HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:45 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
That pic was to illustrate the cityscape - not any single building. There is just a lot of mid-rise low rise density in Chicago and some but a fair amount less in Toronto. I'm not implying it - I'm saying exactly that.

On the other hand my responses here are not meant to be any more or less condescending than the posts I am replying to. And while not a versus thread it is a comparison thread. If you read all my recent posts I believe I have tried to strike a balance in my comments. I lived in Europe for almost ten years and maintain a dual residency so I do have some knowledge there

When someone says that Toronto has passed Madrid and is poised to shortly join the ranks of Paris, NYC and Shanghai though, I do think that's ridiculous - for many reasons that are not really worth getting into here.

But I get it - stay on topic - this is a skyscraper thread and I don't want to steer the discourse here into a (IMO endless and boring exercise) City vs City thing.
isaidso did not say that Toronto has passed Madrid and will join NYC, etc. He said Toronto is a global city and thus operates in the same plane as Stockholm, Melbourne, NYC for global talent and capital. Toronto arguably is a larger and wealthier city than Stockholm and Melbourne while smaller and less powerful than NYC. Thesecities were grouped together for being global cities. Chicago is not a global city, it is a regional American city, albeit a powerful one, and has a similar sized economy and population to Toronto.

Anyway, this is a classic city-vs-city thread, and kolchak despite his pretensions, is hardly being objective. I grant you kolchak that a couple forumers on the other side are also poorly informed and boosterish too but be honest with yourself, you're very much a Chicago booster with your USA-centric blinkers on. I'm a dual citizen of Canada and the USA who has spent over a decade in Europe.
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:11 AM

Let's be serious though. Neither Toronto or Chicago are really all that great. They both pale in comparison to Montreal and NYC in many ways.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:38 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Let's be serious though. Neither Toronto or Chicago are really all that great. They both pale in comparison to Montreal and NYC in many ways.
Speak for yourself, i prefer Chicago to NYC, and i prefer Toronto to Montreal. I also prefer Toronto to NYC, but Montreal and Chicago are a toss up, i'd probably give Montreal a bit of an edge over Chicago.
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Speak for yourself, i prefer Chicago to NYC, and i prefer Toronto to Montreal. I also prefer Toronto to NYC, but Montreal and Chicago are a toss up, i'd probably give Montreal a bit of an edge over Chicago.
Fair enough. I have to admit I wasn't totally serious. But there are certain things about every city we can appreciate. Every city can be a model for other cities in some way. I don't see why pit two cities against each other so much. Toronto should aspire to be more like Chicago, and Chicago should aspire to be more like Toronto.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Chicago is not a global city, it is a regional American city, albeit a powerful one, and has a similar sized economy and population to Toronto.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cit...rticle/386315/

https://wearetop10.com/wealthiest-ci...-world-by-gdp/

Fortune global 500 companies:

Chicago 12

Canada 11

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

https://www.google.com/amp/s/classic...ramophone/amp/

I have not said that Toronto isn't a rising star. But to deny that Chicago is a global player is inaccurate.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:32 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cit...rticle/386315/

https://wearetop10.com/wealthiest-ci...-world-by-gdp/

Fortune global 500 companies:

Chicago 12

Canada 11

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

https://www.google.com/amp/s/classic...ramophone/amp/

I have not said that Toronto isn't a rising star. But to deny that Chicago is a global player is inaccurate.
While there isn't any question that Chicagoland is a business powerhouse, it's
no where near as important to business activity or prominence as the entire country of Canada as you seem to be foolishly implying. As through, Toronto is no match for Chicago since Chicago bests Canada!!! This demonstrates that the criterion (Fortune global 500) that you have used to compare is of very limited value.

I can just as easily compare the number of large international companies that have their Canadian head office in the Toronto area and compare that number with the number of large international companies that have their US head office in the Chicago area, and it wouldn't be close. 100 to 1 perhaps in favor of Toronto? Understand that the majority of such companies with Canadian representation have their head office in the Toronto area.

The links you have provided are also of very limited value because they often don't make completely valid comparisons.... i.e. Chicagoland vs. Toronto metro if not just the city.... how about Chicagoland vs. the Golden Horseshoe? And as far as which is the better off of the two... I can see, I've been to both and Chicago has a far more in terms of square mileage of poor crime ridden neighborhoods than the GTAH. There's a great deal of wealth in Chicago as well.... but it's more concentrated.

Last edited by Waterlooson; May 18, 2017 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:40 PM
The New Republic

Perhaps we can now start the 'I keep hearing Toronto is coming close to NYC but I don't see it' thread?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto