HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I don't think Block 185 is where Facebook is going. I posted on the Austin Proper thread that there is a very strong rumor that Cielo Property is redeveloping the Austin Music Hall site into a 250,000 square foot office building (see thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=215343&page=6 ). The massing for this rumored building even shows up in the Proper rendering that's posted on RECA's website, as mentioned and posted in the Proper thread. From the below site plan, Austin Music Hall is north of Proper, and Block 185 is south of Proper. I think the building that Syndic's friend was talking about is Cielo's redevelopment, not Block 185.
If thats the case then either Syndic's friend or the architect went way overboard when saying supertall. I would doubt it being more than 20 floors if that if it's only 250,000 sq feet.

But then again the way some people around here think anything over 10 floors is a super tall LMAO.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northwest SA
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If thats the case then either Syndic's friend or the architect went way overboard when saying supertall. I would doubt it being more than 20 floors if that if it's only 250,000 sq feet.

But then again the way some people around here think anything over 10 floors is a super tall LMAO.
The Austin Music Hall site has nothing to do with Block 185 (the rumored "Facebook" tower site).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The Austin Music Hall site has nothing to do with Block 185 (the rumored "Facebook" tower site).
Syndic's friend never said Block 185 was the rumored Facebook site. We all just assumed it was because that was the only site we knew about "near the power plant", which is what she said. I am just speculating, but I think that the Austin Music Hall site, which is also near the power plant, it the site she was talking about. If they are redeveloping it, it's in the design stage now which lines up with her story. It would make more sense than trying to change the zoning on Block 185 from residential to office. Just speculation on my part. You can feel free to shoot holes in it.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Apr 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:31 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If thats the case then either Syndic's friend or the architect went way overboard when saying supertall. I would doubt it being more than 20 floors if that if it's only 250,000 sq feet.

But then again the way some people around here think anything over 10 floors is a super tall LMAO.
I don't know how many floors it is. Hill Country was estimating. I heard that its 250,000 square feet but maybe it's bigger than that? Maybe that's what the FAR will allow and they are going to try to get a variance? Or if it's only 250K, maybe it's a skinny tower? It's all rumor at this point. So far all the rumors have been panning out though - Google at 500 West 2nd was true, Apple leasing all of Capital Ridge was true, and the same people are talking about the Austin Music Hall redevelopment so I'm inclined to believe its likely, at least. Call me crazy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:20 AM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Syndic's friend never said Block 185 was the rumored Facebook site. We all just assumed it was because that was the only site we knew about "near the power plant", which is what she said. I am just speculating, but I think that the Austin Music Hall site, which is also near the power plant, it the site she was talking about. If they are redeveloping it, it's in the design stage now which lines up with her story. It would make more sense than trying to change the zoning on Block 185 from residential to office. Just speculation on my part. You can feel free to shoot holes in it.
Actually, the main reason I assumed it was Block 185 is because she said it was going to be "on Cesar Chavez". Pow pow.
__________________
Anti-palm trees. Death to I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:48 AM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Actually, the main reason I assumed it was Block 185 is because she said it was going to be "on Cesar Chavez". Pow pow.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 AM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post


LOL
__________________
Anti-palm trees. Death to I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:42 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
A nice door
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In a low-rise
Posts: 4,819
That's three times now we have gotten off track with the Facebook tower location. On Cesar Chavez is a key element of the rumor. Now, we could start enhancing the rumor by adding/changing it. But the rumor is already quite fragile as it stands now. But I hope I am wrong, and as of today we have Apple to go along with Google as big players in the local office space market. Hopefully Facebook is next.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 4:09 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 1,760
Let's put it in an uninteresting suburban office park off of 45 and Mopac, yeah? Anyone? Bueller?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:54 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 2,050
Just a side fact...Facebook's HQ campus in Menlo Park was designed by Gensler. Also, Facebook's Tokyo office recently moved into a new high-rise tower. As has their office in Seattle.

I don't believe they (Facebook/Gensler) had anything to do with the design of said new high-rises, however.
__________________
Austin (City): 931,830 +17.90% - '10-'15 | Austin MSA (5 counties): 2,056,405 +19.82% - '10-'16
San Antonio (City): 1,469,845 +10.73% - '10-'15 | San Antonio MSA (8 counties): 2,429,609 +13.40% - '10-'16
AUS-SAT "CSA" (13 counties): 4,486,014 +16.25% - '10-'16 | *SRC: US Census*

Last edited by GoldenBoot; May 5, 2015 at 4:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:03 AM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just a side fact...Facebook's HQ campus in Menlo Park was designed by Gensler. Also, Facebook's Tokyo office recently moved into a new high-rise tower. As has their office in Seattle.

