HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:12 PM
Horsell's Avatar
Horsell Horsell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 528
I could not agree more, this is perhaps one of the last remaining areas of our harbor front that has the potential to be developed into a landmark.

The proposal that Fortis put forward a few years ago, with the 15 story tower on top, actually didn’t look too bad (less the tower) for the lower floors that incorporated this area. It certainly was a decent start.

You can certainly hide a couple of levels of parking under an office, retail, restaurant/bar complex that adds some character to this block. Ya gotta incorporate “The Light” though, or something close.

This site is just crying out to be more than a surface parking lot, the only problem being the money and imagination required to make it right…especially the money.

Not to be forgotten is the streetscape on Water St that needs to be incorporated into anything that goes there eventually. If money were no object (ie the province wasn’t almost bankrupt) a performing arts centre could be quite spectacular there, with an elevated plaza / open space. We need a design competition to see what ideas people can come up with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:54 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I could not agree more, this is perhaps one of the last remaining areas of our harbor front that has the potential to be developed into a landmark.

The proposal that Fortis put forward a few years ago, with the 15 story tower on top, actually didn’t look too bad (less the tower) for the lower floors that incorporated this area. It certainly was a decent start.

You can certainly hide a couple of levels of parking under an office, retail, restaurant/bar complex that adds some character to this block. Ya gotta incorporate “The Light” though, or something close.

This site is just crying out to be more than a surface parking lot, the only problem being the money and imagination required to make it right…especially the money.

Not to be forgotten is the streetscape on Water St that needs to be incorporated into anything that goes there eventually. If money were no object (ie the province wasn’t almost bankrupt) a performing arts centre could be quite spectacular there, with an elevated plaza / open space. We need a design competition to see what ideas people can come up with.
Well the City isn't hurting for money and as I understand, Fortis is putting their real estate up for sale. So it will just take the right buyer and the right plan to make something good happen there. Even something like a mini-mall with some restaurants/cafes on the Harbour Drive side would be nice. You could build over the parking lot and leave the parking spaces there. Good opportunity to create a lot more retail space downtown.

Also, I don't really care for "the light". I assume you are talking about the building with the lighthouse shaped corner. I don't think it fits in there any wouldn't be missed by anyone.

If you wanted to take it a bit further, you could incorporate the back portion of the Fortis building and any development that may happen over on the other side of Job's Cove. A pedway could easily be put there. There's been rumours of a hotel going there for maybe a decade now, if not longer. I really hope a hotel doesn't go there. I would like to see all that area developed as some sort of useable public space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:04 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Has there been much talk about "Light Rail" system in St John's? I was just thinking about the "unique design" St. John's and the metro region and how it isn't a typical "grided city" with evenly distributed roadways. Most of the population is based around 3 long roadways: Topsail Rd, Torbay Rd and Kenmount Rd.

I feel like if you implemented a simple rail system on those roads with a few decent stations that it would serve almost the entire population and would be far more efficient than the existing bus system.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:32 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Has there been much talk about "Light Rail" system in St John's? I was just thinking about the "unique design" St. John's and the metro region and how it isn't a typical "grided city" with evenly distributed roadways. Most of the population is based around 3 long roadways: Topsail Rd, Torbay Rd and Kenmount Rd.

I feel like if you implemented a simple rail system on those roads with a few decent stations that it would serve almost the entire population and would be far more efficient than the existing bus system.
I don't think there has been any. I doubt I will see any light rail system in St. John's in my lifetime. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I just don't see it happening. I think we need a proper bus transit system first, and that doesn't even seem like much of a priority at the moment
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:05 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I don't think there has been any. I doubt I will see any light rail system in St. John's in my lifetime. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I just don't see it happening. I think we need a proper bus transit system first, and that doesn't even seem like much of a priority at the moment

I agree that we need a proper bus system first but I don't have confidence that anything will improve. Maybe talk about some sort of LRT/tram system would get municipalities/metrobus in gear.

Though with the amount of planning, overhauling and new hubs/stations/sheltered stops/express routes/roadwork that would really be required to fix the bus system it would probably be easier to stick a some sort of simple rail system along a couple of the major routes in the metro region and just have the buses act as a feeder system.

Seriously with the way the metro region is laid out if you had 1 single rail system just along Topsail road alone you be serving at least 50-75% of the entire metro population. Add another along Torbay road you are probably at >80%.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I agree that we need a proper bus system first but I don't have confidence that anything will improve. Maybe talk about some sort of LRT/tram system would get municipalities/metrobus in gear.

Though with the amount of planning, overhauling and new hubs/stations/sheltered stops/express routes/roadwork that would really be required to fix the bus system it would probably be easier to stick a some sort of simple rail system along a couple of the major routes in the metro region and just have the buses act as a feeder system.

Seriously with the way the metro region is laid out if you had 1 single rail system just along Topsail road alone you be serving at least 50-75% of the entire metro population. Add another along Torbay road you are probably at >80%.
Also, we can't even build a 10 km highway in a 15 year time frame, let alone a LRT system. Sorry, I had to get my dig in at this ridiculous project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:02 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0875481&type=3

http://bonestructure.ca/en/

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 8:54 PM
Arrakis Arrakis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 936
Love their designs. I would buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0875481&type=3

http://bonestructure.ca/en/

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:05 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0875481&type=3

http://bonestructure.ca/en/

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.
There is one of these in CBS. There was a big home house thing there the summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:01 PM
Horsell's Avatar
Horsell Horsell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 528
I wonder how the cost compares to traditional "stick built" construction? They present very nice modern designs, I would think a few of these would look quite nice on the hills of Torbay (or elsewhere) with panoramic views of the water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:10 PM
Offshore1 Offshore1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NL
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I wonder how the cost compares to traditional "stick built" construction? They present very nice modern designs, I would think a few of these would look quite nice on the hills of Torbay (or elsewhere) with panoramic views of the water.
I don't know about a direct cost comparison but they're not cheap, but I suppose stick built isn't either. The lowest cost option on their pricing schedule is $350K. I'd be curious about a comparison to ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) as I watched that series on HGTV - House of Bryan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:54 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I don't know about a direct cost comparison but they're not cheap, but I suppose stick built isn't either. The lowest cost option on their pricing schedule is $350K. I'd be curious about a comparison to ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) as I watched that series on HGTV - House of Bryan.
Off topic, but man I love that show
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:49 PM
Chew's Avatar
Chew Chew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0875481&type=3

http://bonestructure.ca/en/

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.
Looks amazing - I really am not a fan of the standard issue generic vinyl siding home that dominates the landscape around here.

I want one like that one out in CBS, only not in CBS!

Sadly I'll probably never be able to afford anything like that...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 5:21 PM
Offshore1 Offshore1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NL
Posts: 92
Smile

Saw an interesting housing concept that an Edmonton company has started selling, taking advantage of new bylaws that promote increasing population density. Interesting idea, probably wouldn't fly here though given our tendency towards urban sprawl and opposition to most any modern looking structure.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...ticle31294127/
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.