HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:29 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
However, if the garage at WPE is truly 6 levels, traffic (cabs, Uber, cars, bikes and pedestrians) will be very congested on the WP peninsula.
So what's your solution? More parking or less?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
I agree that good things are happening at WP, especially the design of the buildings. However, if the garage at WPE is truly 6 levels, traffic (cabs, Uber, cars, bikes and pedestrians) will be very congested on the WP peninsula.

Unless there is plenty of access allowed from Kinzie and, eventually, from a pedestrian and bike bridge over (or a tunnel under) the Chicago River from the RiverWalk on the south side to WP on the north side, I just don't see WPS being as tall as you do..
I'm sorry, but this statement makes zero sense to me. You can easily walk or bike across the Franklin/Orleans bridge from the Riverwalk over to Wolf Point right now. It's already connected. All of this is being built within 2 blocks of a major L stop (Merchandise Mart) and another 4-5 blocks to practically every other L line in the city. And what does that have to do with the height of the tower there? The tower will be as tall as they make it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

How convenient for Hines to leave out 150 Riverside; and really? A 3-car 'L"?

I'm still hoping it'll crack 1,000'.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:23 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
How convenient for Hines to leave out 150 Riverside.
...and Riverside/Hughes left WP out of its renderings of 110 N. Wacker.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:38 AM

Nice looking building....Hope it gets built!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
So what's your solution? More parking or less?
No parking solution from me. The WP PD zoning has included an overly generous max since 1974 - when the neighborhood north of the River was mainly parking lots, light industry and warehouses. I assume the developer will build parking spaces to the max allowed.

But, I do believe WP will be so congested by the maxed parking on the site that Orleans St. will be gridlocked most of the time. That gridlock will need to be alleviated, IMO, by widening Orleans St., granting vehicles access to WP from Kinzie St. and building a bike and pedestrian bridge across the River to handle people coming from the train and rapid transit stations SW of WP.

So far, the development on WP keeps shrinking. WPW is less than the original plans. WPE will be less than the original plans. And, WPS? The latest plans show a narrowed footprint, no billowing above the plaza and the tower backed off the southern tip of WP. Perhaps WPS will be spectacularly high. I'd love that. But, the trend of the development seems lower and smaller (except for those commercial parking spaces).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
No parking solution from me. The WP PD zoning has included an overly generous max since 1974 - when the neighborhood north of the River was mainly parking lots, light industry and warehouses. I assume the developer will build parking spaces to the max allowed.

But, I do believe WP will be so congested by the maxed parking on the site that Orleans St. will be gridlocked most of the time. That gridlock will need to be alleviated, IMO, by widening Orleans St., granting vehicles access to WP from Kinzie St. and building a bike and pedestrian bridge across the River to handle people coming from the train and rapid transit stations SW of WP.

So far, the development on WP keeps shrinking. WPW is less than the original plans. WPE will be less than the original plans. And, WPS? The latest plans show a narrowed footprint, no billowing above the plaza and the tower backed off the southern tip of WP. Perhaps WPS will be spectacularly high. I'd love that. But, the trend of the development seems lower and smaller (except for those commercial parking spaces).
Jarta, I'm sorry, but your lack of a urban planning background and your obvious cluelessness on what properties actually generate traffic, and how much, makes a dialogue with you on this subject probably pointless...

BTW, I was at the Mart the other day, and once again I found it remarkable how desolate Orleans is of traffic (and how wide the viaduct is between the mart and the old Apparel mart)...

Residential buildings barely generate any measurable traffic... they just don't... look it up.

As far as the potential office building located this close to the stations... pretty much the same thing... very little traffic...

A hotel? well, that can produce some activity but I think the existing infrastructure can more than adequately handle it... and then some and then a lot more some... and then, a huge more some!

No need for tunnels under the river or suspension bridges ... (though those would be cool)

Oh, and one more thing, I've designed multi-use projects in the loop for Chicago developers, and they often DON'T build to the max parking allowed, but rather only build to the min required..

Last edited by pilsenarch; Jul 2, 2017 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:39 AM

As we don't have a Wolf Point East thread as of yet I thought I would post this here. If you haven't noticed, it seems the Clark Construction webcam that had followed River Point Plazas (444 w Lake) rise, is now focused on Wolf Point (as of June 27th). Provides a solid view of River North also. Best webcam placement I've seen in a long while

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...iverpointplaza

Cheers

Edit ..After looking at the feed it seems it stopped on Friday at 4PM. Damn

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
As we don't have a Wolf Point East thread as of yet I thought I would post this here. If you haven't noticed, it seems the Clark Construction webcam that had followed River Point Plazas (444 w Lake) rise, is now focused on Wolf Point (as of June 27th). Provides a solid view of River North also. Best webcam placement I've seen in a long while

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...iverpointplaza

Cheers

Edit ..After looking at the feed it seems it stopped on Friday at 4PM. Damn
There's a WPE thread right here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=228891

It's not listed in the Chicago forum yet.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:19 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
How convenient for Hines to leave out 150 Riverside; and really? A 3-car 'L"?

I'm still hoping it'll crack 1,000'.
Such a ruined opportunity if this thing doesn't go taller.

And maybe the rendering is from a Sunday when the trains are shorter?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:24 PM
All-American City Boy

*double post*

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:23 PM
El Barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Such a ruined opportunity if this thing doesn't go taller.

And maybe the rendering is from a Sunday when the trains are shorter?
Since we were never really expecting taller, I don't think 1000' to the roof would be that disappointing. At least it would semi stick out in the area.

It would be a great place for a 400+ meter building but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:17 PM
Exhale solutions.

No such thing as a three car L train in Chicago. Cars are married pairs...2,4,6,8...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:58 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Since we were never really expecting taller, I don't think 1000' to the roof would be that disappointing. At least it would semi stick out in the area.

It would be a great place for a 400+ meter building but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
Chicago has spoiled me. I always want bigger and better for this city.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:29 AM

Nice

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:37 AM

I do hope south tower gets built regardless!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals