HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've never eaten Taco Xpress. If I ever ate at El Gallo, I was a child and don't remember it. Wish I could remember it now.

I like Matt's, Maudie's, and Texican. Enchiladas y Mas is good, but it's so far north for me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Maybe it was an April Fool's joke. I sure was hoping it was a joke when El Gallo on South Congress closed. My family had been going there since the 70s. I still haven't found another Austin Mexican food restaurant that can keep up with it. I'm starving.
I don't think it's a joke. Here's the Google search results page for Maria's Taco Xpress Closing

KEYE, The Austin American Statesman and the ABJ all reported on it at the end of February.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:50 AM
Administrator

Site plan for Bouldin Creek Commons, a 4-story office building at the northeast corner of Lamar & West Oltorf.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...mons_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've never eaten Taco Xpress. If I ever ate at El Gallo, I was a child and don't remember it. Wish I could remember it now.

I like Matt's, Maudie's, and Texican. Enchiladas y Mas is good, but it's so far north for me.
Matt's is good, but I was partial to El Gallo over them. Maudie's is actually really good. They have really good enchiladas. I'm not a fan of the Texican. I mostly don't like their salsa, and their rice was kind of dry from what I remember. I usually end up measuring a Mexican food restaurant based on their salsa. I usually polish off a bowl or two before my food arrives.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Matt's is good, but I was partial to El Gallo over them. Maudie's is actually really good. They have really good enchiladas. I'm not a fan of the Texican. I mostly don't like their salsa, and their rice was kind of dry from what I remember. I usually end up measuring a Mexican food restaurant based on their salsa. I usually polish off a bowl or two before my food arrives.
I only recently started eating salsa. Maybe in the last 3 or so years.

Texican's salsa is ok. I don't really know whose I like off the top of my head.

But if you're ever in Lampasas, try Alfredo's. Really good TexMex and their salsa is great. It's not chunky, and has some kick to it. I don't like mine with chunks of tomato, and I don't like it some bland it might as well be ketchup.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:22 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I don't like chunks in it either. Salsa should be thin. The chips, too, and absolutely no salt on them. I grew up going with my dad to the El Lago chip factory in East Austin to get those huge hot and fresh bags of chips. It was amazing. That place was demoed a few years ago for an apartment project.

I like making my own salsa, too. It's just so good.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't like chunks in it either. Salsa should be thin. The chips, too, and absolutely no salt on them. I grew up going with my dad to the El Lago chip factory in East Austin to get those huge hot and fresh bags of chips. It was amazing. That place was demoed a few years ago for an apartment project.

I like making my own salsa, too. It's just so good.
Best chips and salsa in Austin are at Taco More on riverside (also another location on Rundberg). The salsa comes out warm, and is fantastic.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:17 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I love salt on my chips.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin