class now, and Berlin will also be world class in a few years, they both have great tech start ups and things are only getting better

Last edited by hughesnick312; Jan 22, 2014 at 4:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:25 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
I also hear that Berlin is becoming a tech city, and has a healthy growing tech start up scene, the second biggest in Europe after london. With londons tech city district, which has many large global technology companies, and berlins growing tech start up scene, which has some smaller but still good technology companies signed up, things are moving fast and both cities are more and more successfull in these fields. The European tech cities London and berlin, have always been centres of excellence for the technology sector, but are now growing rapidly. Silicon Valley is no longer the only dog in the game, Berlins tech scene isn't at the level of London, and londons tech scene isn't at the level of Silicon Valley, but Silicon Valley does have lots of competition now, londons tech city is world class now, and Berlin will also be world class in a few years, they both have great tech start ups and things are only getting better
Berlin, for the foreseeable future, will not be a NYC or a London.

NYC and London have been the center of the financial world for 150 years. Currently, the US and the UK are in rapid economic decline, and, are in a historic momentum period. A good historic analogue might be Paris in the 19th Century.*

Cultural and artistic exports depend on either the availability of money (power) or on historic momentum caused by the after effects of having been a world economic power.

Based upon economic dominance, the next world cultural power will be China, once the Dragon is through it's hyper quick industrialization.

However, we live in a world where cities like Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Jakarta are powerhouses with huge domestic and linguistically defined cultural markets. Buenos Aires and Mexico City are culturally competing for a market of almost 400,000,000 speakers. Sao Paulo, is the cultural center of some 200,000,000 speakers. Mumbai is the cultural center for 300,000,000 Hindi speakers, Kolkata for 200 million. Each of these cities is brimming with millions of highly talented young people, intent on expressing themselves to their linguistic culture and the world beyond.

With the internet and it's permutations, cultural powerhouses world wide are expanding their cultural exports. S Korean movies, music, etc., are very popular in Japan and much of South East Asia. Tokyo has a firm hold on much of the world's internet arts, and, is continuing to maintain it's lead.

I have immense hope for Berlin, and Moscow, in Europe, however. Both are rising stars full of energy. However, neither IMO will significantly influence the WORLD'S culture in the 21st Century. Rather, each will be a "boutique" shop visited by more dominant cultural players.

Of yes, the US is becoming a violent, dusty museum.

*Economic growth and decline are happening over shorter and shorter intervals, so historic momentum periods also do not persist as long as such periods did the 19th and 20th Centuries.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:10 PM
Lear's Avatar
Lear Lear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europa
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post

I have immense hope for Berlin, and Moscow, in Europe.
Strange associations indeed.

Berlin is again the capital and biggest metropolis of the largest economy in Europe. Next to Washington and Beijing it has become one of the most influential political centers of the world. Russia/Moscow is rather a second world (BRIC) country.

Within the European Union of 500 million citizens Germany has become an indispensable power. A lot of the daily attention is drawn by Berlin. The capital status is the reason why the cultural scene is very well funded too.

Berlin today is well endowed by old school high brow culture, think of Berlin Philharmonics and several World heritage sites. It is also a very magnetic center of pop culture. The club scene and the art, music and creative scene is very well known. The most famous band right now with residence in Berlin is Rammstein. British bands like Depeche Mode do live part time in the city and record new albums. Hollywood studios produce movies in Berlin, think of Tarrantino or Tom Cruise.

Culturally Berlin is on par with Paris, NYC, London. Politically its location is among the global Top5. Economically its a long way to go to catch up. But even in this category Berlin has built up a fresh reputation for young entrepreneurs and start up businesses.


Die Nacht bricht an... (The night begins...)
por nevs_71, no Flickr
__________________
Berlin

Last edited by Lear; Jan 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:00 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
Professional Midwesterner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Edgewater, Chicago
Posts: 17,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
Berlin is again the capital and biggest metropolis of the largest economy in Europe. Next to Washington and Beijing it has become one of the most influential political centers of the world. Russia/Moscow is rather a second world (BRIC) country.


it sounds like you don't even know what the "C" in "BRIC" stands for?

here's a hint: it stands for "China".
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:12 PM
Lear's Avatar
Lear Lear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europa
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
You are laughing at yourself don´t you ?

