HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:27 PM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,124
Speaking of Google, a couple of weeks ago they installed the wiring for Google Fiber in all 600 units of the complex I live in. Since it was the apartment complex management that made the decision to do this, they were the ones who paid the $300 per unit for the installation.

When the guys were in my apartment, I asked one of them how long they were expecting it to take to get the whole city wired and he said 6 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:15 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Speaking of Google, a couple of weeks ago they installed the wiring for Google Fiber in all 600 units of the complex I live in. Since it was the apartment complex management that made the decision to do this, they were the ones who paid the $300 per unit for the installation.

When the guys were in my apartment, I asked one of them how long they were expecting it to take to get the whole city wired and he said 6 years.
Good info. But that means those of us living in the outer 'burbs only have to wait 10-15 years.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:24 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
They started drilling the holes on our street this week near the water meters to start running the fiber optic lines through whatever corridor they have down there.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:43 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Honestly I'm not suprised by this news. There have been strong signs and hints that Google was likely to aquire up to 200K sf of space in this office building for months now and probably was why they started construction when they did. It's great news indeed but wasn't exactly a come out of nowhere announcement.
That's true, they didn't waste any time with starting this one so they likely had an idea beforehand. The announcement of this building was basically, "Yeah, so we're going to do another building...and here it is."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:41 PM
_Matt _Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 329
Per courtesy notice from Beck, the office building mat foundation pour for this site will begin early morning of Saturday April 18th and continue for 24 hours. So U/C in about 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 9:01 PM
OtherKevin's Avatar
OtherKevin OtherKevin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Per courtesy notice from Beck, the office building mat foundation pour for this site will begin early morning of Saturday April 18th and continue for 24 hours. So U/C in about 4 weeks.
The notice also mentions Approx. 1100 concrete deliveries between 2AM on Saturday, April 18 and 2AM Sunday, April 19th.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:07 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherKevin View Post
The notice also mentions Approx. 1100 concrete deliveries between 2AM on Saturday, April 18 and 2AM Sunday, April 19th.
oops!

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:33 AM
OtherKevin's Avatar
OtherKevin OtherKevin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 88
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:05 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is online now
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,513
I found a filing with the FAA for heights for the tower cranes. This is for air traffic safety. It states the height of at least one of the cranes will be 572 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...41146792&row=5
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:18 PM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
I don't get why crane height for this project would exceed that for the Aloft by 200 feet, when the height difference between the two buildings will be less than 50'...?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:27 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I don't get why crane height for this project would exceed that for the Aloft by 200 feet, when the height difference between the two buildings will be less than 50'...?
Neighboring cranes' heights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:34 AM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,124
April 16, 2015





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:52 AM
IluvATX IluvATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage-Austin-Anchorage-Austin and so forth...
Posts: 310
Beck can't like that red crane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:06 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,520
There is a massive cement pour going on right now. It's being pumped in from several spots around the pit and APD is directing an ongoing convoy of cement trucks.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 3:42 PM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,115
This may be the best picture ever posted on this forum. It's astounding. I can't stop looking at it. I know it's Austin, but it looks so foreign to me. Nearly all of the structures/projects in this picture are brand new. That whole area is amazing. I can't wait until Austin Proper and The Independent get underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
April 16, 2015

[/IMG]
__________________
Anti-palm trees. Death to I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:45 PM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This may be the best picture ever posted on this forum. It's astounding. I can't stop looking at it. I know it's Austin, but it looks so foreign to me. Nearly all of the structures/projects in this picture are brand new. That whole area is amazing. I can't wait until Austin Proper and The Independent get underway.
I thought the exact same thing when I first saw that picture, and I've saved it so I can share it with friends who haven't been here in several years. I can say, "Nothing higher than 2 stories in this photo was here when you last came to visit. Remember when I took you to Whole Foods? It's right next to those 3 towers in the distance on the right side of the photo." And to think that this only captures one limited area, albeit the one that is the most dominated by new construction.

This photo could be used as the basis for a misbegotten protest against Google. They're going to occupy a building that will displace that lovely reservoir. Shame! There could be endangered salamanders in there!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,344
I'm neutral about what I think of the Austin Music Hall, but I like how its becoming part of dt rather than on the edge of it. And yes, that picture is a remarkable record of the new Austin. If you haven't seen Austin in 12 years, there's very little in that photo that would indicate you were in Austin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:15 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm neutral about what I think of the Austin Music Hall, but I like how its becoming part of dt rather than on the edge of it. And yes, that picture is a remarkable record of the new Austin. If you haven't seen Austin in 12 years, there's very little in that photo that would indicate you were in Austin.
Except for the rolling hills west of town that are....well....covered up by all the shiny new tall buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:31 PM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,124
From Trammel Crow's Facebook page (posted yesterday)

Quote:
TCC's 500 W. 2nd Street, the 29-story, 500,000-square-foot office tower in Austin, TX, reached a construction milestone and made history with The Beck Group over the weekend with Austin's largest-ever continuous concrete foundation pour of 10,680+ cubic yards in just over 24 hours. With the completion of the 9-feet deep slab, the office tower will soon begin vertical construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:07 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 3rd house on the right
Posts: 2,344
I should have invested in concrete, or....concrete trucks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.