HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:31 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
interesting.

here's the original article about the ~700 room dorm:

UAB to spend $86M on dorm, student center



would love to see some renderings if they're available.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:53 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
found a link to state of the university address:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/77432866
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:08 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
nevermind... i made some screen captures from the video lol.

here's the dorm and site plan:






and here's something called the "Crescent"?? looks huge...



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:31 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
nevermind... i made some screen captures from the video lol.

here's the dorm and site plan:








and here's something called the "Crescent"?? looks huge...



Thank you for the screen shot. It just looks to me like the footprint on the dorm site is much bigger than the L shape of the dorm itself.

The Research Crescent will be awesome when they get the money to start construction. This will give 18th Street and University BLVD a totally new look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:33 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
isn't 18th and university where the VA currently is?

i thought the new VA proposal was just for a clinic, not a replacement hospital. is it going away? or maybe i have my intersections wrong...

*EDIT*

oops! duh, nevermind...

this would be on the south side of university. i'm an idiot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:24 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
isn't 18th and university where the VA currently is?

i thought the new VA proposal was just for a clinic, not a replacement hospital. is it going away? or maybe i have my intersections wrong...

*EDIT*

oops! duh, nevermind...

this would be on the south side of university. i'm an idiot.
No you are not an idiot, we are just not use to all this proposed activity going on here in Boringham. Hopefully this is just the beginning.
Yes you are correct this is the south side of University Blvd where the Rust communications building is located and where the old School of Nursing dorm Hixon Hall was located.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:49 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
i'll add these images to the birmingham development thread... tasc, i'll let you decide if you want to add them to the front page since the image quality is kinda poor. would love to find the original images online..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:47 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i'll add these images to the birmingham development thread... tasc, i'll let you decide if you want to add them to the front page since the image quality is kinda poor. would love to find the original images online..
The original images are on this website, however they are a little smaller than the ones you posted. But here goes:
uab.edu/uabmagazine/spring2011/features/tomorrow/vision?start=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:04 AM
B'ham Bound's Avatar
B'ham Bound B'ham Bound is offline
I concede
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Birmingham / Auburn
Posts: 745
Another sitemap plan of the UAB research "crescent."

__________________
War Eagle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:53 PM
Tourian Tourian is offline
The Salty Ham
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 283
I didnt use to think so but now I feel that if UAB football is to thrivr they wouodnneed a smaller more cozy stadium adjacent to their campus. Legion field is too big and too far away and whatever mixed used dome thing that becomes the bjcc either wont be that great for football but also too far away as well.

they need something that doesnt have to be scheduled around concerts or conventions and that wont swallow up a crowd of 10k.

oops. I see you guys have moved on. I saw something about a big fundraiser they were nearing complete success with. It is good their future is so bright.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I didnt use to think so but now I feel that if UAB football is to thrivr they wouodnneed a smaller more cozy stadium adjacent to their campus. Legion field is too big and too far away and whatever mixed used dome thing that becomes the bjcc either wont be that great for football but also too far away as well.

they need something that doesnt have to be scheduled around concerts or conventions and that wont swallow up a crowd of 10k.

oops. I see you guys have moved on. I saw something about a big fundraiser they were nearing complete success with. It is good their future is so bright.
I have always wondered why UAB chose not use the West Campus Field to play football as well as soccer. It seemed to me it would have been a great place to start out, spend the money on the needed preparation and have an instant on campus stadium.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:15 PM
MovingAL MovingAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Row
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I have always wondered why UAB chose not use the West Campus Field to play football as well as soccer. It seemed to me it would have been a great place to start out, spend the money on the needed preparation and have an instant on campus stadium.
An FBS stadium should seat at least 20k, really no less than 25k. The footprint in West Campus ins't large enough for a 25k seat venue. Besides, the plan calls for a soccer, tennis, and track/field complex to be built where the WCF and intramural fields are now. The intramural fields are to be moved across University Blvd adjacent to the practice field.

Building a 15k-17k seat erector-set style stadium on the WCF site, would succeed in moving football on-campus, but it couldn't/wouldn't be built as a permanent facility and that wouldn't meet the needs of the University or the athletic department.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:53 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL View Post
An FBS stadium should seat at least 20k, really no less than 25k. The footprint in West Campus ins't large enough for a 25k seat venue. Besides, the plan calls for a soccer, tennis, and track/field complex to be built where the WCF and intramural fields are now. The intramural fields are to be moved across University Blvd adjacent to the practice field.

Building a 15k-17k seat erector-set style stadium on the WCF site, would succeed in moving football on-campus, but it couldn't/wouldn't be built as a permanent facility and that wouldn't meet the needs of the University or the athletic department.
Thank you, I felt there had to be a good reason why, I just could not think of any. Anyway if they do decide to build it we now have all the pieces of land needed for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 9:00 PM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
A breakdown of UAB's $1 billion fundraiser: $350M Faculty; $250M Programs; $200M Research; $100M Students; $100M Facilities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:20 AM
MovingAL MovingAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Row
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Thank you, I felt there had to be a good reason why, I just could not think of any. Anyway if they do decide to build it we now have all the pieces of land needed for it.
Looking at the master plan map again, UAB could possibly squeeze in a stadium on the WCF site. I think UAB wants a stadium closer to planned parking lots across I-65.

I think a good thing for the City will be the greenway from the center of campus to Regions Field and Railroad Park. Especially, once the planned dorms just south of Regions Field come on-line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 9:11 AM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL View Post
Looking at the master plan map again, UAB could possibly squeeze in a stadium on the WCF site. I think UAB wants a stadium closer to planned parking lots across I-65.

I think a good thing for the City will be the greenway from the center of campus to Regions Field and Railroad Park. Especially, once the planned dorms just south of Regions Field come on-line.
I also took a look at the master plan map and squeeze is a good way of putting it, there probably would not be enough room to expand the stadium if it came to that, and they probably would have had a big fight with the neighbors to the south like the fight they had when UAB discussed building a football stadium at George Ward Park. The neighbors complained about the lights, the noise and the traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 8:05 AM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
According to AL.com UAB is the most under served area for restaurants in the state. So we've picked up a few new ones like Waffle House, Moe's across from the E.R.,and World of Wings down on the college end next to Snoozy's. There was a proposal for a new and larger CVS on a site at 14th and 11th Avenue where some apartments are standing now, not sure of the status. Wendy's is returning to the area down on 24th and 7th Avenue S. across from the site of the new VA clinic, UAB has a building down there related to the Arts about a block away. (UAB the University that Ate Birmingham). Also there's a Taco Bell and a Mooyah Burgers proposed for the area between Arrington BLVD(formerly 21st) and 22nd on 7th Avenue. Dunkin Donuts down on 6th Avenue next to the Fish Market and Newk's. There are few more new places to eat and drink in 5 Pts South: World of Beer,Metro Prime,Jimmy Johns,Fire House Subs,The Red Zone and a Waffle House. I do not know where to go first.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 11:25 AM
Bamablazer's Avatar
Bamablazer Bamablazer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham-SouthSide
Posts: 304
I was walking near the Business and Engineering Complex when I looked west up 10th Avenue I notice a rather large structure under construction. I know that is not UAB's property, and it is directly across 10th from Epic School and next door to Glen Iris School. WTH?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 5:35 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
^gotta be University Flats?

Plans revived for $7M apartment complex near UAB

60 units / $6.6 million
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 5:39 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is offline
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,052
did some searching and found this:



however, i think this was the original proposal before the project got stalled... i imagine it has changed since then?

how tall was the building you saw? or was it still going up?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.