I don't believe they (Facebook/Gensler) had anything to do with the design of said new high-rises, however.
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site. However they are not involved in The Austin Proper - that's KOR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:59 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site. However they are not involved in The Austin Proper - that's KOR.
I know that! Someone mentioned trying to figure out from which architecture firm the person who told Sydnic about Facebook's possible involvement in the development of a tower in downtown Austin. I was just passing along some information I found.

Also, The KOR Group is not an architecture firm. They are a commercial real estate investment, development and management firm out of California. And how did the Austin Proper tower become involved in this discussion?.
__________________
Austin (City): 931,830 +17.90% - '10-'15 | Austin MSA (5 counties): 2,056,405 +19.82% - '10-'16
San Antonio (City): 1,469,845 +10.73% - '10-'15 | San Antonio MSA (8 counties): 2,429,609 +13.40% - '10-'16
AUS-SAT "CSA" (13 counties): 4,486,014 +16.25% - '10-'16 | *SRC: US Census*

Last edited by GoldenBoot; May 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted May 6, 2015, 10:35 PM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site.
True, and then Handel Architects is the architect for Austin Proper, while Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) Architecture is the architect for North Shore. So maybe (hopefully) Block 185 will have a 4th architecture firm that's not one of the other three. I'm kind of glad all four aren't being designed by the same architect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:51 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
A nice door
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In a low-rise
Posts: 4,819
Here is the first permit (a site plan determination/exemption) filing I've come across for Block 185. It was filed about two weeks ago. It has three attachments that unfortunately crap out (technical term) before they open.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11437433


Edit: The attachments finally opened for me, and the news is not too exciting. The Beck Group just wants to add another construction trailer to the site and connect it to utilities. This might be related to moving the trailers from the Independent site.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 14, 2015 at 2:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:20 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
A nice door
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In a low-rise
Posts: 4,819
Here's a BISNOW fluff piece about the Greenwater development. But there was a snippet about Block 185.

Quote:
The fourth project at Green Water will likely be another residential tower, but that won’t get started for another year or two, Adam tells us.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...medium=Browser
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:11 AM
AustinGoesVertical AustinGoesVertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 343
Wink

14 floors, 152' (6 residential levels built on top of an 8-level parking podium). Just kidding, how many people smashed their computers?

Joking aside, I'd be surprised if this one starts right after Proper is delivered. By then, 70 Rainey, the Independent, 5th and Brazos, and ZaZa's units will have been completed or be close to finishing up and when does everyone expect the next cycle to begin? It can't be perpetual.

I could see this building and 99 Trinity being more like 4 to 5 years out, especially if Waller Park Place happens.

Also the BISNOW article referencing it as residential would seem to send the Facebook tower rumor onto life support at best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:19 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
A nice door
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In a low-rise
Posts: 4,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
14 floors, 152' (6 residential levels built on top of an 8-level parking podium). Just kidding, how many people smashed their computers?

Joking aside, I'd be surprised if this one starts right after Proper is delivered. By then, 70 Rainey, the Independent, 5th and Brazos, and ZaZa's units will have been completed or be close to finishing up and when does everyone expect the next cycle to begin? It can't be perpetual.

I could see this building and 99 Trinity being more like 4 to 5 years out, especially if Waller Park Place happens.

Also the BISNOW article referencing it as residential would seem to send the Facebook tower rumor onto life support at best.
The Facebook rumor was never a real thing. It was just online skyscraper nerd speculation.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:14 AM
Tech House's Avatar
Tech House Tech House is offline
Harbinger of Skullduggery
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
14 floors, 152' (6 residential levels built on top of an 8-level parking podium). Just kidding, how many people smashed their computers?
I actually said "What the FUCK!?!" out loud and I could feel my cortisol and adrenaline levels spiking. Glad you cleared it up quickly before I had a stroke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 10:09 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 1,760
More importantly, Tech House, how's the computer? You didn't smash it, did you?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:56 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
A nice door
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In a low-rise
Posts: 4,819
X-posting deerhoof's post in the update thread since we have a thread for Block 185.

I just re-read the posts in this thread and it was quite the mess. I guess that's what happens when we have no real news about a project to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Rendering of block 185 in the Greenwater development can be seen in the marketing video of the 500 W. 2nd St. office building. Not sure if that is what is currently planned but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Video was posted over a year ago according to Vimeo https://vimeo.com/134238116

__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.