HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:28 AM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,708
Happy for this. Perhaps the church will invest in homeless outreach as well.
They do have a soup kitchen of somekind in their basement.

I do hope this will not turn into a thoughtless dumping of the homeless population on a nearby neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:14 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,542
The Statesman has it now. This won't happen anytime soon. It's "hopeful" to break ground in 2018.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...YZZL6gOK7tGnI/
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:14 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Happy for this. Perhaps the church will invest in homeless outreach as well.
They do have a soup kitchen of somekind in their basement.

I do hope this will not turn into a thoughtless dumping of the homeless population on a nearby neighborhood.
There is no neighborhood, nearby or otherwise, that will allow that to happen. The problem is not the ARCH and Salvation Army specifically. It is the fact that hundreds of homeless people are allowed to congregate 24 hours a day in the area where a great many of them engage in illegal activities and harass people who are in the area for legitimate purposes. I have advocated for the homeless in Austin for a long time, but it is clear that the situation around the ARCH has gotten completely out of control and is ruining things in that part of town. I think the site of the former Home Depot up at St. Johns and 35 might be a viable place to concentrate homeless services, but I doubt that concept would get very far with area residents or with the city council either. Another option might be to disperse services. The Salvation Army could move its services and activities to the campus they have on South Congress just south of Ben White. Caritas could possibly be persuaded to relocate. The ARCH should offer services indoors and not permit or encourage large numbers of people to camp out on the adjacent sidewalks day and night. Law enforcement needs to sweep the camp sites along Waller Creek and also along and adjacent to the UP railroad tracks on the other side of downtown and up near Bouldin. One of the main reasons we have such a large and unruly homeless population is that the city does not enforce laws that would discourage this population from setting up shop here in Austin. Lots of homeless come here just for that purpose because the word out there is that Austin is fairly safe and tolerant with a benign climate and has lots of services ("feedings" is one term often used) that allow one to live on the streets in greater comfort than might be possible elsewhere.

Last edited by austlar1; Apr 25, 2017 at 4:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:50 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,542
Very well said. Enabling the homeless to engage in illegal, abusive behavior does not equate to empathy or help for the homeless.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 AM
AustinGoesVertical AustinGoesVertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 395
Love the design. I hope this is more in line with what it will look like in the end. The park on top with the solar panels would be a welcomed site. I like the glass on this rendering too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:06 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Statesman has it now. This won't happen anytime soon. It's "hopeful" to break ground in 2018.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...YZZL6gOK7tGnI/
They also have a version that isn't behind the paywall.

http://www.statesman.com/business/hi...YZZL6gOK7tGnI/
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:19 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There is no neighborhood, nearby or otherwise, that will allow that to happen. The problem is not the ARCH and Salvation Army specifically. It is the fact that hundreds of homeless people are allowed to congregate 24 hours a day in the area where a great many of them engage in illegal activities and harass people who are in the area for legitimate purposes. I have advocated for the homeless in Austin for a long time, but it is clear that the situation around the ARCH has gotten completely out of control and is ruining things in that part of town. I think the site of the former Home Depot up at St. Johns and 35 might be a viable place to concentrate homeless services, but I doubt that concept would get very far with area residents or with the city council either. Another option might be to disperse services. The Salvation Army could move its services and activities to the campus they have on South Congress just south of Ben White. Caritas could possibly be persuaded to relocate. The ARCH should offer services indoors and not permit or encourage large numbers of people to camp out on the adjacent sidewalks day and night. Law enforcement needs to sweep the camp sites along Waller Creek and also along and adjacent to the UP railroad tracks on the other side of downtown and up near Bouldin. One of the main reasons we have such a large and unruly homeless population is that the city does not enforce laws that would discourage this population from setting up shop here in Austin. Lots of homeless come here just for that purpose because the word out there is that Austin is fairly safe and tolerant with a benign climate and has lots of services ("feedings" is one term often used) that allow one to live on the streets in greater comfort than might be possible elsewhere.
Here's an idea. The Episcopal Church could go a long way in helping with the homeless situation in that area. Maybe they will have some sort of component as part of their project. Maybe they will have some affordable housing? Then again maybe not. After all isn't helping the poor a central theme of Christianity. I'll be interested in what all will be planned and how much those residential units will go for.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:47 PM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Here's an idea. The Episcopal Church could go a long way in helping with the homeless situation in that area. Maybe they will have some sort of component as part of their project. Maybe they will have some affordable housing? Then again maybe not. After all isn't helping the poor a central theme of Christianity. I'll be interested in what all will be planned and how much those residential units will go for.
Probably fewer that 25% of the visible homeless population downtown has the social development needed to live independently or semi-independently in their own housing or a structured housing scheme. The ARCH has a program that attempts find housing for homeless families and homeless individuals who have the mental and social organization neeeded to succeed in a structured housing program. Foundation Communities works with the ARCH and Caritas to provide some of that housing. Most of the people you see squatting on the sidewalks around the ARCH and the Sally are not socialized to that level. They have drug addiction, untreated mental health issues, mental retardation, and histories of violent and criminal behaviors. Probably most of them do not want treatment for substance abuse or mental health. Most of them have been in the system (either mental health/substance abuse or criminal justice) many times in the past and have come to prefer the relative freedom of homeless living rather than submit to the social norms required to live independently or semi-independently in a housing scheme. Some of these people have families nearby and possibly even homes where they are somewhat welcome. I hate to sound like a heartless person, but I think the only real solution for the majority of the homeless on the streets of downtown Austin is some form of involuntary institutionalization for substance abuse and/or mental health treatment. Others probably just belong in jail and off the streets where they prey on other homeless people and innocent members of the general public. Meanwhile, the city needs to enforce whatever anti-vagrancy laws they have on the books (and deemed enforceable by the court system) to make things safer, cleaner, and less chaotic in that quadrant of downtown. What is happening there now is truly shameful.

