HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:35 AM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,812
I really feel like the Cellars could have benefitted from being just a smidgen taller, like 5 floors or something. I'm sure it had to do with its proximity to the river though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:15 PM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I really feel like the Cellars could have benefitted from being just a smidgen taller, like 5 floors or something. I'm sure it had to do with its proximity to the river though.
Correct, the height limitations are due to the RIO 2 guidelines.
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:44 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 400
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 2:58 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,189
I really wish Dylan would add a like button to SSP because Raul would get a bunch for that photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:16 PM
PDG91's Avatar
PDG91 PDG91 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
I wish they went with the light brown/beige brick all around the cellars building. I don't really like that bright red brick that they used on the main part of the building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:09 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
I wish there was a river level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:40 AM
necropolis necropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I wish there was a river level.
I would assume there is none due to flooding concerns. Even with the inlet just north of there, the river can get quite high and move kinda fast in severe rain events. Most other developments in the Pearl/River North area are raised up from the river level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 10:59 PM
WorldTexas WorldTexas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 225
This one is nearly done. The level of detail on the rebuilt Bottling Building is really incredible!






Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:45 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,189
I hate to say it (and this is only a comment on the architecture) but the new 10-story addition looks like bad mid-century public housing.

Thanks for the photos, WorldTexas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 7:46 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I hate to say it (and this is only a comment on the architecture) but the new 10-story addition looks like bad mid-century public housing.

Thanks for the photos, WorldTexas.
Kind of agree, that red part looks so weird. They should have painted it the same color as the front part of the structure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:39 PM
mklunder13 mklunder13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 38
In my opinion, the 1-story building ,in front of the new apartments/condos, while architecturally very nice, it doesn't engage with the pedestrian experience. At least from the angle in the picture above, it's just a beige wall making it seem standoffish. But still, glad it's bringing more business and options to the pearl and it'll be great to see the activity these residential buildings bring.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:31 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 201
Tentatively agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
In my opinion, the 1-story building ,in front of the new apartments/condos, while architecturally very nice, it doesn't engage with the pedestrian experience. At least from the angle in the picture above, it's just a beige wall making it seem standoffish. But still, glad it's bringing more business and options to the pearl and it'll be great to see the activity these residential buildings bring.

What is the 1 story building for? If it some kind of convention/meeting hall, the I'm not sure I have much of a problem with how it looks.

Also, is this a river view? That would matter as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:19 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
In my opinion, the 1-story building ,in front of the new apartments/condos, while architecturally very nice, it doesn't engage with the pedestrian experience. At least from the angle in the picture above, it's just a beige wall making it seem standoffish. But still, glad it's bringing more business and options to the pearl and it'll be great to see the activity these residential buildings bring.
You might want to look on the plaza side of the building that's currently behind the construction fencing. The wall side is the driveway for a new parking garage, the "pedestrian experience" is primarily on the other side where there's a very nice patio (doesn't get much more pedestrian friendly than that).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:29 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,189
The Riverwalk has always been about the pedestrian experience. It seems the architect of the new building completely missed the point in that regard and also got many other things wrong about this project. Can they tear it down and start over?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:52 PM
Rynetwo Rynetwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 66
To each their own.

I really like this project.

That one story building is where the Jazz Texas is. The bar is under ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 8:25 PM
SAtown SAtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
In my opinion, the 1-story building ,in front of the new apartments/condos, while architecturally very nice, it doesn't engage with the pedestrian experience. At least from the angle in the picture above, it's just a beige wall making it seem standoffish. But still, glad it's bringing more business and options to the pearl and it'll be great to see the activity these residential buildings bring.
The one-story building you reference was built there and in that style as it is a replica of the old bottling building that used to sit there before it burned down in 2003. I totally understand what you're saying about the experience around it, though, but I love that they reconstructed the historic building so much more. It gives yet another layer to the Pearl story and is another instance of the developers honoring the history of the Pearl over the economics of that prime real estate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:52 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The Riverwalk has always been about the pedestrian experience. It seems the architect of the new building completely missed the point in that regard and also got many other things wrong about this project. Can they tear it down and start over?
Actually, the museum reach portion of the Riverwalk is completely different in terms of pedestrian connection than the touristy downtown portion of the Riverwalk. This was done by design to maintain the park like environment it is trying to invoke. Instead of tourists or people drinking and eating at tables or just people in general overcrowding the walkways, the museum reach is for people walking from one area to another, or people walking, running/jogging, biking for exercise. For people walking their dogs. Those people 8 or 9 times out of ten are residents of San Antonio, most who live near by.

In a nutshell, that's who this was built for. Local residents who wanted a clutter free linear park along the San Antonio River.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 10:00 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Actually, the museum reach portion of the Riverwalk is completely different in terms of pedestrian connection than the touristy downtown portion of the Riverwalk. This was done by design to maintain the park like environment it is trying to invoke. Instead of tourists drinking or eating at tables or just tourists in general overcrowding the walkways, the museum reach is for people walking from one area to another, or people walking, running/jogging, biking for exercise. For people walking their dogs. Those people 8 or 9 times out of ten are residents of San Antonio, most who live near by.

That's who this was built for. Local residents who wanted a clutter free linear park along the San Antonio River.
I'm not saying you're wrong because I definitely think there's a lot of value to the Museum Reach as a more park-like stretch of river, but I think the lack of river-level businesses has more to do with that area being in the flood zone. The reason there's businesses on the river level of the river bend is because of the flood barriers that get lowered during heavy flooding. The water has gone up over the sidewalk on the museum reach a couple of times this year already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 10:12 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong because I definitely think there's a lot of value to the Museum Reach as a more park-like stretch of river, but I think the lack of river-level businesses has more to do with that area being in the flood zone. The reason there's businesses on the river level of the river bend is because of the flood barriers that get lowered during heavy flooding. The water has gone up over the sidewalk on the museum reach a couple of times this year already.
That's not the reason at all. Sections of the downtown Riverwalk flood and waters rise to the sidevwalk as well.

The disconnect, as I said, is intentional.

You go down to experience the museum reach. You go up to experience the city,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 11:36 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
There's no danger of flooding there. The flood diversion tunnel is one block upstream. If it really was the intent of the planners of the museum reach to exclude river level entrances to buildings, then I think that decision was a poor one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:05 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.