Yes, China is a BRIC state, an emerging country. But its size and its position in global trade makes it also politically relevant.
__________________
Berlin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:40 PM
hughesnick312 hughesnick312 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Berlin, for the foreseeable future, will not be a NYC or a London.

NYC and London have been the center of the financial world for 150 years. Currently, the US and the UK are in rapid economic decline, and, are in a historic momentum period. A good historic analogue might be Paris in the 19th Century.*

Cultural and artistic exports depend on either the availability of money (power) or on historic momentum caused by the after effects of having been a world economic power.

Based upon economic dominance, the next world cultural power will be China, once the Dragon is through it's hyper quick industrialization.

However, we live in a world where cities like Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Jakarta are powerhouses with huge domestic and linguistically defined cultural markets. Buenos Aires and Mexico City are culturally competing for a market of almost 400,000,000 speakers. Sao Paulo, is the cultural center of some 200,000,000 speakers. Mumbai is the cultural center for 300,000,000 Hindi speakers, Kolkata for 200 million. Each of these cities is brimming with millions of highly talented young people, intent on expressing themselves to their linguistic culture and the world beyond.

With the internet and it's permutations, cultural powerhouses world wide are expanding their cultural exports. S Korean movies, music, etc., are very popular in Japan and much of South East Asia. Tokyo has a firm hold on much of the world's internet arts, and, is continuing to maintain it's lead.

I have immense hope for Berlin, and Moscow, in Europe, however. Both are rising stars full of energy. However, neither IMO will significantly influence the WORLD'S culture in the 21st Century. Rather, each will be a "boutique" shop visited by more dominant cultural players.

Of yes, the US is becoming a violent, dusty museum.

*Economic growth and decline are happening over shorter and shorter intervals, so historic momentum periods also do not persist as long as such periods did the 19th and 20th Centuries.
Good post, I agree with a lot of what you say, but not all. Despite some sensationalist propoganda, USA is not in massive decline, it has more competition now but will still be the worlds dominant superpower for at least the next fifty years. Britain does not have its empire anymore, but it's still a major world power and will still have the fifth biggest economy in 2030, it is still the sixth biggest manufacturer in the world today, and all analysts say that London and New York will remain as the alpha world capitols and financial capitols for the next few decades, also Germany will always have a good economy and manufacturing and scientific/technological industry, don't underestimate them, i do agree with a lot of the rest of your post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:51 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
Professional Midwesterner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Edgewater, Chicago
Posts: 17,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
You are laughing at yourself don´t you ?
english language fail. that sentence doesn't make any sense.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
Yes, China is a BRIC state, an emerging country. But its size and its position in global trade makes it also politically relevant.
you said that berlin was as politcally important as bejing and DC. then you went on to say that moscow isn't as important because it's a BRIC nation. China is a BRIC nation too. bejing is the capital of china. if bejing is an important political global center and moscow is not, then it stands to reason that russia's status as a BRIC nation has nothing to do with it because both russia and china are BRIC nations.
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:54 PM
hughesnick312 hughesnick312 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 262
Germany also leads the eu, the biggest economy in the world, so they do have power
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:59 PM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is online now
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,133
I just want to know what Berlin (or any city for that matter that is being globally marketed and hyped) produces that makes me say:

* * * WOW THATS AWESOME! * * *

(in Berlins case, the BPO does, but this has been so for the past fifty years whereas we are talking about new developments here not established cultural production).

We are talking about modern culture, TV often comes up...I would expect Berlin to have produced something on par of the cultural value of the Sopranos, Mad Men, Brideshead Revisited, and Downton Abbey, given that those TV shows came from cultures in 'decline'. After all, TV is pretty easy to produce with low production costs (no CGI) so most cities and countries should be able to afford it.

What about new operas and plays? I would expect Berlin's classical music expertise and history coupled with the ultra-creative hipster population to come up with plenty of new ideas in this direction as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.