HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:58 PM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is online now
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 322
^also Berkshire Hathaway. They bought Fox & Roach Realtors and I don't know if that means the work force has downsized or expanded but it is certainly a transitional time for them where a new space could be beneficial. They could easily take on a majority interest in a Cira II sized project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:40 PM
domodeez domodeez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 335
Surprisingly haven't heard anyone speculate that Brandywine Realty itself could be relocating to Cira II from Radnor. Gotta think this is entirely possible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 6:23 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Surprisingly haven't heard anyone speculate that Brandywine Realty itself could be relocating to Cira II from Radnor. Gotta think this is entirely possible.
that would be nice since they seem to be betting on urban developments in general.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 6:54 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Surprisingly haven't heard anyone speculate that Brandywine Realty itself could be relocating to Cira II from Radnor. Gotta think this is entirely possible.
"Brandywine Tower at Cira Centre" does have a nice ring to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 7:54 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
"Brandywine Tower at Cira Centre" does have a nice ring to it.
Indeed, although I'm sure they'd be happy to find a tenant instead of taking up space themselves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 8:42 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Indeed, although I'm sure they'd be happy to find a tenant instead of taking up space themselves.
They should move to the building anyway, to lead the charge out of the burbs and back into the city. If they want other companies to do that, and move specifically into their buildings, they should be willing to do it themselves.
Of course they wouldn't take the whole building themselves, they would lease much of it out and sell the naming rights.
__________________
"There are two types of countries in the world: Those that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 9:23 PM
christof christof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 463
There was some talk a year or so ago about Vanguard opening an office in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 9:32 PM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 369
Just curious does "Cira" stand for something? is it the developers name? An acronym?
__________________
Travel, Scenic & Architecture Photos at: http://www.pixelmap.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 9:35 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
They should move to the building anyway, to lead the charge out of the burbs and back into the city. If they want other companies to do that, and move specifically into their buildings, they should be willing to do it themselves.
Of course they wouldn't take the whole building themselves, they would lease much of it out and sell the naming rights.
Agreed that they should lead by example (although it would make more sense in one of their "lesser" properties). I recently drove by their office in Plymouth Meeting and reflected upon the incongruity between their location and the "all in" approach that they're taking to the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 11:57 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post
Just curious does "Cira" stand for something? is it the developers name? An acronym?
No I don't believe it stands for anything. The developer is Brandywine Realty Trust, so it's not named after the developer. I think it's just a name they came up with. 'Cira II' would be the 4th tower in the 'Cira Complex.' The first tower 'Cira Centre' was completed in 2005. 'Cira Centre South' involves two towers: 'Evo,' which was completed in 2014 and 'FMC Tower' which is currently under construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:33 AM
Urbanity's Avatar
Urbanity Urbanity is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post
Just curious does "Cira" stand for something? is it the developers name? An acronym?
According to this article in the New York Times from March 2005... Cira has no meaning:
When the first tenants begin moving into the Cira Centre in October, they will be the advance guard for about 2,000 workers. The University City neighborhood is named for the educational institutions there, including the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University and University of the Sciences of Philadelphia. The building's name, however, was the product of brainstorming and has no meaning, the developer said.
http://nyti.ms/1O1Vp9b
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:49 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanity View Post
According to this article in the New York Times from March 2005... Cira has no meaning:
When the first tenants begin moving into the Cira Centre in October, they will be the advance guard for about 2,000 workers. The University City neighborhood is named for the educational institutions there, including the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University and University of the Sciences of Philadelphia. The building's name, however, was the product of brainstorming and has no meaning, the developer said.
http://nyti.ms/1O1Vp9b
It's crazy to read that article, especially how in 2005, a tower rising was a "rare site." Now, there are towers rising in literally every direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:01 AM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It's crazy to read that article, especially how in 2005, a tower rising was a "rare site." Now, there are towers rising in literally every direction.
Pretty cool although the Comcast Center would begin construction two weeks after this article.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:16 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 421
Here is another line that I found to be funny:

"In addition, planners and economic development officials say, the building promises to propel efforts to reinvigorate the riverfront and University City neighborhood, once a forbidding area and one that is still far from thriving."

It's crazy how much change University City has gone through in just 10 years. It went from an area "that is still far from thriving" to everything included in the mind blowing picture that Summers posted about a week ago. In 2016, we have a new "tallest west of the Schuylkill" rising, UCity Square, and almost all of Chestnut and Walnut fully filled in from 30th to 40th. This is why I LOVE my city!
__________________
"'Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia Freedom
From the day that I was born, I've waved the flag"
-Elton John, "Philadelphia Freedom"

Cardinal O'Hara Class of 2013--->Temple University '18
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:41 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Indeed, although I'm sure they'd be happy to find a tenant instead of taking up space themselves.
It'd be cool to see, but since any office space they'd take up would be office space that they'd be leasing to themselves, I suspect that they'd still need a big anchor tenant to make the numbers work.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 10:04 AM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is online now
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 322
New tenant possibility: Morgan and Morgan law firm. They are huge, out of Orlando, used to have Gov. Charlie Crist among their ranks. Just started seeing commercials for them tonight on 6abc. Don't know if they have a long term lease yet though. They will be successful in this market. Although they are lawyers, they were highly respected in Orlando and their commercials extremely recognizable. You'll have their tag line memorized in no time. Morgan and Morgan: For the People.

I feel we should be getting paid by Brandywine RT!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 2:33 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Here is another line that I found to be funny:

"In addition, planners and economic development officials say, the building promises to propel efforts to reinvigorate the riverfront and University City neighborhood, once a forbidding area and one that is still far from thriving."

It's crazy how much change University City has gone through in just 10 years. It went from an area "that is still far from thriving" to everything included in the mind blowing picture that Summers posted about a week ago. In 2016, we have a new "tallest west of the Schuylkill" rising, UCity Square, and almost all of Chestnut and Walnut fully filled in from 30th to 40th. This is why I LOVE my city!
University City is indeed on fire. However, even with the two and half completed Cira buildings, the immediate area around 30th Station still feels like a dead zone. Schuylkill Ave might as well be a highway. The Porch is nice but 30th St Station still feels like an island surrounded on all four sides by traffic lanes, taxi stands, and parking. The Post Office building is beautiful and full of jobs but the building itself is like a fortress that kills street life along Market and Chestnut. There is a dearth of dining/retail in the area. And the elevated nature of Walnut and Chestnut offer no street level experience until 33rd. If you've ever walked to Penn's campus from Center City or 30th Street, you know what I mean.

For all that the Cira complex has added to our skyline, the area immediately surrounding these buildings is still surprisingly a work in progress. Getting people there is an important first step and these buildings accomplish that. But Brandywine, UCD, and the city need to continue to make additional improvements to this area.

P.S., this is not a knock of Brandywine at all. The issues that I described above existed long before the first shovel hit the dirt on the original Cira Center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:23 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 422
Uc

^^^^

They need to do something about this corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...3e58c1!6m1!1e1

Retail there that is street level to Evo and the Post Office Building would really help.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:45 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
^^^^

They need to do something about this corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...3e58c1!6m1!1e1

Retail there that is street level to Evo and the Post Office Building would really help.
Is there even an actual proposal for this lot?

Wasn't there a hotel proposal to the lot immediately West of 30th Street station at 30th and Market that's presently a parking lot?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:05 PM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 181
Drexel at one time had plans for a hotel on the Bulletin lot. Saw 2 different renderings, either one would be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.