HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:25 PM
City of Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Yes. I don't know how anyone could even think about moving to Venezuela for the foreseeable future.

But how can anyone enjoy humidity?

There is absolutely nothing worse than having your clothes stick to you. I was in Tulum for a few days recently (that was the trade in exchange for my foodie pilgrimage to Oaxaca), and I took 3-4 showers each day. So uncomfortable.
I guess I'm just used to it. You just make sure you have dry clothes. If you are going out to get in your car and the car isn't cooled off you just leave your shirt off until you get there. Plus it's super easy - throw on a pair of shorts, a shirt, and sandals and you're out of the house in 15 seconds vs a cold climate where I imagine it takes and hour to get bundled up.

Honestly I ask the same questions about people that live in places like Boston or Chicago - how do they deal with that cold? because below 50 and I just can't stand to be outside.

Plus you have to put on SOOOO much clothes and it take forever. I don't even own an actual coat. When I get cold I have a hard time warming up, but when I'm hot, a few seconds of AC and I'm already better.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:37 PM
Professional Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Honestly I ask the same questions about people that live in places like Boston or Chicago - how do they deal with that cold?
because everything is relative.

you call 50 cold, but to me that's the perfect outdoor temperature because i can do shit without sweating like a mo-fo.

"chilly" starts in the 30s/20s, and "cold" doesn't start until the teens or single digits (depending on what the wind is doing).

as for humidity, it is the most awful thing in our universe. it's even worse than creed (hard to believe, but true).

i've long fantasized about killing god just for creating the whole notion of humidity in the first place. what was that asshole thinking?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I always hear really negative things about Singapore. Obviously it's safe, prosperous, etc. but boring as sin. At least the young people I know always wanted to get the hell out and go to Tokyo, Hong Kong, or really anywhere else in Asia.
well, if you find cool architecture, a clean city, multi-ethnic mix, the tropics, major league clubbing, rampant open prostitution and gambling boring, then yeah.

otoh, for drugs they give you a speedy trial and you hang by the neck on the next friday. then there is the caning of course and that extends to beating people at work and kids at home and in school. i suppose you can gamble with that stuff too if you want to.

so singapore is not by any means boring. most people just go there briefly for work or layover for a day or so on their way to elsewhere on their sea travels, so i'm not sure they really know it very well.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:48 PM

^ I was in Singapore for a week for work, but had a weekend, and there wasn't that much to do. The food, however, is phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
I guess I'm just used to it. You just make sure you have dry clothes. If you are going out to get in your car and the car isn't cooled off you just leave your shirt off until you get there. Plus it's super easy - throw on a pair of shorts, a shirt, and sandals and you're out of the house in 15 seconds vs a cold climate where I imagine it takes and hour to get bundled up.

Honestly I ask the same questions about people that live in places like Boston or Chicago - how do they deal with that cold? because below 50 and I just can't stand to be outside.

Plus you have to put on SOOOO much clothes and it take forever. I don't even own an actual coat. When I get cold I have a hard time warming up, but when I'm hot, a few seconds of AC and I'm already better.
Sandals are for the beach. Only. T-shirts are barely acceptable to wear in town. I wear a suit to the office most days, and humidity is unbearable. And I don't consider running out of the house shirtless until the AC kicks in to be a viable solution. Also, what if you're walking and not driving?

As for cold, you buy a warm wool coat. You can always add layers to get warmer, you cannot strip naked in the heat. Hell, if it's above 90 then it's too hot even if you are naked. And you can go inside and warm up, but you can't rinse the sweat off when you come inside without taking a shower.

Here in London the annual temperature range is about 45-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe a handful of days colder or hotter (but summers are never humid). That's about what I can handle.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Apr 27, 2017 at 9:14 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions