HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:16 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,423
A writer for the S.A. Business Journal sees the proposed Austin convention center as a threat to S.A. I prefer to view it as healthy competition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ion-could.html
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:15 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,946
It seems San Antonio is freaking out about Austin a lot these days. It's as if we just suddenly appeared out of nowhere on their horizon..

And what's with this whole "people like to go to Austin because we have more direct flights" as one of their city officials put it. Why do we have more direct flights in the first place? Because there is demand.. I mean seriously if there wasn't the demand and the need for those flights we wouldn't have any more than SA. Airlines don't just say hey let's start a new direct flight out of "so and so city" and see if it will be successful! That's like renting a house to people who have no money to pay rent. They first research the market to see the viability before they make a decision. Sure it's a two way street, the city has pushed for more direct flights and sure, sometimes a route doesn't always work out in the end but to imply that basically if we didn't have more direct routes not many people would come here is just ridiculous and patronizing. We seemed to have had plenty of people wanting to come here when we didn't have as many flights.

Reality check....People come here because they like the city and they want to visit. Larger conventions have been wanting to come to Austin for years but we just didn't have the space they needed. That much is evident as the JW Marriott was under construction several conventions that havent been here before began booking. They didn't book just because "oh hey! Austin has a 1,012 room JW Marriott now and a lot more ballroom space, let's book there because you know..... they have it now so why not"
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:01 PM
Austin1971 Austin1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It seems San Antonio is freaking out about Austin a lot these days. It's as if we just suddenly appeared out of nowhere on their horizon..

And what's with this whole "people like to go to Austin because we have more direct flights" as one of their city officials put it. Why do we have more direct flights in the first place? Because there is demand.. I mean seriously if there wasn't the demand and the need for those flights we wouldn't have any more than SA. Airlines don't just say hey let's start a new direct flight out of "so and so city" and see if it will be successful! That's like renting a house to people who have no money to pay rent. They first research the market to see the viability before they make a decision. Sure it's a two way street, the city has pushed for more direct flights and sure, sometimes a route doesn't always work out in the end but to imply that basically if we didn't have more direct routes not many people would come here is just ridiculous and patronizing. We seemed to have had plenty of people wanting to come here when we didn't have as many flights.

Reality check....People come here because they like the city and they want to visit. Larger conventions have been wanting to come to Austin for years but we just didn't have the space they needed. That much is evident as the JW Marriott was under construction several conventions that havent been here before began booking. They didn't book just because "oh hey! Austin has a 1,012 room JW Marriott now and a lot more ballroom space, let's book there because you know..... they have it now so why not"
SA acts like Austin is stealing all their passengers. In reality only a small amount use ABIA instead of SA.

http://tpr.org/post/growing-pains-co...her-key-cities

San Antonio’s airport director told city council members Wednesday that a net 300,000 passengers who used to fly out of the San Antonio International Airport are now driving to Austin for flights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:10 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,946
Yea I saw that. I know we are kinda moving off topic as far as specifically convention center news but the two do go hand in hand since convention goers fly to get here.

Your right as well about it not being a big difference by any means. Honestly for people who live in New Braunfels or Seguin ABIA is just as easily accessible if not moreso especially for Seguin since SH130 ends there. Time wise it's probably the same if not even quicker to get to ABIA.

Most conventions typically choose cities based on their attendees preferences. Many take polls and surveys. So our convention industry is growing because people want to come here which means there's a lot of demand for the convention center to expand. Conventions will only go to cities that provide the space and amenities they need, so even if the majority of their attendees want to come to Austin, if we don't have the space at that time then they won't come here. Conversely if we have the space and amenities that doesn't mean that other conventions will choose us. They will go where their attendees would like to go.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:49 PM
Austinite101's Avatar
Austinite101 Austinite101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It seems San Antonio is freaking out about Austin a lot these days. It's as if we just suddenly appeared out of nowhere on their horizon..

And what's with this whole "people like to go to Austin because we have more direct flights" as one of their city officials put it. Why do we have more direct flights in the first place? Because there is demand.. I mean seriously if there wasn't the demand and the need for those flights we wouldn't have any more than SA. Airlines don't just say hey let's start a new direct flight out of "so and so city" and see if it will be successful! That's like renting a house to people who have no money to pay rent. They first research the market to see the viability before they make a decision. Sure it's a two way street, the city has pushed for more direct flights and sure, sometimes a route doesn't always work out in the end but to imply that basically if we didn't have more direct routes not many people would come here is just ridiculous and patronizing. We seemed to have had plenty of people wanting to come here when we didn't have as many flights.

