HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 7:58 AM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This looks nice. Is there any media coverage on it saying how many rooms it'll have?
Not a peep from the media yet, I guess we'll see something tomorrow.

197 rooms.
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:22 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 279
My wife works there

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Hearing from where?
Apparently officially, staying put is an option, but probably not a likely one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 3:29 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Apparently officially, staying put is an option, but probably not a likely one.
Yes, I know this. Has been known since the CEO decided to put out bids. But you said you heard news that they would stay at their current site, which surprised me because I hadn't heard that and everything I've told is they're really happy with the bids they got in.

Are you saying you misinterpreted the details about there being an option to stay put as them saying they were staying put?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:12 PM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,539
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:38 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 279
All I was saying was

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yes, I know this. Has been known since the CEO decided to put out bids. But you said you heard news that they would stay at their current site, which surprised me because I hadn't heard that and everything I've told is they're really happy with the bids they got in.

Are you saying you misinterpreted the details about there being an option to stay put as them saying they were staying put?
That word from management to the employees is that a move is not certain.

Possibly parroting the official stance given the public. With 20 or so proposals to look at, I would think they could find something they like.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:32 PM
UrbanTrance's Avatar
UrbanTrance UrbanTrance is offline
Paradise
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
nice design. could this possibly the W hotel that was proposed a few years back?
I don't know. Different location and different design.







The last Fish Market proposed hotel was intended to be boutique, so this one might follow suit. If so, I wonder if this will spur a W Hotel development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:05 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I don't know. Different location and different design.







The last Fish Market proposed hotel was intended to be boutique, so this one might follow suit. If so, I wonder if this will spur a W Hotel development.
Different owner last time.

Also, as stated in the agenda for the building and reiterated by Ben Olivo today, if the HDRC denies the demo then Chris Hill would have no choice but to add density aka height to the development.

They'll more likely approve demo'ing the building as they have already once approved demo'ing the same building. However, if they did deny it, that might not be such a bad thing if that means a taller building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:47 PM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Also, as stated in the agenda for the building and reiterated by Ben Olivo today, if the HDRC denies the demo then Chris Hill would have no choice but to add density aka height to the development.
It's not viable if he doesn't add density, which he's proposing now. If the demolition of the Sullivan Bank building is denied, then he would be back to the drawing board of how he could develop an economically viable project without the demo of the Sullivan Building. His quote is taken out of context, or somewhat misunderstood.

Quote:
They'll more likely approve demo'ing the building as they have already once approved demo'ing the same building. However, if they did deny it, that might not be such a bad thing if that means a taller building.
That wouldn't mean a taller building. This entire development (18 floors or taller) is dependent on the demolition of the Sullivan Bank Building.
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:24 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
It's not viable if he doesn't add density, which he's proposing now. If the demolition of the Sullivan Bank building is denied, then he would be back to the drawing board of how he could develop an economically viable project without the demo of the Sullivan Building. His quote is taken out of context, or somewhat misunderstood.



That wouldn't mean a taller building. This entire development (18 floors or taller) is dependent on the demolition of the Sullivan Bank Building.
Yeah, that quote seemed to be taken out of context. Well, regardless, the demo will more than likely be approved, paving way for this awesome building to get built.

This building will change and improve the design standard/quality for downtown.

I'm quite excited!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:34 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
I do wish it had a residential component.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:38 PM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yeah, that quote seemed to be taken out of context. Well, regardless, the demo will more than likely be approved, paving way for this awesome building to get built.

This building will change and improve the design standard/quality for downtown.

I'm quite excited!
I agree. I don't think that this will be much of an issue with HDRC. This tower, IMO will appear to add more density to the skyline than what it really will, at least from certain angles. I'm excited about this too.
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 3:40 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 256
If it's just another hotel, then I would prefer it not get built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 4:20 AM
arkitekte's Avatar
arkitekte arkitekte is offline
Preds/Titans/Grizz
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I do wish it had a residential component.
Same here. It's just too hard to sell residential units at a property like that...no onsite parking is the biggest problem. What a developer could offer at a unique location like this, a developer could offer more amenities and onsite parking somewhere near the Pearl or along Broadway for much cheaper, which we're seeing more of. A hand full of residential units wouldn't be too difficult in theory, but then the actual management and design side gets a little cloudy. You start having to answer questions on the management of those residential units vs the hotel rooms, will the residential units share elevators/ other amenities with hotel guests, etc.

There are other particular properties in the CBD that a prime for residential components. Whether we see something on these lots is another story.
__________________
I built it ground up. You bought it renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:45 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
I made the gif below when the massing rendering came out for the new Frost HQ. I messed with it and added THE HOTEL development (blue building) to show its potential affect on the skyline.

This the skyline looking east from the UTSA campus. That is IH10 running north and south.



DISCLAIMER: THAT IS NOT THE EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE BUILDINGS IN THE SKYLINE BUT A CLOSE ENOUGH GUESS ON MY PART.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:57 AM
trillhippy_210 trillhippy_210 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I made the gif below when the massing rendering came out for the new Frost HQ. I messed with it and added THE HOTEL development (blue building) to show its potential affect on the skyline.

This the skyline looking east from the UTSA campus. That is IH10 running north and south.



DISCLAIMER: THAT IS NOT THE EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE BUILDINGS IN THE SKYLINE BUT A CLOSE ENOUGH GUESS ON MY PART.
That frost building will drastically change the skyline!?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:21 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 View Post
That frost building will drastically change the skyline!?
Yes, especially from this view.

The massing model in the renderings had the proposed tower at twice the height of the current Frost HQ.

The final height may be taller too. We'll just have to wait and seem.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:19 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 279
Nice job with the GIF

Can't wait to see what designs the Weston group comes out with for the Frost tower.

Even though the Hotel is shorter than the Drury, looks like some decent infill.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:36 PM
fordman2800 fordman2800 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Hearing from where?
It was previously posted that CPS was going to make an announcement sometime this month.....I guess we'll just have to wait if it's good or bad news for the skyline of San Antonio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 11:02 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,394


Demo and design were just approved by the HDRC!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 11:03 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,922
This is awesome news! I can't wait for a timeline of this project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.