HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
AUSTIN | Plaza Saltillo | U/C

The link includes renderings. One of the proposals shows a stacking plan of a 14-story building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne....html?page=all
Quote:
Apr 17, 2014, 8:02am CDT UPDATED: Apr 17, 2014, 5:08pm CDT
The future of Austin's Plaza Saltillo: Here are four developers' visions

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Four developers offered competing visions this week for the future of one of East Austin's most desirable development locations, Cap Metro's Plaza Saltillo station, at the transit authority's board meeting.

The about 11-acre site sits mostly vacant today, in contrast with the increasingly lively East Austin entertainment and residential area. In renderings presented to the Capital Metro board at the April 15 meeting, the now-underused site has been brought to life by projects that appear to embody all of the development buzzwords the city and its builders have grown to use in past years.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 11:26 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
Quote:
Apr 17, 2014, 2:17pm CDT
C3 Presents, SXSW could anchor East Austin creative hub

Chad Swiatecki and Robert Grattan
Austin Business Journal

C3 Presents and SXSW Inc., two of the biggest players in the Austin and national music ecosystem, could end up located within blocks of each other as they look to move their headquarters into office spaces in proposed developments on the fast-growing east side of Austin.

If both moves pan out, it could create the basis for a new East Austin creative hub, part of the rapidly changing development push east of I-35. The possible move of two of Austin’s main music-related companies to the city’s east side would add even more momentum to the shift of the music scene away from the traditional downtown core west of Red River Street.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted May 13, 2014, 11:06 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,992
I can't wait for this redevelopment. Plaza Saltillo is really a gem that although improved recently, is still pretty underutilized. Adding the kind of density proposed will not only bring more people to the plaza but will tie the plaza with DT. This is a great opportunity to create an East Central gateway similar to what was planned along 11th Street but on a grander scale.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:17 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 496
There is an open house for the public, showcasing the 4 finalist's visions for Plaza Saltillo at the Terrazas Branch Library on 1105 E. Cesar Chavez from 5:30 to 7:30 PM tonight, if anyone is interested. Details are in the Austin Business Journal article, below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...f-central.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:39 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news....257263.735372
Quote:
Cap Metro narrows Plaza Saltillo development contenders to two
Posted: 6:53 p.m. Monday, May 19, 2014

By Ben Wear - American-Statesman Staff

Looking to transform Austin’s old rail yard into a dense and lively “transit village,” Capital Metro’s board Monday narrowed to two the contenders for the right to develop the land.

Saltillo Collaborative envisions a dense collection of buildings, most of them 50 to 70 feet high, covering the seven blocks. Most of the development would be apartments, with at least 25 percent of them in the “affordable category,” with ground floor retail spaces. In a slide presentation from Saltillo Collaborative released by Capital Metro, that term affordable is defined as rents set for households with 30 to 60 percent of Austin’s median family income.

The site also would have garage parking, parking on top of a couple of buildings, surface lots and street parking, a total of about 800 spaces. And Saltillo foresees having a 120-foot-high hotel and a “creative office” building near I-35.

Endeavor and its partners also portray a development of closely packed buildings, again with 25 percent affordable housing (half of it in a building reserved for seniors) and ground floor retail. That group says their development would have about 800 apartments, a 60,000-square-foot, full-service grocery store and about 50,000 square feet of retail.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:06 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: JCNJ
Posts: 1,949
Upon selection of the developer for Plaza Saltillo, can we expect design and planning to begin immediately or in the short term? Or is this just a formality I'll soon forget about?
__________________
"Also, to be frank, I like dense cities best and care about them most." from The Death And Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:01 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
I'm betting it'll go through design changes just like we saw with Seaholm and Green.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:23 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,344
A 60k sq ft grocery store would serve that area well. I think Endeavor also planned an H.E.B. with their Green Water proposal if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 11:50 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,992
I would like to see more renderings of the buildings from Endeavor before I can compare the two because right now, grocery store or not, im not really impressed compared to the Satillo Collaborative proposal.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:22 PM
ivanwolf's Avatar
ivanwolf ivanwolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 453
This project is just boring, donut hole apartment buildings will look so similar to ever other one in this city. Its just to fill in the empty blocks. Nothing in those proposals is exciting. I think this proposal is like a I35 barrier where you can't see through it like you can with smaller buildings. Having block long 4-6 story buildings will be like a huge wall North to South and ugly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:27 PM
hereinaustin hereinaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
This project is just boring, donut hole apartment buildings will look so similar to ever other one in this city. Its just to fill in the empty blocks. Nothing in those proposals is exciting. I think this proposal is like a I35 barrier where you can't see through it like you can with smaller buildings. Having block long 4-6 story buildings will be like a huge wall North to South and ugly.
They're fairly efficient in terms of density, plus they hide the parking structure. The fancier it looks, the more expensive it will be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:57 PM
nixcity's Avatar
nixcity nixcity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 699
I wish they would have made it Austin's "Little Mexico" and have made like a Colonial Mexican style still using the same heights just make it look kind of like what 4th street looks like where El Milagro is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:16 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,992
I wish the Riverside proposal made it through, I really liked the rendering with the spotlights.

Having said that, the Plaza Saltillo Collaborative looks to be the best option. I think Endeavor's proposal will be the most bland.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:24 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
I would chain myself to the building at El Milagro if anyone tried to redevelop it. lol They and El Lago have the best tortilla chips on the planet. Living in that neighborhood must be nice. The smell of the factory is intoxicating.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:35 AM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They and El Lago have the best tortilla chips on the planet. Living in that neighborhood must be nice. The smell of the factory is intoxicating.
El Lago is moving to Pflugerville.

Tortilla chip maker to leave East Austin site for new digs in Pflugerville
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal
May 14, 2014


Quote:
El Lago Mexican Foods Inc., which for many years has operated a tortilla chip factory in East Austin, is moving its operations to Pflugerville.

The move from 1700 E. Fourth St. east of downtown Austin could provide an unusual redevelopment opportunity in a trendy area near the proposed Plaza Saltillo development project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:12 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The ATX
Posts: 2,722
I agree Jdawgboy, the Saltillo Collaborative proposal is the best one out of the 2.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:02 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I agree Jdawgboy, the Saltillo Collaborative proposal is the best one out of the 2.


On a side note, the city really needs to do what it can to keep long time businesses within the city limits. It's one thing to bring in new companies which we are doing well, but it's equally important to keep our home grown companies from leaving even if it is to the suburbs. A part of the eastside's cultural heart is dissappearing. It's a shame they didn't choose another location nearby.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:16 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post


On a side note, the city really needs to do what it can to keep long time businesses within the city limits. It's one thing to bring in new companies which we are doing well, but it's equally important to keep our home grown companies from leaving even if it is to the suburbs. A part of the eastside's cultural heart is dissappearing. It's a shame they didn't choose another location nearby.
The reason all these manufacturing companies are moving to Pflugerville and out of the Austin city limits is because Pflugerville has designated their industrial complex as triple freeport exempt. That means goods are exempt from city, county and school district property & inventory taxes if they are held for less than 175 days at your warehouse. This is a HUGE tax break for companies that manufacture goods (like tortilla chips) and ship them around the country. Pflugerville has developed a pretty impressive industrial complex with lots of large newly constructed buildings, anchored by Pecan 130 Business Park, so they are luring a lot of big manufacturing companies to their city. Here's the flyer for Pecan 130: http://marketing.cbre.com/Austin/lis...ess%20Park.pdf As far as I know, the only triple freeport areas within the Austin city limits are some smaller, older areas in the northeast and by ABIA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted May 24, 2014, 4:48 AM
verybadgnome verybadgnome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Holly neighborhood, Austin
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
The reason all these manufacturing companies are moving to Pflugerville and out of the Austin city limits is because Pflugerville has designated their industrial complex as triple freeport exempt. That means goods are exempt from city, county and school district property & inventory taxes if they are held for less than 175 days at your warehouse. This is a HUGE tax break for companies that manufacture goods (like tortilla chips) and ship them around the country. Pflugerville has developed a pretty impressive industrial complex with lots of large newly constructed buildings, anchored by Pecan 130 Business Park, so they are luring a lot of big manufacturing companies to their city. Here's the flyer for Pecan 130: http://marketing.cbre.com/Austin/lis...ess%20Park.pdf As far as I know, the only triple freeport areas within the Austin city limits are some smaller, older areas in the northeast and by ABIA.
Good point. I wish some of the local media outlets mentioned this fact when reporting the El Lago story. One of them even mentioned the possibility of Austin losing "thousands in tax dollars" as if that prime site would not be redeveloped. Almost seemed like an anti-Austin bent.

I'm trying to recall, does the train honk its horn when going through this area? If so these new residents might object to any expanded hours or frequency of commuter trains which would be a shame since ironically it is TOD.

Speaking of which Saltillo Plaza is one of the least used stations. Hopefully this will help a little in that regard as I could see commuting to north Austin from here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:45 PM
ivanwolf's Avatar
ivanwolf ivanwolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Good point. I wish some of the local media outlets mentioned this fact when reporting the El Lago story. One of them even mentioned the possibility of Austin losing "thousands in tax dollars" as if that prime site would not be redeveloped. Almost seemed like an anti-Austin bent.

I'm trying to recall, does the train honk its horn when going through this area? If so these new residents might object to any expanded hours or frequency of commuter trains which would be a shame since ironically it is TOD.

Speaking of which Saltillo Plaza is one of the least used stations. Hopefully this will help a little in that regard as I could see commuting to north Austin from here.
I ride the train everyday, there is no horn in the area. Only once when construction workers were near the track.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.