HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1721  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:53 AM
SkyPie's Avatar
SkyPie SkyPie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 214
I heard from somebody associated with the design of the building that the spire will have some kind of cover over what we see now so that it looks more like a needle when it's done. We'll see...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1722  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:39 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
But this spire sucks too.
No offense to you at all, friend....but I agree with you on this part regarding your submission. That said, I think you're a good guy.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1723  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:08 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
No offense to you at all, friend....but I agree with you on this part regarding your submission. That said, I think you're a good guy.
I tried...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1724  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:14 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I heard from somebody associated with the design of the building that the spire will have some kind of cover over what we see now so that it looks more like a needle when it's done. We'll see...
Next time you speak with that person, inform them that they need to cover that thing with LED color effects lighting if they haven't already considered it.

I think Genral's concept is pretty cool, something like an angled covering on the spire would fit with the overall design and add an interesting feature to break up the boxy flat roof, something that a straight up spire can't do.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1725  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 8:10 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,108
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4173/...c1b36832_m.jpg

Sorry about how tiny this picture is, but the spire on this building is almost exactly what the Fairmont is getting, only because it is situated towards the front curved section, it works very well here. I've looked at many spire images and there's simply not that big of a variety short of the ones on castles and old churches. That being said, I can't seem to stop thinking that the spire on the Fairmont is there to pretty much inflate the actual overall height of the building.

Last edited by the Genral; May 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1726  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:08 PM
brando brando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4173/...c1b36832_m.jpg

Sorry about how tiny this picture is, but the spire on this building is almost exactly what the Fairmont is getting, only because it is situated towards the front curved section, it works very well here. I've looked at many spire images and there's simply not that big of a variety short of the ones on castles and old churches. That being said, I can't seem to stop thinking that the spire on the Fairmont is there to pretty much inflate the actual overall height of the building.


The spire on the Fairmont looks pretty stupid. Not sure if it'll change much when the building is done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1727  
Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:24 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post


The spire on the Fairmont looks pretty stupid. Not sure if it'll change much when the building is done.
Thanks for the enlarge brando.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1728  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:01 AM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,633
at least that one looks like it was designed with/for the building. !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1729  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:36 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post


The spire on the Fairmont looks pretty stupid. Not sure if it'll change much when the building is done.

Wouldn't it be nice if that building was constructed here instead of what is IMO a slap in the face (to use the analogy) for the city of Austin. Some may consider my statement harsh but I get tired of being tricked or teased by what typically starts out as developers releasing nice or impressive renderings of what they are proposing, then more times than not, either the height or the quality of design decreases.

There are a couple of exceptions, namely the JW which ended up much nicer than the first renderings. A big reason for that was due to the brand upgrade. As it stands, I think the JW Marriott is much more interesting to look at than the Fairmont simply for the fact that it has variation in design.

I agree with Genral that the spire is only there to inflate the height. Honestly the spire should have been removed when they lowered the height and made the tower footprint bulkier. It just doesn't fit and looks ridiculous.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1730  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:14 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
a slab in the face
I fixed that for you
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1731  
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:43 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sunshine and taco trucks on every corner
Posts: 43,685
I'm still wanting to wait and see how it turns out. I don't think the spire is purely an attempt at making it taller, after all, the building was supposed to have 50 floors originally, and one of the documents listed with the city had a 798 foot height listed with the spire. Whether or not that was a typo doesn't matter I guess. I think the spire is mostly a feature to make the hotel distinct and stand out to guests.

I agree, though, that it's mostly an unimaginative spire. Texas actually has one of the best collections of buildings with spires.

San Antonio:

San Antonio's Marriott Rivercenter, which has to be my favorite.
https://www.google.com/search?q=marr...w=1920&bih=950

Dallas:

Republic Center - both were originally office buildings. They were later renovated and now the one with the spire is a residential building. The spire takes the height to 602 feet from a 452 foot roof.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dall...w=1920&bih=950

The Mercantile Building - probably Texas oldest building with a spire.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dall...w=1920&bih=950

Renaissance Tower - this is the "highest spire" in Texas.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rena...w=1920&bih=950

Houston:

The St. Luke's Medical Tower in the Texas Medical Center.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st.+...w=1920&bih=950
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1732  
Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:01 PM
MMOnsii MMOnsii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Except for that wall of concrete facing Cesar Chavez. It's horrible! I don't see why they couldn't have windows on that side. What is the reason for leaving that side blank?
God! I agree. Or they could have at least built it the other way around. The other end is beautiful and filled with glass. I dunno why that had to end up on Cesar Chavez. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1733  
Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:25 PM
brando brando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOnsii View Post
God! I agree. Or they could have at least built it the other way around. The other end is beautiful and filled with glass. I dunno why that had to end up on Cesar Chavez. I don't get it.
Maybe to help soundproof that section with all the traffic on Cesar and possible future construction. Is it garage or convention space?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1734  
Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:31 PM
We vs us We vs us is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Maybe to help soundproof that section with all the traffic on Cesar and possible future construction. Is it garage or convention space?
Nope, it's back of the house -- storage, prep, hallways with access to the convention space (which all faces north).

It's really pretty awful design, unless they have a plan they're not sharing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1735  
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:47 AM
MMOnsii MMOnsii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4
Also, there is no space. The building is lined up with the block to the edge of the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1736  
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:35 AM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Nope, it's back of the house -- storage, prep, hallways with access to the convention space (which all faces north).

It's really pretty awful design, unless they have a plan they're not sharing.
I think it's all the fire escapes... which either have to be totally enclosed or open like the back wall of the convention center.
But even given that... they sure could have created a better gateway to
downtown off 1st. AND a better first impression of their building
as approach it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1737  
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:07 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Right here, right now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suburban Low-rise
Posts: 4,936
That entire little area is urban vomit featuring the ugly side of the Fairmont, the IHOP, a surface lot with an anti-pedestrian slope to Cesar Chavez, the ugly little overflow parking lot for Iron Works next to the Demo'd WPP site, Waller Creek cess pool, I-35 & Cesar Chavez...
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1738  
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:40 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That entire little area is urban vomit featuring the ugly side of the Fairmont, the IHOP, a surface lot with an anti-pedestrian slope to Cesar Chavez, the ugly little overflow parking lot for Iron Works next to the Demo'd WPP site, Waller Creek cess pool, I-35 & Cesar Chavez...
They oriented the building to Waller Creek in deference to the Waller Creek vision. They probably could have put the exit stairs on Sabine, but that would impact the future Sabine Promenade. Red River might have been a better choice given that the Convention Center already impacts it. But Cesar Chavez is currently an automobile sewer, so it was an easy choice. Once the other properties fronting Cesar Chavez redevelop (and it is only a matter of time) the nature of it will change and the Fairmont will be the most negative influence. I think it could have been handled better. The JW Brazos frontage does not seem so bad in comparison. The JW also has exit stairs on Congress of all places, but they tucked the Burger Bar in to mitigate - a huge success that needs to be repeated on new projects!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1739  
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:24 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
But Cesar Chavez is currently an automobile sewer, so it was an easy choice. Once the other properties fronting Cesar Chavez redevelop (and it is only a matter of time) the nature of it will change and the Fairmont will be the most negative influence.
Maybe by then they will have mounted giant TV screens on the wall ala Times Square! And whoever develops the lot across the street could have a big amphitheater facing the TV and they could play movies at night!

*dream*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1740  
Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:44 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 1,852
I still think that if the Waller project ends up happening (or something significant around there), they'll maybe do something else on that blank wall. Screens, lights, etc...for now, it fits the surroundings, as ATX mentioned, as there is no demand for something better.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.