Reality check....People come here because they like the city and they want to visit. Larger conventions have been wanting to come to Austin for years but we just didn't have the space they needed. That much is evident as the JW Marriott was under construction several conventions that havent been here before began booking. They didn't book just because "oh hey! Austin has a 1,012 room JW Marriott now and a lot more ballroom space, let's book there because you know..... they have it now so why not"
They have good reason to. Up until the 2000s, SA was largely without serious competition as Austin lacked amenities and competitive edge. We're now at a point where Austin's becoming the bigger kid on the block and it's finally getting people in SA's attention.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 10:17 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
They have good reason to. Up until the 2000s, SA was largely without serious competition as Austin lacked amenities and competitive edge. We're now at a point where Austin's becoming the bigger kid on the block and it's finally getting people in SA's attention.
Well the attitudes seem patronizing and tone of the articles still try to brush us off despite being a "threat".

They should have known a long time ago that we would catch up. As I told an old friend back in the early 2000s who lived in SA, I half jokingly mentioned how you look at your side mirrors and the warning at the bottom of the mirror saying Objects are closer than they appear.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:30 PM
ivanwolf's Avatar
ivanwolf ivanwolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 450
The Phase III with no hotel is silly, I mean really its great to have the hotel with the new CC. But what they should do is have not one hotel on either the north or the south but BOTH. Two hotels one at each end. That would really up the rooms and make the hotel highly convenient to the CC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM
Austin1971 Austin1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 521
A first: Austin beats San Antonio's hotel business

W. Scott Bailey
Reporter/Project Coordinator
San Antonio Business Journal


It was not a good second quarter for San Antonio’s hotel industry. Fewer rooms were booked and overall revenues declined.

But the more troubling news for San Antonio is that, for the first time, according to industry tracker Source Strategies Inc., the Austin area passed up the Alamo City, generating more hotel revenue than a market so heavily dependent on the tourism sector.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-business.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:07 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sunshine and taco trucks on every corner
Posts: 44,361
I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing for San Antonio. On the face of it it does seem so, but you have to remember that Austin and San Antonio both offer something very different when it comes to entertainment. San Antonio does things in a more intimate way that draws a lot of people to witness something historic and grand, while Austin does big festivals. I don't think that San Antonio's wonder is being one-upped, I just think that Austin is getting the kind of attractions that draw more people simply because that's the nature of them - that they draw a lot of people even in a short time.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:34 PM
ATXboom ATXboom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,378
see a trend? ...The trend will be complete in the next 15 years.

Austin passes SA in GDP
Austin airport traffic passes SA
Austin hotel revenue passes SA
Soon Austin hotel number passes SA
Soon Austin metro population passes SA

Oh yeah... no city vs city stuff. Please delete this post upon reading.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:37 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing for San Antonio. On the face of it it does seem so, but you have to remember that Austin and San Antonio both offer something very different when it comes to entertainment. San Antonio does things in a more intimate way that draws a lot of people to witness something historic and grand, while Austin does big festivals. I don't think that San Antonio's wonder is being one-upped, I just think that Austin is getting the kind of attractions that draw more people simply because that's the nature of them - that they draw a lot of people even in a short time.
I agree, I think each city has its own unique qualities. I don't think it should be considered as some sort of doomed relegation to second place because It's not about that.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:00 PM
paul78701 paul78701 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
The Phase III with no hotel is silly, I mean really its great to have the hotel with the new CC. But what they should do is have not one hotel on either the north or the south but BOTH. Two hotels one at each end. That would really up the rooms and make the hotel highly convenient to the CC.
As I was saying above, this could very well happen. White Lodging announced their hotel (which would be at the south end of this site) only last month. The expansion proposal probably had the hotel as a part of their suggestion before that. They could go with the version that puts it on the north end of the proposed expansion and we could effectively end up with two hotel towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:07 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,113
I'm a big fan of that idea. It's a better use for the space and the hotels would be used even when conventions weren't happening, bringing more life (and business) to the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:42 AM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
...Austin and San Antonio both offer something very different when it comes to entertainment. San Antonio does things in a more intimate way that draws a lot of people to witness something historic and grand, while Austin does big festivals. I don't think that San Antonio's wonder is being one-upped, I just think that Austin is getting the kind of attractions that draw more people simply because that's the nature of them - that they draw a lot of people even in a short time.
Yes!!! I just wrote my first comment on the San Antonio forum, and it was basically about this same idea, that each city is unique and they're not in direct competition. As I said in that comment, I originally came to Texas to see both San Antonio and Austin, not one or the other. They're so close to each other that they can each benefit from the other's success, yet they're distinct enough that they don't cannibalize each other's business.