Last edited by austlar1; Apr 25, 2017 at 8:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:30 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They also have a version that isn't behind the paywall.

http://www.statesman.com/business/hi...YZZL6gOK7tGnI/
The Statesman doesn't really have a paywall - just open their articles in Chrome with a new incognito window. I stopped paying for online access to the Statesman because of this option.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:05 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,541
Well, golly, that's a nifty discovery.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:27 AM
Maximusx1 Maximusx1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, golly, that's a nifty discovery.
Yep, thanks (Reddit) R/Austin for that one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:32 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ATX, HTX, GTX
Posts: 6,589
You can also get around the Austin Business Journal's (or any other Business Journal) locked subscriber-content articles by pasting the link into http://cachedview.com, click the text only version.

Here's another rendering:

__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:57 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Statesman has it now. This won't happen anytime soon. It's "hopeful" to break ground in 2018.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...YZZL6gOK7tGnI/
That's soon... It's next year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:14 PM
Geckos_Rule's Avatar
Geckos_Rule Geckos_Rule is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
You can also get around the Austin Business Journal's (or any other Business Journal) locked subscriber-content articles by pasting the link into http://cachedview.com, click the text only version.

Here's another rendering:

If this really has that level of street and pedestrian interaction, that'd be great. As much as I hate buildings that insist on being spread out over an entire city block, it's certainly mitigated when you can walk past stores, bars, and restaurants instead of blank walls covering a gigantic parking garage....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:21 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,171
^^ Agreed.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted May 1, 2017, 10:53 PM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is offline
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,446
Another article: http://kut.org/post/mixed-use-high-r...in-parking-lot

Quote:
Developers say the site has more than 600,000 square feet of space to build on. Lowrey said the development could include public space for community meetings and that the church plans to work with St. David’s Episcopal Church next door to provide more services for the homeless. The Austin Center for the Homeless is just across the street.

Lowrey said safety is an important consideration for the development.

“Surface parking, even though it’s well-lit, can kind of be dead zones" that attract crime, he said. "So we’re designing this project to improve those conditions."

Austin-based real estate firm Cielo Property Group was selected to the block. Founder Bobby Dillard said developers have not made a final decision, but they’re considering office space, residential units, retail or a hotel for the property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:26 AM
OKTX OKTX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
I love this project, but I image financing will be next to impossible to get as long as the ARCH stays put.I hope I'm wrong though - Cielo does great stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:08 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,350
I think it would be more successful as an office tower given the proximity to the current situation. Worker tenants would be pretty much gone at night, where as hotel guests or residents would be there 24 / 7. That could keep those folks away. If they were to pursue this as an office tower, the balconies would go and we could be left with something less appealing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:09 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,396
I think people who are looking to live downtown go in knowing they are likely to live nearby to and have to interact with homeless people. I don't think that'll be too much a big deal either with funding or sales if it is residential. A hotel, on the other hand, might present a funding problem.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 11:46 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 514
I'm pretty sure that, regardless of the stated goals of the Episcopal Church, prospective tenants will raise holy hell about ARCH and its problems. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this project becomes one of the major nudges to get ARCH et al moved out of downtown for good. It just presents such a huge, visible risk to anyone wanting to be part of that block.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.