I don't see any reason for there to be envy or rivalry between the cities. They're far too unique for that. And there's a very serious danger in seeing each other as direct competition, which is that such a mentality can easily lead to inappropriate (dare I say moronic?) responses that detract from each city's unique appeal. Should San Antonio strive to dot its downtown with skinny metallic residential and office skyscrapers and attract massive pop culture festivals? I think not. Should Austin curtail development along Shoal and Waller creeks in order to preserve an intimate, warm, cozy feeling along the lines of the Riverwalk? Good luck.

I probably haven't stated that very well but i think most of us can plainly see that each city has unique strengths and weaknesses, and we're not so much direct competitors for tourism dollars as we are partners in a region that can attract visitors to either or both cities in such a way that we're not seeing the other as a threat to our identity and prosperity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 5:07 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,113
In some ways, I see it like Dallas - Fort Worth. I know the comparison has been made and some folks are on either side of the camp, but the bottom line is that Dallas and Fort Worth both benefit from the success of the other - as do a plethora of other cities in the DFW region (largely, if not completely, because of the success of Dallas and Fort Worth). Both are impressive cities in their own right, but together they're a huge, unstoppable force economically and they're growing in urbanism (at least in some areas, while others seem complacent to continue sprawling north to Oklahoma). That said, Austin and San Antonio can have a similarly beneficial relationship if they work together to make the region great. Both cities are going to develop in their own unique ways - which is good and right - and they shouldn't worry so much about that. Dallas and Fort Worth are radically different, in my opinion, as are Austin and San Antonio. However, the region's health and future depends on the success of both cities - whether they eventually form a metroplex-like relationship or not. Conventions are plenty, as are tourists. I don't think we need to get too worried about either city dying out because of the success of the other.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:02 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,423
They are drilling on Block 8 this morning. The drilling rig is in the parking lot for the Bates Motel (SXSW reference.)
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:38 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,113
Any news on a proposed timeline? Or has one been announced and I just missed it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:53 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ATX, HTX, GTX
Posts: 6,518
City Council could vote on Austin Convention Center master plan Oct. 15

Quote:
A long-range master plan that outlines recommendations for expanding Austin Convention Center comes before City Council on Oct. 15 for potential approval.
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:23 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
<Here
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 6EQUJ5
Posts: 5,423
Not wanting to be outdone by the Fairmont (apparently), the Hilton is proposing an 88 feet log aerial walkway connecting to the convention center:

"Jones|Carter is submitting this project for review by the AULCC. This exhibit is for the design of a walkway spanning between the Hilton Hotel and The Austin Convention Center between Travis County Parcels Nos: 525245 and 191560. Utility locations in this area are needed to place columns and foundations for the walkway. The project will include construction of an 88-ft aerial walkway between the Hilton Hotel and the Austin Convention Center."


ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/2015/151029/
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:31 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Not wanting to be outdone by the Fairmont (apparently), the Hilton is proposing an 88 feet log aerial walkway connecting to the convention center:

"Jones|Carter is submitting this project for review by the AULCC. This exhibit is for the design of a walkway spanning between the Hilton Hotel and The Austin Convention Center between Travis County Parcels Nos: 525245 and 191560. Utility locations in this area are needed to place columns and foundations for the walkway. The project will include construction of an 88-ft aerial walkway between the Hilton Hotel and the Austin Convention Center."


ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/2015/151029/
Maybe they can redo the Hilton's facade while they are at it. Way too much hideous brown and tan stucco.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.